DVDA 5 showing wrong size for meda, won't burn at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DVDA 5 showing wrong size for meda, won't burn

OK, my project mpg is 4.3 mb, the audio is 140 MB. DVDA says the project is 5GB, too large too fit. Never in 4 years has this happened...anyone have a clue?

I'd like to burn this today, the bride wants her video, and I would like the money.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Does anyone know where I can download DVDA 4.5? I used to know how to find the old versions, but I can't now.

Edit: Found it at http://download.sonymediasoftware.co.../dvdarchitect/
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I downloaded 4.5 and same issue...this it weird. I have a customer waiting and I can't burn this disc, frustrating.

Wait, it is letting me burn, I think, even though it thinks it's too big.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Trustee

4400 MB is about all you can get on a DVD4.7 disk. Either shrink it down, or use dual layer.
Or author it to an iso image, then you know the true size. Burning apps like to reserve some headroom on the disk.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Tom the project is less than 4.4, and I have burned them larger before...don't get it. I've never had one report to be 5 GB as it is now. I've burned hundreds of these, and I've never had this happen before.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jeff,
I know the frustrations you're feeling. I can't give a definitive answer but on the occassions when DVDA tells me it can't render because it overreads the size, what I have done is first check the project TL to make sure I didn't accidently leave stuff on the end way down the TL. If that's not the case then I have no choice but to rerender the project which I do unhappily, and that has seemed to take care of it.
I'm suer it's not what you want to hear but it's the only way I know to fix it.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Damn, Don, I never checked the timeline, and I'm 5 minutes away from completing my 10th or so re-render...I'll check it after it finishes, thanks for the tip.
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I guess it is just too large...I'm sure I have burned this size before, but I must not be lowering the bit rate enough...thanks for the help guys...timeline is clear...I just lowered the bit rate and am trying again.
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Jeff,
if the project is 145 minutes as Iread earlier then according to my BR chart from Edwards newletter the BR should be MAX: 8, AVG: 3961 and LOW: 2 with AC3 audio. This is VBR.

I've gone lower for clients that want a 3 hour seminar on 1 DVD for edit choices and it's played in every DVD I put it in, although the quality does take a hit at a BR that low. At the above numbers you should be fine as long as it's not going to be shown on a really big screen-like 65 inch or bigger.
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Don, that was really going above and beyond to come up with those numbers, thank you.

As you can tell by the time she did not get her video, and I did not get paid! It'll get done using your numbers, thanks!
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Sorry I should have given you those before. No biggy, download Edwards newsletter with the numbers-I keep it at my edit desk all the time. Vol #1 No. 7.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #12
Regular Crew

This issue happened once to me with DVDA5.

I still dont know what caused it to play up, but I got so cranky with it I just switched the PC off.. no shutdown, just a merciless power off.

It got the message and worked shortly afterwards....

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...