Rendering Xvid Codec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Rendering Xvid Codec

Anyone know how to render using the Xvid Codec in Vegas Pro 8.0?
Xvid.org: Home of the Xvid Codec

I downloaded and installed the XviD Codec 1.2.2 and then re-started Vegas, but I don't see anything when I go to "render as" and search for it under the drop downs.

I am trying to render out a 20min short documentary to a manageable size. The NTSC DV AVI comes out to about 4GB and I was looking for something high quality in the 600-800MB range.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's been a long time since I used Vegas, but I'm not sure why you can't get at XVID for encoding output (should be able to). If you'd like to get even better compression, use H264 instead though.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

My guess is that you get access to Xvid options the same way you do for Divx and that is to choose AVI as a render option.
Then click "Custom", go to the Video tab and select Xvid in the "Video format" dropdown box.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
My guess is that you get access to Xvid options the same way you do for Divx and that is to choose AVI as a render option.
Then click "Custom", go to the Video tab and select Xvid in the "Video format" dropdown box.
This is how it works on my Vegas 9c, you have to be in AVI mode.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #5
Major Player

That did it Mike / Brian, thank you both.

Robert, I will try that H264 option as well, thanks.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
I will try that H264 option as well.
Upside - Better video quality for a given file size.

Downside - Takes more processor power to encode AND play.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

For SD, the extra CPU power needed isn't really a big deal with any reasonably modern computer (especially with a multi-core CPU). You can also turn off CABAC when encoding, which eases the CPU load considerably (for both encoding and playback as well), and it only costs you about 10% more in file size to get the same quality (still an improvement over XVID, DIVX, etc.).

For those who really want to crush file size as much as possible, using Nero's AAC encoder (free) will give you an advantage over MP3 audio encoding (especially with SD, since audio is a greater % of total file size). At real low bitrates (like 48Kbps) the quality is considerably better. I don't know if you can use AAC in an AVI wrapper though. I've only used it with MP4 wrappers.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...