32 or 64 bit, benefits? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 27th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

32 or 64 bit, benefits?

Hi
I have been reading and learning for 2 months.

Atm I'm running Vegas 9c on a 4MB ram, Phenom X4 9650 Quad Core with Vista 32bits.
Editing mt2s and GoproHD. All working fines when running them thru cineform.
However this is just short 3-5 minute projects.

I'm about to order 2 more harddrives (one for media and one to render to) and was thinking of jumping to W7 64 bits and another 4mb of ram. This seem like a good time to do it, if I do it.

Will I notice any performace increase, do people find the 64bit vegas more stable?

Pros/Cons

Thanks
Cedric Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Performance wise small difference, but Windows 7 is nicer, and also has thumbnail feature for mt2 files, which is great. More advanced version of Vista, so yes, I would go for it. No downside other than cost.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

One downside is a lot of filters/plugins won't work in 64bit..

I use 64 for some things but tend to rely more on 32bit due to this.
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I found 64 bit quite a lot faster, but not as reliable.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Major Player

I mostly use the 32 bit version, because the 64 bit, while indeed faster, is too unstable for production work. Keep in mind, that Vegas Pro 9 "64 bit" is actually a hybrid between a 64 bit main program/libraries and some 32 bit legacy codecs and filters. This design has probably led to some of the instability.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You can install Windows 7, then install Vegas 9 32 bit andd 64 bit both, as well as your older version of Vegas. All will run fine, (bugs and all) and you can choose the one that works best for you.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
You can install Windows 7, then install Vegas 9 32 bit andd 64 bit both, as well as your older version of Vegas. All will run fine, (bugs and all) and you {can} have to choose the one that works best for you.
There, I fixed it.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the imput. I will problay go the upgrade route to W7 64 as I find vista a bit of a pain in the a**s.

I can then still use vegas 32 if that works best.

a million more questions in my head, but I'm trawling this whole forum and finding a lot of good stuff.
Cedric Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Has anyone figured how to use 64 bit without the red picture issue? I went back to 32 bit until that's resolved.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I personally have used/abandoned Vegas 9 64 bit numerous times. I am now using it full time with only two issues.

The red frames disappear when I close and reopen, not a biggie. When I change text resolution the text must be copied then pasted, then the original deleted. Again, inconveneint but it is working.

I dislike these bugs, but I really like using the same version of Vegas consistently. I like rendering with 64 bit as it seems to render out better quality in marginally lit scenes. Therefore I am using and sticking with Vegas 64 bit.
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
Has anyone figured how to use 64 bit without the red picture issue? I went back to 32 bit until that's resolved.
I don't get red frames in 64bit. Never been an issue for me.
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The red frames only appear for me on occasion, usually after I leave Vegas for another app, then go back to Vegas. It appears Vegas loses the media when the focus is put onto another program.

For the heck of it I just unchecked the "close media when not the active application" box to see if it stops the red frame issue for me, though as I said it is not a huge issue.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #13
Trustee

the only time I get red frames is with Quicktime 30fps files in 25fps project, and the red frames only appear after a Ram preview, Go figure. And yes ruler is set to absolute frames.
Dont know if that means anything, or not.
On an absolute side random note, I just got my new Satchler FSB4 tripod from B and H, and it seriously is the Jizz, It is awsum.
Have a gr8 night fellas. :)
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

I use the 64 bit all the time now. Have not had any real issues in the newer rendition, at least nothing that could not be readily resolved. I love it for rendering in particular, went up to 12 gigs of ram, like Jeff I prefer to stay with one version.

The red frame has occured for me on occasion, but it has not prevented the program from working. Scared the bejebers out of me the first time! Generally it has not been a problem.

Dale guthormsen
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I produce long-form .VEGs that I must revise after getting feedback from others, and those .VEGs NEVER could render in one piece in my WinXP 32-bit systems (I tried several computers, including an old P4 on an Intel MB that others had claimed would render any .VEG).

So, I'd have to cut them into 2-min. segments (or shorter), render each, then put all the pieces the new timeline to render out to one long Cineform intermediate, then render it to final delivery format. What a time-consuming drag!

I bought Win7-64 in hopes of solving that problem. It worked. I now edit in 8c - which always has been rock-solid for my editing (but not rendering), then put the .VEG into 9c 64-bit for rendering (which gives me too many red frames while editing). I do all this in Win7-64.

I recently bought a pair of Sanyo HD cams and their .mp4 60p codec won't open in 8c; so I also installed 9c-32bit on my Win7 system. I then render them either to Cineform intermediate 60p, or - more often - to PicVideo .AVIs (PicVideo renders faster and yields smaller files sizes, with quality that is almost as good as Cineform even after 6 generations). 9C-64 can open the PicVideo .AVIs out of the box - no need to install any special drivers. I can't render to PicVideo in 9c-64, for the Pegasus 64-bit codec is too expensive; so I use Cineform (from NeoScene).

I don't notice any significant performance improvement (I'm using the same Q6600 on an ASUS P5B that I used with WinXP, but with 8GB RAM instead of 4). Many of my older programs wouldn't install properly (Adobe Acrobat 6, WinZip, Ulead Cool3d that I loved for making animated titles, and several others). However, I have not had any significant stability problems; all my Vegas installations are pretty solid, and Poser only crashes occasionally.

I still boot up in WinXP-32 once in a while, and I have installed the WinXP virtual machine that works inside my Win7 OS; but I rarely need them (I'm using Bluff Titler for titles now - it's OK).

One warning: Don't rely on the built-in Win7 OS backup image creation utility. Recently, my SSD boot drive got whacked during a spectacular thunderstorm (even though I was powering my ASUS through a UPS that always provides power to the computer through the battery system, not directly from the power lines). I panicked when the Repair function of the Win7 installation disk couldn't find the images that I had faithfully been creating. I finally saved my 3+ months of installing and tweaking dozens of programs with the help of Linux (Ubuntu); but I wouldn't want to go through the hours of required work again. So now I gave resumed using the free BartPE with the free DriveImageXML. They have never failed me (I have restored at least a dozen failed boot drives on my various computers), and I just tested with Win7-64, again reinforcing my faith in these great open-source programs.

If you use them, create the image from their boot disk, not from within Win7. Then, after restoring the image to a hard disk, connect that disk to any Windows computer (you can use a $6 Chinese USB>ATA adapter cable for this) and use the Windows Disk Management utility to mark the disk as "active." Then it will boot. Note that if the disk already had been in service as a boot disk, you probably won't need to do this step.
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...