Batch Rendering - naming regions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Batch Rendering - naming regions?

Hi,
likely I'm doing this the wrong way but...

When I batch render a series of clips off the timeline, I name each clip region to coincide with the file name I want to end up with, then choose tools->scripting->Batch render. Then it asks me for a location and a base file name - and then a file template for rendering.

On rendering, I get a bunch of clips with the base file name, a descripton from the render template - and then a [1], [2], [3]...etc. No indication of the region that I named. So I was wondering if the IS any point to naming the regions since that name doesn't seem to figure much in the output file.

Thanks,

David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Major Player

ya Vegas won't use your region names. It'll will name it like this for example: "Untitled_Video for Windows_NTSC DV Widescreen[0].avi"

Where "Untitled" is the file name you choose.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Sure it will. Just use my modified version!

www.jetdv.com :: Log in

Or direct to the script (this is the Vegas 9 version):

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/BatchRender5.cs
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Know also that Edward's excellent paid script "Excalibur" includes extensive marker creation and maintenance tools, with which one may, with about 3 clicks, create regions from all events on the timeline, named for the events.

This is very powerful in conjunction with a batch render script that can use those region names, such as the one Edward suggested above. There's also the DVD Asset Collector tab in Excalibur, which can function as a batch renderer.

Couple weeks ago I batched about 100 clips using this method, the destination was Vimeo, so the writers on an instructional project could see everything we shot.
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Major Player

well... i stand correctred:)
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow,
Ed do you realize how much faffing around you just saved me? Thankyou so much. I guess I should thank you properly - and buy Excalibur... :)

I can press 'overnight render' now and get some sleep.

Thanks again,

David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Errrrrr... Damn. Thought that was too good to last. Now Vegas is now crashing on the codec conversion. 'Error when converting codec' or something...

Trying to batch EX mp4's to DNxHD 36 for use in Premiere. Just ain't happening for me.

(Cue Dave Newman: 'buy Cineform dummy...'. yeah yeah...)

Thanks for the help anyway.

D.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...