Vegas not seeing USB mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas not seeing USB mic

I'm trying to record a real quick 'n' dirty voiceover using a Samson USB mic (actually, I'm doing it a disservice - the quality is not that bad for a <£100 mic.)

The mic is recognised by Cakewalk Sonar but not by Vegas. I can make the Samson the default recording device in Control Panel, so it's recognised there.

Not sure what has changed but I have used this mic at least twice before with Vegas (Pro 8.0c, running under 32-bit XP SP3) - at least, I thought I had!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Did you go to Options - Preferences to the audio tab and see if it needs to also be selected there?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hello Edward,

Yes, indeed. In the Audio Device Tab, under Audio Device Type, I get the normal three choices: Microsoft Sound Mapper, Direct Sound Surround Mapper and Windows Classic Wave Driver.

In the Default Audio recording Device I get Microsoft Sound Mapper, Microsoft Sound Mapper-Left and Microsoft Sound Mapper-Right.

Just noticed the same thing in Sound Forge and the demo of Vegas Pro 9. They also don't see the Samson.

I'd be less confused if this was across the board, but the fact that I can see and use the mic in Sonar without any issues has thrown me.
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you can select your usb mic as the default audio recording device in the windows audio control panel, you should then be able to hear it in Vegas when you select "microsoft sound mapper".

Or, did you already try this?
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Seth, you're quite right. I had, in fact, tried that and it had failed. I since rebooted (several times) and I guess I failed to try it again until you suggested it. I imagine something got messed up that was cleared in the reboot and I think I was getting hung up on why I couldn't see the device name in the Audio Devices tab. Thanks for the help
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #6
Old Boot

Sometimes USB devices just AREN'T Plug n Play. They do need to have the option of a reboot, being kicked-up their own fundamentals. I've had it with USB Keyboards, cameras, mice and my A4 graphics tablet. If I don't use the USB device for a long period of time, then something DOESN'T happen, and I need to prep the pc with a USB-reboot.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Grazie,

What's odd is that it is immediately recognised (by name) by other applications, just not the Sony apps (on any of the machines I've tried it on). As Seth pointed out, it records OK when Microsoft Sound mapper is selected, so it is 'plug 'n' playing', but I could have sworn that it had previously shown up as a specifically named device. I can only imagine I must be mistaken.

When you say a 'USB reboot' what exactly does that entail?

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Was it plugged in BEFORE Vegas was loaded? Vegas and Sound Forge seem to take the attached peripherals status when they are loaded. IF some somethings are plugged in afterwards they don't see them.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

A good thought, Ron. Sadly I tried both ways and still no joy :(

I also tried it plugged in at boot up, unplugged at boot up, under Win 7, Vista and XP. Same thing. Sonar sees it, Skype sees it. Sony apps do not. The Samson help site doesn't give any ideas but I have raised a trouble ticket. (As an aside, searching on 'Windows 7' on their site returns no results!).
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #10
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
When you say a 'USB reboot' what exactly does that entail?
I call a USB reboot, a "USB reboot", when I disconnect ALL my USB Device, turn off PC, reboot and THEN re-connect each and everyone separately those same USB devices. It is not as if I am rebooting from a USB drive or stick, or whatever. Simply a reboot devoted to re-connecting my USB devices.

"Simples!"

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Ah OK, yes that sounds like a good thing to try.

Cheers, Grazie. Have a warm weekend! (We have ground to a halt here under a paltry three inches of snow! Ridiculous!)

Ian . . .
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I know this may sound a bit weird, but I had a similar problem with Sound Forge - not with a USB microphone, but with a USB external sound module which just wasn't on the list of available sources. An internet forum directed me to asioforall - Google will find it. This solved the problem for me on the one computer that was awkward. No idea why?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...