Time lapse/Virtualdub at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Time lapse/Virtualdub

Any one here had have used virtualdub to do your time lapse with still photos? if so, can you please post some detail how it is done. Ive try but it don't seem to work. I got 100 still pictures and all have been renamed in this order # 1 - #100 when I try to import the picture I got this error JpegDecoder Unsupported encoding. And other times I am able to load the Jpeg just fine but I got the same error message when I save it. Your input is appreciated.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I just use Vegas - it can load image sequences just fine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Trustee

That's odd - I just open the first image in the sequence and Vdub automatically loads all of them, one per frame.

Are they huge images that are perhaps creating a memory issue?

Try resaving (and resizing?) a few in an image editor and see if those will load.

(If you find that works, there are freeware batch jpeg tools that would let you resave your whole sequence painlessly).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Phung View Post
...all have been renamed in this order # 1 - #100...
Try renaming them 001 - 100 and see if that helps.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
I just use Vegas - it can load image sequences just fine.
Edward, will you please tell me how it done in Vegas with still image because I can't figure it out how it done.

Graham, the still image are not huge and memory? I got 6gig DDR3 should not be a memory problem at all.

Mike, I try to rename as you suggested 001-089 and does'nt work. What odd about is that, example, I load image 001 and I got an error, unsupported JpegDecoder. I then load image 002 and it load fine but just 1 image, when I try to load image 089 and got an error.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #6

File - Import - Media, pick the first image in the list, and on the bottom of that dialog check the "Open Still Image Sequence" checkbox and make sure the ending number is correct.
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Edward,

Thank you. Image sequence only allow 1-21 still pic at a time? I got 1-89 but it will only allowed me to do 1-21. I change the ending number to 89 but it still showing up last number as 21. Any more tips?
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Bruce, in my experience, the only way this can happen is if all the images are not sequentially numbered.
My guess is, that if you take a look, you'll see image #21 and then image #23 which is why it will stop at image #21.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Mike,

You are right. I went back and look, it missing 22. Thank you.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #10
New Boot

select all the photos and drag them on the timeline. Vegas will automatically add the photos back to back on the timeline in the order they were in the folder. be sure to drag them from the first image, as w/e image you drag from will be placed at the start of the sequence.

To set the duration of each photo on the timeline go to preferences -> editing tab -> new still image length. The value .07 gives you 2 frames per image (15fps @ 29.970) and is a good starting point. you also want to make sure the "automatically overlap multiple selected media" is not checked - it will screw you up.
Arri Arava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #11

Arri, what you said adds all images to the timeline (as you said) but as a separate event for each picture. When adding as an "Image Sequence", each photo is automatically "1 frame long" and the entire sequence appears as ONE event instead of hundreds.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #12
New Boot

True, both ways work. I use the one I described since it allows for easier individual image control. the beauty of vegas is that you can do the same thing in two or three different ways, some benefiting a specific workflow.

Last edited by Arri Arava; January 14th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Arri Arava is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...