32 or 64 bit, benefits? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Ok, I've upraded to W7 64, 8mb ram and 2 more hard drive (media and render) All seem to work well and render speed seem quicker, but will have to do some larger timelines for a proper test.

Even if there aren't big improvements, going to W7 was a good thing. So much nicer than Vista. At last folder/files in explorer show the way I want them, not how Vista randomly wants to show me!
Cedric Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hmmmm, getting a ton of artifacts when rendering. Didn't have this prob with my old 32bit sys :-(

Off to test the 32 bit version....
Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

Make sure your render settings match what you were using before.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Aaaaah!
My mistake. Before I was rendering @ 1280x720 and my "aritfact" render was at 1920x1080. I think the artifacts/blocky come from too low bit rate for the higher resolution. I just tried 135mill max and 50mill avrage and it came out ok.

All the above done in MainConcept AVC

What are recomended bitrates for good veiwing on a pc??

Thanks
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
Has anyone figured how to use 64 bit without the red picture issue? I went back to 32 bit until that's resolved.
The red picture is not an issue, and it has nothing to do with 32 bits vs. 64 bits. It is a tool for plug-in developers to see they have a bug in their code. Whenever a plug-in writes to an area of memory that is off bounds for it, Sony Vegas displays the red picture (assuming the plug-in does not crash Vegas altogether). Theoretically, an end user should never see the red picture since, theoretically, plug-in developers would see it before releasing their plug-ins and fix their own code.

If you are seeing the red picture in the 64-bit version and not in the 32-bit version, some plug-in has a bug that does not appear in the 32-bit version (of the plug-in) but does manifest in the 64-bit version. This is quite possible, as a lot of coding mistakes are not considered mistakes in the 32-bit environment, but bite after moving to 64 bits. You should note when the red picture happens and which plug-in is causing it, then inform the developer(s) of the plug-in, so he/they can fix it.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Adam, I have to disagree with you on the red frame issue.
There's on on-going discussion on the Sony Vegas forum called video events are sometime RED that you might be interested in reading.

Here's the response one guy got from Sony support when he filed a support ticket.

Yes, it does sound like yours is the same issue since you are seeing red and black frames when using high-definition *.jpg files in Vegas Pro 9.0c. There hasn't been any word of a Vegas Pro 9.0d release date yet. Please check back with us at sonycreativesoftware.com in a few weeks to see if there is any new information. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but do appreciate your understanding.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #22
Trustee

Interesting. Though I have only seen it in the 32-bit version and only when I was writing outside the proper memory area. As soon as I fixed my code, the red frame disappeared.

By the time I was compiling the 64-bit version my code was fixed, so I never saw the problem again.

At any rate, what I said and what the Sony tech support said is not necessarily a contradiction. It is possible some of Sony's own effects have bugs in them. And whether they are built into the executable or are in external plug-ins, the result would be the same.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...