Audio Synchronize Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio Synchronize Question

Hi, I'm new to NLE and trying to learn how to edit. I have Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum and was trying to add a audio clip I took with my Olympus LS-10. I am not able to synchronize it exactly. I have, I guess you call it expanded or blown it up so you can see each frame, and it jumps early or after the track in the video when I try to move one way or the other. It's not linear when you move the track. I'm using the 5.1 rear tracks just to experiment. I must be doing something wrong or have something set up incorrectly or do you need the pro version? Thanks for any suggestions!
Greg Thornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Trustee

You mean when you're trying to drag the audio clip left or right to match the audio above it jumps frame by frame, when really you need to put it somewhere in between ?
If this is what you mean then make sure that the "quantize to frames" is switched off, it's along the toolbar at the top of the screen.

Paul.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Be sure to turn "Quantize to Frames" back on after the audio is adjusted so that you don't accidentally move video subframes.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
You mean when you're trying to drag the audio clip left or right to match the audio above it jumps frame by frame, when really you need to put it somewhere in between ?
If this is what you mean then make sure that the "quantize to frames" is switched off, it's along the toolbar at the top of the screen.

Paul.
Yes, that worked! I'll turn it back on. I have a lot to learn, any good books on Vegas or NLE in general? The help in the program is not the best. Thanks again.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

go to Edwardssite and read all the newsletters. while many of them are aimed at Vegas and older versions at that, much of what is written will be applicatable to the "lite version" of Vegas. Until then load in some footage andplay with everything you can. Save each time "Save As" so you still have the original unchanges project since Vegas is non-destructive.
The more you play the more you'll know.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
go to Edwardssite and read all the newsletters. while many of them are aimed at Vegas and older versions at that, much of what is written will be applicatable to the "lite version" of Vegas. Until then load in some footage and play with everything you can. Save each time "Save As" so you still have the original unchanges project since Vegas is non-destructive.
The more you play the more you'll know.
Thanks, looks like some good material there. I assume the paradigm is the same throughout the versions. I guess to get the script abilities ones needs Pro? I've been playing around with Vegas, but every now and then I run into something that I can't figure out, like the "Quantize to Frames". Sometimes it's the new terminology, or I was just trying to figure out how to insert a video in between clips and I used insert "time". Like a lot of things It's going to be learning curve.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I guess to get the script abilities ones needs Pro?

Yes you do and scripts are something I use a LOT as they make a lot of tasks much easier.

Like a lot of things It's going to be learning curve.

Be sure to check out the free Vegas Movie Studio Training Videos on the Sony site.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
I guess to get the script abilities ones needs Pro?

Yes you do and scripts are something I use a LOT as they make a lot of tasks much easier.

Like a lot of things It's going to be learning curve.

Be sure to check out the free Vegas Movie Studio Training Videos on the Sony site.
The training videos are nice. Explains some the of simple things for beginners.

I was trying to render a 20 min video to mp4 and Vegas crashed :( half way thru. It was 15mbps and 1080. It was going to take about 5 hours on my machine! I guess there's no way to debug it. I'll try it in a DVD format. I was able to make a DVD ISO image that plays mp4 on my Blu-ray disk the other day, but it was shorter and less resolution & bit rate.
Greg Thornwall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...