Best font at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Best font

When doing a text overlay - white letters over the video picture - what is the best, clearest font to use? I've been using Arial, at 16 or 18 point for denoting a place or subtitles, but is there a better choice to use?
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Pretty mush any of the non serif non script fonts generally work the best although for certain things I have had luck with certain script fonts.
99% of the time I use either Arial or Verdana with a drop shadow and it works fine.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Philip

For weddings my brides seem to love Monotype Corsica but if you do an overlay with that and then one with Verdana the sharpness of Verdana and the fuzziness of the previous one are hugely evident!!!

It would actually be interesting to know what other font types work well as overlays????

I find unfortunately that anything with "curves" tends to lose a lot of sharpness, even with a shadow!!!

Anyone else find a font that works well and has crisp edges????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys.
'
@Don: I'd fogotten about the shadowing, that might add to what I want to achieve (difficult background in places)

@Chris: I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to think this question worth further investigation. When I've finished my current project (tearing my hair out with it!) I may do a series of tests using different fonts on differing backgrounds - so if you have any suggestions for test backgrounds.....
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

One trick to getting a slightly cleaner font is to set the frame size (in the Generated Media window) to double your project size.
For example, set it to 1440 x 960 for SD NTSC.
This has no adverse effect that I've ever found and will not affect anything in your project.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...