DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas freeze for 30 sec then comes back to life (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/469748-vegas-freeze-30-sec-then-comes-back-life.html)

Yang Wen December 20th, 2009 05:39 PM

Vegas freeze for 30 sec then comes back to life

Vegas 9c has been doing this consistent and strange lock-up while editing.. quite often, when I hit play, it would lock up to the point where the Title Bar shows (Not Responding), indicating the app has freezed. At first, I expected an eventual crash, but it comes back to life after 30secs. This behavior is extremely consistent. I'm working on a 1080P project and all media are Cineform files. Running Vegas 64bit on Win7 64 with 8GB of RAM.

One theory I have is the ESATA card I'm using with my external RAID tower.. perhaps there is some bug with my RAID system? If anyone else is having this identical symptom without my disk setup, then I can safely say it's Vegas bug.

Yang Wen December 20th, 2009 05:47 PM

Okay just recreated the error again.. this time the freeze occurred right after the clip playback got screwed up with the distorted audio - You know when the audio get's all "clicky" as if Vegas was playing back 2 frames in a loop....

Art Varga December 20th, 2009 10:04 PM

Yang - I experience the (not responding) freeze in vegas when the external drive I'm using (Western Digital My Book) has to "wake up" from inactivity. The newer drives seem to have an energy saving feature that puts them into this hibernation mode. Not sure if this is what you may be experiencing.

Yang Wen December 20th, 2009 10:18 PM

Well this freeze occurs during playback so the driver tower should not be in sleep mode. The OWC Qx2 RAID tower I use has a very distinct sleep mode so I know when it goes into sleep and when it wakes up.

Anyone else familiar with the audio "stutter/click" I described? Is that related to disk access or something else? I used to get this audio effect quite often at then end of a clip capture (Like when I click "Stop") from a DV Firewire deck.

James Harring January 1st, 2010 02:10 PM

Freeze up

You may want to get systernals process explorer or Thesycon dpc latency check and look at DPC's (deferred procedure calls). If this value is too high you would get issues that you described. Systernals is more geeky, the Thesycon may be easier to interpret.

If you see an unacceptable amount of DPC's, the resolution can be a little difficult. I've used Glint system monitor and systernals tools (Filemon) to "dig in" to the os to see what's sucking up the cpu. Many times it's a driver, but not always.

New OS versions tend to cause a lot of headaches, as the developers too have to go thru the learning curve of the new OS. Win7 introduces a new driver model and I expect some hardware device makers to issue a multitude of revisions.

Finally, be sure all firmware (BIOS) is current, especially motherboard, video card and hardware RAID.
Good luck.