Help with video editing PC purchase at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with video editing PC purchase

I'm just about to buy a new PC, custom built, for editing purposes with my Canon XH-A1 mainly to be used with Sony Vegas, but also the Newtek Speededit program on occasion. Here's what I'm considering, and I'd just like to know if I'm spending my money wisely ($2,000 Canadian) on the following components.

Intel i7 920 CPU with heatsink in case I decide to overclock it at some point.
Asus P6T X58 ATX motherboard
Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 memory
Corsair HX750 power supply
Geforce GTX-260 core 216 video card
3 Western Digital Hard drives - 2x 1TB Sata 2 7200rpm, and 1 640mb Sata 2 7200 drive. 2 will be configured in Raid using the motherboard, and the hard drives all have a 32mb buffer.
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit edition
Samsung 23" monitor - I can't afford an IPS panel
Basic keyboard/mouse, and an Antec 300 computer case.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can considering my budget, and if I should consider changing anything.

Thanks.
Brett Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The only thing I'd change in there is to something other than the home edition of Win7. Other than that, looks like you've got it pretty well sewn up.
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you can live with 32 bit, I'd consider XP Pro. XP has a habit of just working. I wouldn't get near W7 with a 10' pole.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You don't have to live with 32 bit just to run XP. You can run it at 64bit if you like. However, I much prefer Win7 to anything else on the desktop at this point.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies, and it looks like I'll be going with the components I listed. I appreciate the feedback and hopefully I'll be satisfied with my purchase.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Trustee

My only input regards the system drive. a >500GB system drive is probably overkill. I'd put the money into a faster 10k RPM but smaller capacity system drive. I haven't done this on any of my systems, but if I were to build a custom editing machine again, that is what I would use. Budget permitting of course.

Hopefully all video sources will not be on the system drive, and hopefully you can have a separate render drive.

If you put video on a raid (I do this as well), then still consider rendering to a different physical drive (not just a different partition).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input Jason, but even a 300GB WD Velociraptor is more expensive than the 3 drives combined. But your suggestion made me think about going with 4 of the 640GB drives, running 2 of them in Raid0, and then having one for my system and program files, and the other one for backup and other uses. I've read many customer reviews on the 640GB, saying that it's faster than the 500GB version, and also works great in a Raid setup.
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Get a 150GB 10k RPM Velociraptor for the OS and 3x 1TB drive for Raid 5.

I recently DIY a core i7 920 PC overclock to 4GHZ and able to achieve almost real time rendering of 5DM2 clips. I only overclock during render, don't want to kill the CPU too fast.
John Woo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...