DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   NeoScene Footage..Vegas Crashes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/470631-neoscene-footage-vegas-crashes.html)

Peter Ferriero January 7th, 2010 10:43 PM

NeoScene Footage..Vegas Crashes

Months went by with no Vegas problems..but here I am again...with MAJOR Vegas problems..
Using Mark II Footage..of course Vegas can't handle that on its own..so I used NeoScene to transfer..that part worked great..was able to edit footage..now when trying to render a 5 minute video for Vimeo..keeps crashing at all points..tried to render in multiple formats..moved all footage directly on C Drive and getting crashes near 80%.. a annoying message comes up that says Vegas has stopped working, and an option to report the incident, as if that would help the 100 times its happened today..anyone know of what causes this message to pop up?

Bill Binder January 8th, 2010 05:52 PM

Going to need way more info for this. 32 bit or 64 bit Vegas? OS?

Brian Luce January 9th, 2010 12:44 AM

Let me guess, W7 right?

Buba Kastorski January 12th, 2010 10:05 PM

I have the same situation, well a bit worse,
5Dmkii footage converted to avi in neoscene plus RED footage converted to prores, but I think problem is in the neoscene files,
basically because of this problem I went 64 bit OS and Vegas, and got the much faster i7,
but the problem is still there
I've tried to replace avi files with the originals from 5D, but then I'm getting red thing instead of footage
the only thing that helps, is to reduce the number of files in project media window, I edit in shorter segments and keep there only clips that are used in the segment , not the whole thing, but Vegas still crashes from time to time, and I seriously think to try some other NLE,
but what software can give me real time preview with no pre-render?

Cliff Etzel January 13th, 2010 12:02 AM

Give Edius Neo Booster trial a work over - once you work with it fully for 30 days you will not look back. I ditched Vegas Pro for Edius Neo (and eventually Edius 5.x) and it was a breath of fresh air.

Edward Troxel January 13th, 2010 08:26 AM

Cliff, I have a copy of Edius for testing some things. I find it much more difficult to use than Vegas. Nothing is where I think it should be. So it's really a matter of the user as to which will "be a breath of fresh air".

Phil Hendren January 13th, 2010 01:23 PM

I'm a vegas user but not an expert by any means. However, I do work with computers professionally (tech support, hardware, etc). When you get the error that asks if you want to report it (upon crashing) there should be a spot where you can look at the details and see the specific error info (it will usually give you some error text and a specific filename such as sv9n.dll - just a made up example, etc). Armed with the specific error details you can google them and see what you find.

If that doesn't work you could try running Windows task manager when it usually crashes and watch the system resources to see if that is your issue (although the task manager is going to use resources itself).

How much RAM do you have and how much available disk space on the OS main partition? How large are the files you are working with?

Dave Haynie January 16th, 2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ferriero (Post 1469404)
Months went by with no Vegas problems..but here I am again...with MAJOR Vegas problems..
Using Mark II Footage..of course Vegas can't handle that on its own..so I used NeoScene to transfer..that part worked great..was able to edit footage..now when trying to render a 5 minute video for Vimeo..keeps crashing at all points..tried to render in multiple formats..moved all footage directly on C Drive and getting crashes near 80%.. a annoying message comes up that says Vegas has stopped working, and an option to report the incident, as if that would help the 100 times its happened today..anyone know of what causes this message to pop up?

The worst problems I've ever had with Vegas were actually due to weird hardware issues. Basically, Vegas got all crashy when I managed to get significant thrashing on a hard drive. Not that you want that anyway, but too many huge assets at once all coming from the same drive, rendering to and from the same drive from 100GB Cineform files, calling up dozens of 6-12Mpixel JPEGs and PNGs to mix with video, etc. has in the past made it a very bad day for Vegas. Vegas 9 is much more less likely to crash on this than Vegas 8 was, but I'm also careful to use multiple drives, and also composite in stages when things get really complex. Don't know if this is involved in your rig or not, but it couldn't hurt to look at how much data you're actually demanding per second.