DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Still Image Timelapse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/470191-still-image-timelapse.html)

Ken Diewert December 29th, 2009 11:08 PM

Still Image Timelapse

I've got a project coming up where I'm going to shoot a still image timelapse with either a Canon 5d2 or a 50d using the 80n3 interval timer. I've shot timelapse in video with mixed results, so I'm going to try a few using stills only.

From what I understand, i just save the images to a folder and import the first, then check 'open a still image sequence, and enter the last number of the last frame.

I'm using 8.0c and if anyone has done a still timelapse I'd appreciate any tips. I tried importing some jpegs as a test run, but was stymied when the sequence was broken which it often is so I could only get 20 or so frames at a time.

I'm assuming - though may be wrong - that the default setting will be 30 (or 29.97) fps. In which case I'd plan to shoot xxxx number of frames for xxx duration final output. The output is web so I'll just set up for low res jpegs unless someone warns me otherwise. I'll try one or two in advance of the project to try it out - though I don't like running up the shutter counts on cameras just for the hell of it. - at those shooting rates it's about 1,800 shutter clicks per finished minute.

Mike Kujbida December 30th, 2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

From what I understand, i just save the images to a folder and import the first, then check 'open a still image sequence, and enter the last number of the last frame.
That's correct.

Quote:

I tried importing some jpegs as a test run, but was stymied when the sequence was broken which it often is so I could only get 20 or so frames at a time.
The key is to ensure that every image is sequentially numbered, no exceptions!!
You can use an app like IrfanView (it's free) to properly renumber a broken sequence.

Quote:

I'm assuming - though may be wrong - that the default setting will be 30 (or 29.97) fps. In which case I'd plan to shoot xxxx number of frames for xxx duration final output. The output is web so I'll just set up for low res jpegs unless someone warns me otherwise. I'll try one or two in advance of the project to try it out - though I don't like running up the shutter counts on cameras just for the hell of it. - at those shooting rates it's about 1,800 shutter clicks per finished minute.
The output is whatever you tell it to be.
Personally, I'd render a full frame full resolution AVI (use Best mode for this) and then downsample it as desired.

Ken Diewert December 30th, 2009 05:59 PM

Thanks Mike,

What I meant was when I'm importing the images as a still sequence - the default duration of each still is one frame - or 1/30 second. I'm pretty sure this is correct. That way if I plan to shoot 900 images over 8 hours, then the show duration would be 30 seconds. Or if I wanted the show to be 60 seconds, I'd plan to shoot 1800 frames or 8 hours or whatever time period.

Mike Kujbida December 30th, 2009 08:07 PM

Ken, my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Yes, your math is correct.

Edward Troxel December 31st, 2009 07:44 AM

If you want the show to be longer, go into the preferences and set the new still image length to the length you want them to be, select all the images in the Explorer window, and then drag the FIRST image to the timeline. All the other images will follow behind it and be set to the length you specified.

Ken Diewert December 31st, 2009 06:56 PM

Great tip, Thanks Edward. This is for a specific project. But I may try some more as I've seen some stunning work by a member here at Timescapes Timelapse