DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   No sound on rendered file & weird video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/473944-no-sound-rendered-file-weird-video.html)

Philip Younger March 2nd, 2010 09:43 AM

No sound on rendered file & weird video

OK so just rendered out 35min of HDV video the settings used were: Save as type Main Concept Mpeg2, Template DVD Architect PAL widescreen video stream
Description: 25fps 720x 576 lowerfield first YUV 6mbps Pixel aspect Ration 1:147

It was shot on a Canon XH-G1 HDV 1440x1080i - can't recall if the above settings were given to me as the ideal from someone in this forum or SCS forum - so I assume they would be OK

The problem is now I rendered it, I just played back the rendered file to check things out before putting it through DVDA and first of all there's no sound - as all, nothing! secondly any kind of sideways movement either by the subject or the camera (i.e. slow pan) gives a video image that is like its been shot thru venitian blinds and slightly off-set - I assume this is something to do with the interlacing

Can a). someone explain me woe and / or b) give me the best settings for me using the camera I have to burn the best quality DVD via DVD Architect

Thanks in advance

Perrone Ford March 2nd, 2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Younger (Post 1493498)
OK so just rendered out 35min of HDV video the settings used were: Save as type Main Concept Mpeg2, Template DVD Architect PAL widescreen video stream
Description: 25fps 720x 576 lowerfield first YUV 6mbps Pixel aspect Ration 1:147

It was shot on a Canon XH-G1 HDV 1440x1080i - can't recall if the above settings were given to me as the ideal from someone in this forum or SCS forum - so I assume they would be OK

The problem is now I rendered it, I just played back the rendered file to check things out before putting it through DVDA and first of all there's no sound - as all, nothing! secondly any kind of sideways movement either by the subject or the camera (i.e. slow pan) gives a video image that is like its been shot thru venitian blinds and slightly off-set - I assume this is something to do with the interlacing

Can a). someone explain me woe and / or b) give me the best settings for me using the camera I have to burn the best quality DVD via DVD Architect

Thanks in advance

There is not supposed to be any sound. You encode the sound separately using the AC3 encoder.

As for the interlacing, that won't show if it's played on a TV so no problem. If it's for a computer, then you needed to deinterlace the footage in Vegas or before you brought it into Vegas.

Philip Younger March 2nd, 2010 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Silly me, of course I forgot about doing the audio separately

The image though not sure if it is what you have suggested (or as I described) as I did view it on TV. The picture file shows what I mean

Perrone Ford March 2nd, 2010 01:38 PM

Whoooo! Are you doing magnetic field experiements? Did that guy disappear into thin air? :)

Looks like you've got some bad deinterlacing going on right there..

Philip Younger March 2nd, 2010 04:29 PM

Yeah it was my new Star Trek plug-in....the one I just invented but didn't know I had until rendering finished!

OK so you've diagnosed the problem (possibly) but a) what caused it and b) how do I stop it / fit it?

Perrone Ford March 2nd, 2010 04:40 PM

Well, de-interlacing it properly would be a good start. But I don't know where in your workflow the wheels fell off the wagon. So rather hard for me to say how it got there.

Chris Harding March 2nd, 2010 04:56 PM

Hi Philip

All you have done is brought in 1080i footage into Vegas and then downscaled it to 720x576. When Vegas does the downscale it also totally messes up the interlacing lines so that's why your video has all the weird and wonderful bumps and lumps. Bet it looks weird on the TV as well!!! Your HD footage is interlaced Upper Field first and you are now rendering to SD which is Lower Field first and also resizing it!!

As Perrone says the footage needs to have the interlacing removed BEFORE you edit!! In Vegas all you need to do in project properties is change the "de-interlacing" box from none to interpolate and also set render to "best" .... edit and render and you will find all is OK!!

Chris

Philip Younger March 2nd, 2010 06:17 PM

I see. I didn't realise it was down-scaling. My previous NLE Pinnacle Studio must have done all this automatically as I just used to set it to 1080i and render to mpeg and it worked.

SO, although I shoot in HD I am actually outputting SD - right? that's the best I can get on a DVD?

That said, unless I plan to produce Blu ray of the same footage, I may as well shoot in SD yes?