Upscaling 4:3 to 16:9 with Vegas Pro 9? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Upscaling 4:3 to 16:9 with Vegas Pro 9?

i have just ordered Vegas Pro 9 and will beging editing soon. captured 90 hours of dv from a canon G1, and Canon xha1 hdv. I would like to select some good wildlife footage from the 4:3 dv into 16:9 and retain some of the initial IQ quality. Pipe dream trying to fit square pixels into rectangular by upscaling. I have read someone suggested Teranex does a good job...a hard drive maching..but pricy. any decent results with vegas or plug ins to vegas? thanks in advance to someone who is beginning to edit 7 years of footage. thanks in advance...bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Might be best to keep the 4:3 footage as it is in the 16:9 frame, then create a track underneath with the same footage but 16:9 and blurred. This creates a nice looking way of displaying 4:3 footage without losing image quality or being too distracting.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Trustee

4:3 >16:9, crop it, there's a 16:9 crop in the pan and crop preset, i've done it loads of times.

Paul.
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Depends on Footage

I do this quite a lot using Vegas 8 and I would't call it uprezzing but changing the frame size from 4:3 to 16:9. I crop 4:3 footage using the crop preset and I render the footage using the default uncompressed *.avi format. I select the video tab and change pixel aspect ratio (PAR) to 1.2121 . I do not compress my video footage in Vegas I do that with another program depending on my output. DVD (TMPEnc) or Web (Serenson Squeeze).
Troy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

jonathan.. i am somewhat unclear about the two tracks? is one 4:3 and then you overlay a blurred 6:9. Again i am new to editing and have looked at a few vegas editorial.

Paul..do you see any drop in quality or distortion on an hd screen

Troy...i copied all the G1 dv tapes into windows movie maker dv-avi files (hope i didnt make a mistake there) from the canon xha1. the hdv i tapes were copied high mode into cineform neoscene avi files. should i have also attempted to copy the dv tapes directly from the canon xha1 (which only seems to copy into hdvinter. codec?) into a hdv format? i am not sure in know ..can you clarify for me ? thanks again. bill

Last edited by William Boehm; February 24th, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: goofed up
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
New Boot

I've recently been experimenting with upscaling using "warp resize" in VirtualDub with promising results at 1280 x 720 in Vegas Pro 9.0c.

For more info check out Mini DV 4.3 to HD 16.9 |upscalling with Virturaldub
Chris Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Very interesting!! Will this give a better quality result than simply opening a Vegas project in 16:9 and using the 16:9 preset in Pan and Crop and then rendering????

Does Virtual Dub also de-interlace the footage first?? If you just use the Pan/Crop in Vegas do do need to set the de-interlacing in Project Properties otherwise when you crop and zoom the footage the interlacing lines are also grossly zoomed as well and a TV cannot handle them!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

i still havent heard from paul, jonathan and troy..
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #9
New Boot

SD footage only

Ooops forgot to mention that I was using all SD footage for DVD output. William, you have a SD in a 4:3 format and HD in 16:9 format. Are you outputing to dvd or blueray? If DVD then downscaling your HDV footage for DVD and then you can crop your 4:3 footage using the 16:9 preset in the crop tool.
Troy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

i will be outputting it to dvd blue ray most likely
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Will this give a better quality result than simply opening a Vegas project in 16:9 and using the 16:9 preset in Pan and Crop and then rendering????
Yep.

Quote:
Does Virtual Dub also de-interlace the footage first??
Yep again.
Chris Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Williams View Post
Ooops forgot to mention that I was using all SD footage for DVD output. William, you have a SD in a 4:3 format and HD in 16:9 format. Are you outputing to dvd or blueray? If DVD then downscaling your HDV footage for DVD and then you can crop your 4:3 footage using the 16:9 preset in the crop tool.
Nice idea, but cropping 4:3 footage to widescreen will degrade the vertical resolution of that content: Instead of a 480-line image, you now have only 360 lines to work with. And uprezzing that to HD will only make matters worse since the 360-line result would then have been uprezzed. Therefore, the degradation in image quality when uprezzing SD to HD is unavoidable. The best bet if the end result is to be on Blu-Ray Disc or AVCHD DVD, as I have found, is to simply pillarbox 4:3 content and render the entire movie as 16:9. If the result is to be standard-definition DVD-Video, I would get some software which can encode a pan-and-scan flag to the 16:9 content (this will enable the "pan-and-scan" mode on DVD players which properly implement this feature; the default video setup for 16:9 content displayed on a 4:3 display is letterboxed). Simply cropping 16:9 content to 4:3 and rendering the entire movie in 4:3 will not result in a proper mixed-mode DVD - the entire movie would then be permanently in 4:3 (which widescreen HDTV displays by default stretch to fill the entire screen).

Also, you need to reverse the field dominance of SD DV content (standard-definition DV-AVI is always interlaced LFF while all interlaced HD content is UFF). Simply mixing the two without reversing the field dominance of one of them will result in a mess when both types of content are mixed together in the same video title. And again, most NLEs without the proper field dominance reversal plugins do a poor job of integrating the two types of video clips into the same movie.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...