Best practices for ongoing access at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best practices for ongoing access

Hope this is not too basic, but I need to know & have not found the right way yet. I have a client with whom I am recording a large number of individual training segments, each specific to a specific task. He is ordering them from me on DVD in groupings according to his client requests - one person want to see tasks 1-10, another wants to see 11-21, etc. They have been captured using a Firestore, if that makes a difference.

Currently I have them saved by date recorded, since this is a longterm and ongoing project, it seemed the easiest way to catalogue them. As now I have gone in and edited numebrous dvd's off them, periodically I find that Vegas Pro 9 says a file has been moved.
It seem to result from my being lazy and using a segment of a prior edited piece to include in the next grouping.

1 - is this critical?
2 -what is the best way to address my weird situation?
3 - should I never use a segment previously edited, but always go back to the original capture and lose any work done on effects (color correction, audio, etc)?

Thank again guys, you have all been an invaluable asset and resource for me and it is sincerely appreciated.
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Bill

Vegas should be able to use a video clip in as many projects as you need. All I can think of off the top of my head is when you save a current project maybe you have the checkbox that says "save media with this project" enabled????

In fact you can even use a clip multiple times in a project!! The only time a file would be moved is if you are saving the veg file to a location that's different to the video files

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...