What bit rates for Blu-Ray, DVD Architect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Trustee

What bit rates for Blu-Ray, DVD Architect

I guys,
I'm having one last go at getting a Blu Ray out of DVD Architect 5.
I have had no luck so far as DVDArc stops half way and produces various errors and right now I don't have this info on me.
When I building the DVD and prep for the build DVDArc says that my bit-rate is to high and needs to get under 28mbps. Now this is weird as I thought Blu Ray had a peak of 40meg and could go an average of 34meg.
My previous renders have been 34mbps avg and peak @ 38mbps

Can anyone help me with this matter and offer me some advice.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Simon,

This is why I mentioned last night... if you are going to do AVC BluRay in DVDA, make the bit rate no higher than 16Mbps. If you are making an Mpeg2 Bluray, then keep the rate at or under 25Mbps.

You can take my advice and make it work.. or you can keep getting errors. I've been and done that. Doing it again tomorrow with a DNxHD .MOV file coming out of FCP.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Perrone,

Thanks for the info. Is this 25Mbps avg? What should my peak be.

Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

"Thanks for the info. Is this 25Mbps avg? What should my peak be."

there is no option for defining peak in DVD-A (least i haven't seen it).

the workflow Perrone is describing is not the same one normally used for authoring DVD's using Vegas/DVD-A, ie: render a great mpeg-2 from Vegas which quickly transcodes in DVD-A).

the workflow is more like:
1) render a high-quality master from Vegas
2) load up a Blu-Ray preset in DVD-A
3) have DVD-A do the rendering from master to mpeg-2

i'm using AVC rather than MPEG-2... haven't tried VC-1 yet (gotta figure out what software to author with).

anyway, been testing AVC bit-rates of 16Mbps and 18Mpbs in DVD-A: tried 25Mbps and after 15-20 minutes the bluray player began having difficulties with playback (strobing, pulldown-like quality to motion)

note: i'm working with 1280x720@23.976 (your mileage may vary)

good luck
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It's truly a sad state of affairs. After more than a dozen attempts of trying to get something workable out of Vegas to go into DVDA without a re-encode, I gave up. I just rendered my master from Vegas for archiving, and then dropped that master into DVDA and let it do the encode. That took I don't know HOW many false starts trying to find a bit rate that actually worked.

This is the total opposite from how I do SD DVDs... but I don't have time to waste when I am trying to deliver product. I've got to push one out the door tomorrow, and it's rendering at the office right now. Every one of these I have done has played perfectly.

As soon as I can move to a better BluRay authoring tool, I am GONE...
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #6
Trustee

Hey Guys,
I'm on Mac and using VMware Fusion to run Windows on my Mac.
Now Perrone are you saying that you render out an AVI from Vegas and them import this into DVD-A and let DVD-A render this out to it's respective files.

I used to be a Vegas user with DVD-A for years and I'm now FCP, Mac of course.
So with Blur-Ray in DVD-A you don't bring in pre rendered files, is this correct?

Cheers
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm on Mac and using VMware Fusion to run Windows on my Mac.
Now Perrone are you saying that you render out an AVI from Vegas and them import this into DVD-A and let DVD-A render this out to it's respective files.

I used to be a Vegas user with DVD-A for years and I'm now FCP, Mac of course.
So with Blur-Ray in DVD-A you don't bring in pre rendered files, is this correct?

Cheers
Essentially, yes this is correct. Except my masters are usually not AVI files. But everything else you said is correct.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm attempting the same thing as Simon Ash. I used to edit in Vegas and have switched to Mac. I still own Vegas 8 with DVDA 5.0b. I have an 8 core Mac Pro with FCP 7. I'm running Windows 7 using Bootcamp to run DVDA. I'm attempting to burn a BD-RE using a Panasonic BDR-205 burner inside the Mac.

Can anyone give specific settings for FCP or Compressor to use in DVDA? Using Compressor, I've tried MPEG-2 and as long as the file has the .mpg extension, DVDA will accept it. The result was not very good at default levels. I'm trying a higher resolution in Compressor but the render is taking 26 hours for a 30 min. movie. I'll report back on those results.

I've tried Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) on an .avi clip and it burned beautifully in DVDA. For some reason DVDA does not accept the ProRes when I export the entire movie. This is all being done in Compressore using the same settings.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Why are you doing ProRes in an AVI? Install quicktime in your bootcamped Win7, export a ProRes file from FCP put that into DVDA, and render out. Works fine (other than the gamma shift). I am currently working with a project where the FCP editor is exporting Avid DNxHD files from FCP and handing them off to me to burn on DVDA. Working beautifully. Just handed a new Blu Ray off an noon today.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Perrone, thanks for responding. What's better for .avi? Just leave it alone and import into FCP or some other render before importing?
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Perrone,
I don't understand why it is so problematic in your case, but I input an MXF file to DVDA, and it renders out to 35mbps AVC Blu-ray iso that plays just fine on the several Blu-ray players I have. I'm living in the past with version 8.0(c), but I don't ever have a problem with either the bit rate or finishing the render. I suspect it's just happy getting MXF for source files.

That said, there's no reason to toil away on something creating so much grief. I know Deank's free authoring app (Doom9 forums) uses TSMuxer to author nice menus, and it's majorly more forgiving since it doesn't insist on fully compliant spec to author flexible output. The name of it escapes me now, but I'll post it later. This is from my Blackberry.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Trustee

I've said this before, but I find the AVC output from DVDA to be exceptional in quality, you just don't get much control with so few parameters beyond bit rate, and it's slow. But being mired at 16mbps is not necessary. The AVC encoder that sucks is the one in Vegas, not DVDA. And for sure, that sorry piece of junk does confine you to 16mbps. Perhaps what's going on is that you are still trying to get DVDA to smart render a source file that came from Vegas? If so, you are indeed trapped to either the Vegas 16mbps AVC or 25mbps mpeg-2 at the default template settings.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Barringer View Post
Perrone, thanks for responding. What's better for .avi? Just leave it alone and import into FCP or some other render before importing?
I have no idea what you just asked me.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Barringer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I've said this before, but I find the AVC output from DVDA to be exceptional in quality, you just don't get much control with so few parameters beyond bit rate, and it's slow. But being mired at 16mbps is not necessary. The AVC encoder that sucks is the one in Vegas, not DVDA. And for sure, that sorry piece of junk does confine you to 16mbps. Perhaps what's going on is that you are still trying to get DVDA to smart render a source file that came from Vegas? If so, you are indeed trapped to either the Vegas 16mbps AVC or 25mbps mpeg-2 at the default template settings.
I am not smart rendering anything. But I am also not putting any MXF files on the DVDA timeline. Maybe if I get bored one day I'll fool with another workflow. Nice to know that someone is having success.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I was able to burn the Blu-ray disk and it looks great. I started with a new sequence and used the ProRes 422 (HQ) files that I converted eariler from camera .AVI I set the A/V settings to match the ProRes. An experimental ten minute video took one minute to export using QT. DVDA took eight minutes to render and burn the BD. I'm having a beer, maybe two/eight to celebrate.
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...