DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   MXF/Mp4 XDCAM - timeline editing perfomance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/472108-mxf-mp4-xdcam-timeline-editing-perfomance.html)

David Warrilow February 2nd, 2010 12:53 AM

MXF/Mp4 XDCAM - timeline editing perfomance?

Hi all,

just curious as to whether anyone knows if there is - or should be - a performance difference on the Vegas timeline, editing native XDCAm EX mp4 files - compared to editing the same footage as MXF's?

I've been doing some editing on a feature - lots of short, rapid pace stuff and to be honest, the mp4's (at least on my system - quad core 2.4 4Gb Ram) don't seem to edit or playback that smoothly.

For some reason, the mxf 'seem' to cut better. I wonder of there is any basis to this or it's just my fatigued, blurry-eyed imagination.

Regards,

David.

Mark Stavar March 16th, 2010 04:55 PM

Hi David,

this is consistent with my limited experience.

marks

David Warrilow March 17th, 2010 05:05 AM

Hi Mark,
Hey, you're in Brizzy like me!
I eventually went Cineform - (which definitely DOES edit smoother than the mp4's). Nice to know I wasn't completely insane...
Kind regards,

David.

P.S. Checked your site - lovely work, mate.

Robert St-Onge March 17th, 2010 08:05 PM

Hi David,

On my system, it is the opposite (using Vegas 9 with Quad 2.67 6Gb ram)

Native .mp4 from my EX1 plays very well, I can have some 18 hours of footage on the timeline and runs very smoothly.

But I noticed recently that older .mxf files is very memory intensive, while some time ago in Vegas 8, it would play smoothly.

It's hard to pin point problems since my workflow has evolved from .mxf to .mp4 within Vegas 8.0a/b/c to Vegas 9.0a/b/c, 32 and 64 bit versions and from Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit in about 2 years.

Rob

Mark Stavar March 21st, 2010 08:43 PM

It all happens in the mighty BrisVegas!

And thanks for the comp on the site :-) Time for an update ... in my spare time.

marks

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Warrilow (Post 1500817)
Hi Mark,
Hey, you're in Brizzy like me!
I eventually went Cineform - (which definitely DOES edit smoother than the mp4's). Nice to know I wasn't completely insane...
Kind regards,

David.

P.S. Checked your site - lovely work, mate.

Garrett Low March 22nd, 2010 09:47 AM

I cannot directly use the EX MP4 files in my Vegas 8 Pro. It gives me an error whenever I try to pull the file into my timeline.

Garrett

Robert St-Onge March 22nd, 2010 12:38 PM

Garrett,

I believe you can only use the EX .mp4 file in Vegas Pro 9

Rob

Garrett Low March 22nd, 2010 01:04 PM

Thanks Robert,

that would explain it. I haven't made the jump yet to Vegas Pro 9. 8 Works for me now and converting to MXF files isn't that big of deal. On my Quad core it doesn't have any problems until I try to preview in best quality at full.

Garrett

Enrique Orozco Robles March 24th, 2010 12:18 AM

native mp4 ?? .. I was disapointed when discover that Vegas 9' device explorer just creates a new bunch of files (another rewrapping ??) to be read on the timeline !! .... that is not native support !! ... I'm still rewrapping my EX files to mxf with clip browser (as with Vegas 8) with better performance on the timeline than with the supposed new native support....

I have to admit that Premiere HAS better true native support with EX files !!!

my 2 cents,,,,

Robert St-Onge March 24th, 2010 07:11 PM

Vegas 9 will play native files.

Just search for .mp4 files in your BPAV folder and drag them to a folder on your hard drive and onto the timeline. No renaming and works very well.

Vegas device explorer basically renames the file with date and time I believe.

You can even drag the .mp4 file from the BPAV folder onto the timeline and edit from the card, either SxS or SD card if you are in a hurry, haven't fully tested it, but it worked with an SD card and several shots!

Rob

Enrique Orozco Robles March 25th, 2010 10:50 AM

...duh.... Robert, you're absolutely right !! I made a test dragging the mp4-s from the BPAV folder and everything seems OK ..... learning something new every day.... great forum !!!

Robert St-Onge March 25th, 2010 07:08 PM

No problemo Enrique!

This has been my workflow for over 6 months, works great!

Rob