DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas and Redgiant sw. Old editors better than the looks? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/473137-vegas-redgiant-sw-old-editors-better-than-looks.html)

Marcus Martell February 18th, 2010 12:07 PM

Vegas and Redgiant sw. Old editors better than the looks?

Hola,
first of all i have to tell the my issues with MBsuite are still there.....
So i went back to my old company (spanish tv) and i asked if they were showing my same issues with the MBLOOKS. No they don't, they have my same pc and they can run the Red Giant suite but they were having this crazy slow down process on the renders! They told me that for the renders the old MAGIC BULLET EDITORS were faster even if a lot of them are on the new suite. IS THIS TRUE? I saw this news special they were editing and i saw a few Bullet applyed on the timeline that brought the render times in 3 hours and a half, same videos same timeline with the old editors 22 minutes of render! Are my ex colleagues showing any issues or is it normal with the Nvidia FX video card?

Mike Kujbida February 18th, 2010 12:38 PM

Magic Bullet is well known to be a real render resource hog.
There are a few specific video cards that will work with it and take advantage of the video card's processor to reduce render times and here's what the company has to say on their site at Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Looks 1.2 - Plugin Compatibility

Magic Bullet Looks supports a wide range of cards from both ATI or NVIDIA. For ATI cards, we require a 9600 XT or greater, or an X series card starting with the X700 series. Cards with greater model numbers and at least 128 MB of RAM can run the Looks engine.

For NVIDIA cards, we support the 6600 model and higher or QuadroFX 1300 and up. Cards with higher model numbers and a minimum of 128 MB of RAM can run Looks. For users working with HD images, we require that the video card have at least 256 MB of RAM. In all cases, we suggest using the latest video drivers for your graphics card.

Please Note Since all media is processed at 32 bit, you will absolutely need a 256 MB graphics card or larger. For newer cards from ATI and NVIDIA, we recommend a minimum of 320 MB of RAM. For 2K projects, we recommend 512 MB or a larger amount of RAM on the graphics card.

Marcus Martell February 18th, 2010 12:43 PM

Hey Mike, thank you for the attention. Yep they r facing this issue on HD video. They have on every machines FX3500 Nvidia Quadro. But how could you explain this thing that the editors works a lot better, are my ex colleagues kidding me or the r saying the truth?

thx

Marcus Martell February 23rd, 2010 01:09 PM

Tested again yesterday and.....really slow render with the new suite!HOW?

Marcus Martell March 19th, 2010 01:35 PM

I'm scared that the GPU is not set. How can i set it?

thx

Mike Kujbida March 20th, 2010 08:50 AM

Marcus, I got your email and figured that this would be a better place to respond.
I'm not a heavy MB user so I'm at a loss to even attempt to understand why things aren't working the way they're supposed to.
My only suggestion is to send Red Giant an email explaining the situation and see if they can be of any help in sorting out the problems.

Mike Calla March 21st, 2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1502145)
I'm scared that the GPU is not set. How can i set it?

thx

Set the GPU?

maybe nothing to set? MBL will ONLY use the GPU, never the cpu! ...and yep, render times are SLOW, even on the FASTEST GPUs. ie Quadro Using an optical effects like diffusion or tilt focus will absolutely be a long render!

I guess we deal with it. there's a lot you can accomplish with an NLE to emulate MBL colour effects, but MBL is so elegant to use and the some tools are quite unique in GUI and effect, so much so that i use it on every project.

Since i've had MBL, I've been doing short form stuff, very short 15sec - 30sec and render times are still a PITA, bearable, but quite long for how long my timelines are!

Marcus Martell March 22nd, 2010 02:26 AM

Dear Mikes,thx for the attention!
Mike Kubjda do u think Mike calla rendering times are the same of your timeline?
thx

Graham Bernard March 26th, 2010 02:36 AM

I'm still on MBL 1.0.3 - And having just read the experience of the Update to 1.2 I'm a bit leery of attempting it. There's also an experience on the SONY main site.

Does anybody know just what 1.2 is delivering over 1.0.3? RedGiant website is not very forthcoming on the update history. Well, I haven't spied it yet?

Maybe a RedGiant-er will poke their head up here?

Grazie

Jeff Harper March 26th, 2010 07:13 AM

Looks has some very nice looks. I quit using it as the render times are unacceptable to me most of the time. I now use alternative tools and haven't looked back.

As has been said, it is a resource hog. I decided to accept it and move on.