Mixing frame rates (whoops) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Mixing frame rates (whoops)

I shot a scene for a short documentary a few years ago with an XL1S and had to put the project on hold. I recently went back to finish the project (had to used an XH A1 cause I no longer has the XL1S) and had to take some more footage. In an attempt to keep the footage looking the same I put the XH A1 in 4:3 SD mode and shot the footage. I then captured the footage with Vegas like normal and began editing.

Here is the problem:
I am having bad interlacing problems / and and overall poor image quality with the XH A1 footage despite trying to use different methods of fixing it including upper, progressive and the lower field options (right clicking the clip/ properties/ media / field order) but nothing works. The footage looks great in the preview window (no interlacing) but looks terrible when rendered to an NTSC DV AVI. The XL1S footage looks fine.

Here are links to each of the clips properties:
XL1S - http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...pillow/SS2.jpg
XH A1 - http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...ypillow/SS.jpg

As you can see the XH A1 footage says "(removing 2-3 pulldown)" AND (while posting this) I JUST noticed that the FRAME rates are totally different...one is 29.9 and the other is 23.9....

How do I fix this without recapturing the footage?
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Major Player

this doesn't look good...

No ideas?
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

have you tried rendering the new footage alone to see what happens and/or have you tried rendering to mpeg 2 to see what happens? Those are the first two things I would try.

I wouldn't think it is a capture issue, but who knows.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Please forgive me if I'm suggesting the obvious, but have you turned off frame blending - disable resampling?
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
have you tried rendering the new footage alone to see what happens and/or have you tried rendering to mpeg 2 to see what happens? Those are the first two things I would try.
Ya I have, nothing I can do gets rid of the interlacing so far. The interlacing is in the actually raw footage. I need to somehow deinterlace it.

Ya, Rainer, I've tried that as well.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Did you try interpolating? (File/properties/deinterlace method).
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #7
Trustee

sorry if this sounds like a newb answer, but this always works.
I have occasionally had files that no matter what I did in Vegas, and I tried everything, could not get rid of the "jaggies", in desperation,
I opened the file in After Effects and it just knows how to fix it, dont know how or why, so now whenever I have a problem file it goes straight into AFX, render it to Lagorith or PhotoJpeg, then back to Vegas.
Please enlighten me if anyone knows why this works.
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...