Capturing m2t files turn into AVI files. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Capturing m2t files turn into AVI files.

I can't capture m2t files, they all turn into AVI files. After 2 years the rig just started doing this. I've checked and rechecked all the properties.

I'm using VMSP 9b and have tried from 2 cameras to an external WD drive. I'm pretty sure it's not the FW ports or cable. I think they're either on or off.

Anyone have this happen? Cheers.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

It sounds like you've changed from capturing HD to capturing SD. The "Internal" capture app does HD while the "External" capture app does SD. Also, there's a menu option in the camera that must be changed to switch between SD and HD.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward, this is a project on a deadline which is coming up and this just started happening. Seems both cameras, HV20 and an XHA1 will auto select DV out if the capture program 'wants' a DV feed..?

I'm still using Video Capture 6.0 .. just checked the settings .. they look Ok. What should I look for that could be the problem? Cheers.
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Use the INTERNAL capture app instead of the EXTERNAL one. If you're not given the option when you choose file - capture, go into the preferences and switch it. The internal capture app does HDV.
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Win XP sees both cameras but the internal capture app says .. Device Not Available.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

This would start with windows, then.

In DV mode, your camera will be seen as a Audio/Video device by windows, and have a DV driver assigned to it.

In HDV mode, your camera will be seen as an Imaging device by windows, and have a different driver assigned to it.

Then, Vegas sees the camera that windows provides.

So, I think you need to look further back in your chain for ingest - is it possible that your camcorder or deck is set to downconvert HDV to DV? Is it possible that you've inadvertantly shot some of your projects in DV mode?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #7

I'm still betting there's a menu option in the camera to switch between DV and HDV and right now it's on DV. That's why Windows is picking it up as a DV device and why the HDV capture app can't see it.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Allan

I'm with Edward ...your XH-A1 definately has a menu option that will downconvert to SD and what's happening is XP can see the downconverted SD files and has no option but to make them into the usual DV-AVI files.

I would most definately look at the camera side and I have an idea you will find your solution in the menu and be able to capture HDV again once it's changed!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi guys, I've been away for a weeks birthday celebration. After 2 yrs hot swapping my HV20 without problems, looks like I've blown the FW ports on it and my Canon A1.

The only difference seems to be, I had VMSP 9b and its capture window open ...?

Cheers.
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Update.

Everything works, Edward and Chris were correct.

Put it down to long hours, a very late night and the HV20 menu which has an option .. HDV>DV which to me says, it's down converting but in fact you have to select for HDV out. That started it all.

Thanks everyone for your help. Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...