Newbie question regarding reflections at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Tourist

Newbie question regarding reflections

Hi all,

Newbie question here. We're doing our first video and had a limited time to shoot in an office. We had a picture hanging on a wall with a very reflective glass on it. Unfortunately, regardless of how careful we thought we were, every single time that picture was in frame, the reflection of a crew member, or part of the boom pole, would be reflected in the glass. We've dubbed it "The Accursed Picture" because, well, it seemed bent on wrecking every single take in which it appeared.

Reshooting is not an option, since we cannot get the same space again, and reshooting the entire two days' worth of footage in a similar location is far beyond the production budget in both terms of time and money. The scenes cannot be cut entirely, because they contain critical information to the story.

So I basically have two options available: show the scenes with the reflections, which would make for an awful show. Or, try and somehow blur the reflections in editing. Is this even possible in Vegas? Or do I resign myself to showcasing something horribly amateurish?

Thanks,

Gregory Mate
Gregory Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If there isn't too much movement in the shot perhaps you could use a bit of blur in a mask to knock the reflection down to a point that it's livable. Yes it will take a bit of time and patience but it can be done.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As Don mentions, movement is the important thing here. If the camera is static and no-one walks in front of the picture, then some blur or even a replacemement picture-in-picture would work (i.e. place a new image on a higher track with a frame cropped and angled to match the original picture).

If the camera is moving or objects/people pass in front of the offending picture then you're probably into masking and keyframing on a duplicate track placed above the original.

On the other hand, if the majority of the offending footage does NOT have people moving in front of the picture, then you could potentially cut to something else during just the crossover moments.

Difficult to advise with any authority without seeing the footage. Can you post some frame grabs?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Depending on where it is in the frame, maybe a little zoom, pan, and crop?
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...