DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVDA 5 showing wrong size for meda, won't burn (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/469974-dvda-5-showing-wrong-size-meda-wont-burn.html)

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 09:37 AM

DVDA 5 showing wrong size for meda, won't burn

OK, my project mpg is 4.3 mb, the audio is 140 MB. DVDA says the project is 5GB, too large too fit. Never in 4 years has this happened...anyone have a clue?

I'd like to burn this today, the bride wants her video, and I would like the money.

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 09:43 AM

Does anyone know where I can download DVDA 4.5? I used to know how to find the old versions, but I can't now.

Edit: Found it at http://download.sonymediasoftware.co.../dvdarchitect/

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 10:57 AM

I downloaded 4.5 and same issue...this it weird. I have a customer waiting and I can't burn this disc, frustrating.

Wait, it is letting me burn, I think, even though it thinks it's too big.

Tom Roper December 24th, 2009 02:12 PM

4400 MB is about all you can get on a DVD4.7 disk. Either shrink it down, or use dual layer.
Or author it to an iso image, then you know the true size. Burning apps like to reserve some headroom on the disk.

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 02:29 PM

Tom the project is less than 4.4, and I have burned them larger before...don't get it. I've never had one report to be 5 GB as it is now. I've burned hundreds of these, and I've never had this happen before.

Don Bloom December 24th, 2009 02:57 PM

Jeff,
I know the frustrations you're feeling. I can't give a definitive answer but on the occassions when DVDA tells me it can't render because it overreads the size, what I have done is first check the project TL to make sure I didn't accidently leave stuff on the end way down the TL. If that's not the case then I have no choice but to rerender the project which I do unhappily, and that has seemed to take care of it.
I'm suer it's not what you want to hear but it's the only way I know to fix it.

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 02:58 PM

Damn, Don, I never checked the timeline, and I'm 5 minutes away from completing my 10th or so re-render...I'll check it after it finishes, thanks for the tip.

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 03:09 PM

I guess it is just too large...I'm sure I have burned this size before, but I must not be lowering the bit rate enough...thanks for the help guys...timeline is clear...I just lowered the bit rate and am trying again.

Don Bloom December 24th, 2009 03:35 PM

Jeff,
if the project is 145 minutes as Iread earlier then according to my BR chart from Edwards newletter the BR should be MAX: 8, AVG: 3961 and LOW: 2 with AC3 audio. This is VBR.

I've gone lower for clients that want a 3 hour seminar on 1 DVD for edit choices and it's played in every DVD I put it in, although the quality does take a hit at a BR that low. At the above numbers you should be fine as long as it's not going to be shown on a really big screen-like 65 inch or bigger.

Jeff Harper December 24th, 2009 05:33 PM

Don, that was really going above and beyond to come up with those numbers, thank you.

As you can tell by the time she did not get her video, and I did not get paid! It'll get done using your numbers, thanks!

Don Bloom December 24th, 2009 06:24 PM

Sorry I should have given you those before. No biggy, download Edwards newsletter with the numbers-I keep it at my edit desk all the time. Vol #1 No. 7.

Hope it all works out for you.

Ben Longden December 25th, 2009 02:22 AM

This issue happened once to me with DVDA5.

I still dont know what caused it to play up, but I got so cranky with it I just switched the PC off.. no shutdown, just a merciless power off.

It got the message and worked shortly afterwards....

Ben