DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVD Architect Menu Select (dis)appear (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/473578-dvd-architect-menu-select-dis-appear.html)

Sam Houchins II February 25th, 2010 08:08 AM

DVD Architect Menu Select (dis)appear

How does one create a disappeariong/appearing selection indicator?
1) I've seen where an arrow shows up next to the slected menu item, and will move from item to item as it's selected.

2) Also, I'd like to have a "secret" menu item available that shows up only if it's navigated to, then it's revealed.

Thanks!

Sam Houchins II February 25th, 2010 10:03 AM

i think I've got it.
Thanks!

Mike Kujbida February 25th, 2010 10:23 AM

Sam, for anyone that's looking to do something similar and finds this thread, would you care to share your solution?
Thanks.

Sam Houchins II February 25th, 2010 10:24 AM

yes sir...
as soon as i'm done using it for this project :-)

Sam Houchins II February 25th, 2010 12:05 PM

Revealed text

1 Attachment(s)
ok... here's my fix that I settled for...
observing the left portion of the before and after overlaid screen shots attached, I was already using a box technique to highlight a button portion of the screen that I had created in Vegas.
I wanted to add a promo clip to 3 aditional discs to be used by school faculty, so i wanted to subtly add a link to the promo on the same menu, and furthermore added the promo as an "introductory media" for the disc.
First, in photoshop elements, i created a text, "Promo," and saved it as a png.
I added an empty button to this DVD menu, then using the button properties box, assigned the button's media to be the photoshopped Promo text creation (now being treated as an image), then directed the button to link to the actual promo media. I resized and positioned it.
Still in the button properties dialog box, under the highlight tab, i chose style="custom"; and assigned the same photoshop-created "Promo" file (image) as the mask.
Under the color sets tab, i chose white as the "transparency color"; and the outline setting was left as 0% Alpha (transparent).
Then i went back to the button properties' media tab and deleted the media for the button.
The result was that when the button is not selected, there is no media shown for the button.
When the button is selected, the mask is shown (meaning in this set up, the text [because it is a mask] shows transparent), and the image's normally transparent border/surrounding it is shown as white because of the white chosen as the transparent color under the color sets tab. This combination worked with the background it was set upon.

If I'd wanted the text to be a solid color, I'd use the "fill color" option, set to 100% alpha (opacity) rather than the "transparent color" function under the color sets tab. I couldn't use this here because i needed my "fill color" to stay semi transparent to keep using it as a selection indicator over my vegas created "Play" image, allowing that image to still show through.
Of course, the Promo button disappears when selection is moved back to the play button.

Mike Kujbida February 25th, 2010 01:56 PM

Sam, thanks VERY much for doing this brief tutorial.
I now have something to link to when a user has a question about this technique.

Sam Houchins II February 25th, 2010 02:01 PM

moving selection arrow

1 Attachment(s)
so, regarding the arrow option, appearing/disappearing as it moves from menu selection to selection...
First, i'd like to note that unfortuantely i've only figured out how to do a solid color element (like an arrow) by utilizing the color sets in the button properties box. I'd love to know how to reveal/utilize a totally custom element with color/shading nuances once someone chips in with how to do it. I'm still pretty lost with masks and only stumble on their uses by trial and error :-) ...
Assign any element as the media for a button (star, arrow, asterick, battle ax, etc).
Resize and place in its final location.
Under the Highlight's tab in the button properties box, choose style = "custom"; and assign the same element's file as the mask.
Under the Color Sets tab, choose a color for #1-(fill color), and set its alpha to 100% (opacity).
Now go back to the "Button Properties" Media tab, and delete the Thumbnail or frame media first assigned at the beginning.
Now the button will show as a solid colored image when selected and disappear when not selected.
Note also, that this will render the Highlight tab's, "rectangle highlight" style as unusable on the same page for any other buttons, since it will display as a solid block when not in conjunction with a mask. Other options are still available though if there's a mix of button styles on the same page (i.e., mask overlay, underline). Just have to plan for it. I used mask overlay on the larger, always visible "Previous Menu" icon in the lower center.

Sam Houchins II February 25th, 2010 02:03 PM

You're welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1491021)
Sam, thanks VERY much for doing this brief tutorial.
I now have something to link to when a user has a question about this technique.

Glad to have contibuted to a great resource like DvInfo. Thanks for all the help others have provided to me :-).