spill suppression in Vegas 9c at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

spill suppression in Vegas 9c

So I have some less than ideal 720p m2t files. Subject is 9 feet from screen, backlit, but she's got bleach blonde surfer girl hair. So she's got spill on her hair. Allegedly there's a way with secondary color corrector to resolve some of this...What are the steps?

Anyone know?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Trustee

I'd be interested in this too. I always have trouble removing spill when keying in Vegas.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sounds more like it's over exposed?

Turn on the histogram - view/videoscopes - and see where the highlights are.

Then use "levels" FX to try to bring them down a bit.
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Brian and Paul

Here you go :

Use the following effects chain:

(1) Chroma Blur set to Medium blur
(2) Chroma Key effect.
(3) Secondary Color Corrector for spill supression

Leave Secondary Colour Correction turned off until you have a solid key. Now that may leave a little green cast on the edges especially around her blonde hair as you have already pointed out.
Now go back and turn off the check box on the Chroma Key effect and then bring up your secondary color corrector. Under FX range, use the eyedropper to select the same general green area that you selected for the chroma key effect. Now slide all of the smooth sliders to the right. Slide the highs and lows for the Luma and the Saturation controls full open and then just adjust the hue width so it looks good. Now go to the top section of the control and desaturate or rotate the hue whilst watching the offending bits only. Don't worry about the green sections as they are going to be removed by the chroma key when you enable it again.

Works pretty well!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hrm, interesting learn something new every day :)

Will this work with any blown highlights or just "spill" in a girl's hair?
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm shooting against a 7'x7' green screen, with talent only about 8' in front of it - with lots of frizzy white hair. Quite a bit of spill, which i've been suppressing with NewBlu's keyer. Pretty effective, except that I lose significant detail in the hair. Would I be better off abandoning NewBlu and adopting this secondary color method?
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM   #7
New Boot

Spill Suppression

Hi Chris,
Having had less than stellar results from the Vegas Keyer I started using Cinegobs Keyer which does have spill suppression. Your method for staying within Vegas was excellent. Thank you for the tip!
Lee Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

The keyer I REALLY like working with is VisualStudio from FXHome ..it has a "one click" spill fix and the ability to create all sorts of mattes too ... makes even badly lit chroma shots "fixable"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Brian and Paul

Here you go :

Use the following effects chain:

(1) Chroma Blur set to Medium blur
(2) Chroma Key effect.
(3) Secondary Color Corrector for spill supression

Leave Secondary Colour Correction turned off until you have a solid key. Now that may leave a little green cast on the edges especially around her blonde hair as you have already pointed out.
Now go back and turn off the check box on the Chroma Key effect and then bring up your secondary color corrector. Under FX range, use the eyedropper to select the same general green area that you selected for the chroma key effect. Now slide all of the smooth sliders to the right. Slide the highs and lows for the Luma and the Saturation controls full open and then just adjust the hue width so it looks good. Now go to the top section of the control and desaturate or rotate the hue whilst watching the offending bits only. Don't worry about the green sections as they are going to be removed by the chroma key when you enable it again.

Works pretty well!!

Chris
Thanks Chris, this looks promising but I'm having some difficulty, or maybe I'm don't understand the procedure. "Full open" means sliding Low to the left and High, right - correct?

Then, I move Hue Width and nothing happens. Should mask be on or anything? What am I looking for? When do I turn the Chroma Key filter on again? Could you elaborate a bit more?
Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...