DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Anyone using Vegas 9 with Canopus HQ AVI's (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/474481-anyone-using-vegas-9-canopus-hq-avis.html)

Rog Mogale March 9th, 2010 11:51 PM

Anyone using Vegas 9 with Canopus HQ AVI's

I'm using Vegas 9c and editing with Canopus HQ AVI's and its not going too well.

Every 5 mins some of the clips go black on the time line and just display as black in the viewer. If you save the project and exit Vegas and relaunch Vegas all is fine for another 5 mins then clips start turning black again.

I have the most recent Canopus HQ codec on my machine and all the Canopus HQ clips were created from Vegas 9c.

Anyone else had problems like this and how to solve it. Would changing to the Cineform codec make Vegas more stable.

Rog Mogale March 10th, 2010 04:26 AM

Ummm, ok

Just been looking at the sony forum and doing lots of searches and the red/black frames don't seem to be linked to a particular codec. They just seem to happen when they like where they like and only a program reboot is the way around it.

Some say MXF is more stable, but I've converted to MXF before and the quality is not up there with Canopus HQ or Cineform. I'm viewing at best and full, so will try with preview and auto to see if its better. If not it might be the bin and another NLE.

Perrone Ford March 10th, 2010 06:54 AM

As you've noted... your experience is not unique. Sadly. Since the files are in the Canopus codec, why not try Edius?

Edward Troxel March 10th, 2010 11:10 AM

Why not just use Cineform?

Andy Tejral March 10th, 2010 02:00 PM

I can't help other than to say that I'm using CanHQ with Vegas with no problems.

Rog Mogale March 13th, 2010 07:02 PM

Hi Andy,

Where is your codec for CanHQ coming from. Do you have Edius 5 installed or Procoder 3.

Andy Tejral March 13th, 2010 07:15 PM

Edius 5--started as Pan AVCHD transcoded to CanHQ regular settings.

Rog Mogale March 15th, 2010 10:05 PM

I'm running a very similar setup with Panny AVCHD transcoded to CanHQ.

I tired 2 things last night at it was much better.

The first thing I tried was saving my Vegas project files to drive C. I run 2 drives with C as the system drive and D for project files. I normally save the Vegas veg files along side the AVI's for the project I'm working on. But it hit me last night that if Vegas has an auto save then it might mess things up as its trying to read from drive D and also write to drive D at the same time. So I saved the proget veg file to drive C instaed of drive D

The other thing I did was lower the preview resolution from best full to preview auto.

I was getting back or red clips every 3 to 5 mins before the changes I made last night, but I did around 3 hours or editing last night and only had the back frame problem twice. So something I did is helping a lot.