Using video as Subtitle in DVDA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Using video as Subtitle in DVDA

Is there a way in DVDA to use a movie file as a subtitle? I'd like to do a little "bouncing ball" subtitle effect?

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Maybe in Vegas but definitely not in DVDA as it's an authoring app, not a video editor and that's what you need.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Trustee

I should have been clearer. As I understand it, subtitles are just additional video assets that can be displayed over a movie (they can be turned on or off). I would create a video of the "bouncing ball" subtitle in Vegas using only the lower portion of the the visible image, much like a lower thirds title. That way I could sink it it up to the speech.

That part is pretty easy. The problem I have is not being able to get it to come into Vegas as a subtitle. I could always have two versions of the movie, one with subtitles burned in the movie, and one without, but then it won't be able to be controlled by the Subtitle button.

Anyone have any ideas?

Garrett
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
As I understand it, subtitles are just additional video assets that can be displayed over a movie (they can be turned on or off).
Subtitles are exactly what they sound like, titles (i.e. text only).
Here's what the DVDA online help file says:

Subtitles display on-screen text during videos, picture compilations, and music/video compilations.
Subtitles are intended to be used as various text translations of audio dialogue.

What you want to do sounds like karaoke to me and I have no experience doing this.
Hopefully another forum member has and can offer some advice on how to do this.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

If you wanted to have two versions of the video: one with and one without the "bouncing ball", you could use it as an "alternate angle". But you would have to have the full video on there twice.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Ed, I was thinking that would be the only way to do it so it wouldn't actually be a subtitle.

Garrett
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Correct. It wouldn't actually be a sub-title but it would give you the net result you're looking for.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Actually, what you want to do is possible, but it is a bit of a pain.

Basically, DVD subtitles are a bitmap that is overlaid on the video - it does not have to be text. It can be anything you want, anywhere on the screen. However, the color resolution is limited - I believe only 4 bits, which are used as an index into a small number of colors.

If you search the DVD Architect help for graphic subtitles, you'll get some of the info you need, esp. as regards the size and format of your visual subtitles.

(Exactly the same format is used to generate the masks for DVD menus)

In a nutshell, you want to:

1) make your movie
2) export it as an image sequence (formatted as per the instructions in the DVDA help)
3) import every frame individually as a graphic subtitle into DVDA

I haven't seen any way to do this automatically in DVDA. However, Adobe Encore has the ability to import Image Scripts as subtitles, that might be quicker.

The technique works well - I've seen it used very effectively in some video art DVDs, where the subtitle layer is used to add different graphical layers to the video, selectable by the user.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...