DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Want know how everybody archives their video. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/471087-want-know-how-everybody-archives-their-video.html)

Bruce Phung January 15th, 2010 05:15 PM

Want know how everybody archives their video.

This is strickly for family home video. I want know how every body archive their families video. Do you archive the original footages or finish edited footages? which way to go?

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2010 05:17 PM

Thread title changed from "Just want to know" to "Want know how everybody archives their video." Please avoid ambiguous thread titles on this site. Thanks in advance,

Seth Bloombaum January 15th, 2010 05:52 PM

My final projects are typically archived as a DVD image, to facilitate easy burns in the future.
Camera tapes are kept on the shelf.
Captures and .veg are kept on a hard drive. When the drive gets full, it goes on the shelf.

This is for professional use, where the client may show up 18 months later and want to do new work on a previous project, etc.

This isn't the maximum one could or should do - a single hard-drive copy is a little risky. I really should save the .veg, at least, to a second drive.

People who are shooting tapeless go further than this. Tape is a pretty stable archive medium.

I don't know where this leaves you for family video, if it matters a lot you might do something like the above.

Marty Welk January 15th, 2010 06:06 PM

for my OWN home stuff i dont fret over it as hugly, a good DVD of the final is enough for me, make that 2 when important. the DVD must be compatable and "well burned" so it will play on about anything later on. I am not going to get fingerprints all over my own stuff, and i am unlikly to re-edit it. I am not going to sue myself, and i am carefull with all media, proper storage, care, and organisation.
Paying customers i never know what they will do with anything they are handed, and they do request changing format, piecing (re-use of portions) and re-mastering, so data for them must be kept in something other than an "output" format, even if i store both also.

Jason Robinson January 15th, 2010 06:43 PM

lots and lots of SATA HDDS. I have (at last count) 2 x 500GB, 4 x 1TB, and 2 x 1.5TB drives to store all my projects. in addition to the 3 x 320GB internal drives on my workstation.

Jeff Harper January 15th, 2010 09:45 PM

I use two 1TB drives I use for long term storage of everything of mine. This includes all software that I own, music, personal video, documents. The only thing I have off my storage drives are my windows OSs which I leave on disc.

The first drive is the working drive, where I save changes to my websites, etc and add new media, music, etc. then I copy the entire contents of the drive every so often to the other drive which I will reformat prior to copying. I'm extremely anal about backup. I've got personal video, photos, and other things I've been hauling around for over ten years and never lost a thing. I should add that while I"m reformatting my backup drive I temporarily store all of the first drives contents on a third drive so I always have 2 copies...never just one.

Bill Spearman January 15th, 2010 10:05 PM

What do you use to access the drives? A dock, or Drobo, etc?

Meryem Ersoz January 15th, 2010 11:20 PM

LTO-4 tape, for tapeless acquisition backed up to a solid, tape-based archival medium. $45/800 gb tape...

Jeff Harper January 15th, 2010 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One is an external esata and the other internal sata. I like to run them off separate HD controllers to lessen the chance of losing both due to a power surge or loss. They both run 24/7 because they run off a dedicated PSU (for the HDs only). In times of bad weather I will power down the drives, but most of the time I just leave them running, not that it is necessary, I just don't like to power them up and down much.

Fred Foronda January 16th, 2010 01:42 PM

I keep original tapes, edited m2t on a separate HD, edited m2t printed on tape, dvd, and now on blu ray. The .veg and dvda files for now I just leave it on my computer. I would take it steps further if it wasn't a hobby ; )

Arri Arava January 16th, 2010 10:16 PM

I have my miniDV tapes from the camera as the master archive...all fresh captured video is organized in project folders and stored on a RAID 5 array inside my workstation. older projects are moved to high capacity esata external drives. backups sit on high capacity sata drives that are piled up next to a sata dock which i use to access them. everything is backed up at least twice...even the data on the raid array gets backed up to a dedicated internal sata drive.