DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/47511-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q1q2.html)

Ian Slessor January 12th, 2006 01:12 PM

Thanks Gareth,

Any Vegas users like to chime in on this one? :-D

sincerely,

ian

Edward Troxel January 12th, 2006 01:50 PM

Yes you can. It's definitely easier if the drive has the same letter on both machines but even that isn't a requirement. Just keep everything for that project on the external drive and all should be fine (but you might want to backup the important files to the local drive(s) too.)

John L Scott January 12th, 2006 02:15 PM

Dvd-ram

Just wondering if anyone uses these RAM burners to save projects for later editing. The only thing I found is their 4x speed is a big down fall. I really haven't used mine since harddrives got so cheep. Thanks!!!

John L Scott January 12th, 2006 02:22 PM

After Effects vs Vegas

May not be a loss!! I was wanting to post a ? on this subject of montageing anyway. Does Vegas give you the ability to do slideshows like Adobe After Effects??? Hopefully it's a little easier. Thanks

John L Scott January 12th, 2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Plotin
Kim,
In Vegas rendering, the CPU does the work. It doesn't use the video card (unfortunately) to speed up the process.
Hope this helps.
Ken

Ken, are you saying Vegas needs some help in rendering or are you like me using a fairly high-low end video card in hopes of faster rendering... Just wondering :)

Mike Kujbida January 12th, 2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John L Scott
May not be a loss!! I was wanting to post a ? on this subject of montageing anyway. Does Vegas give you the ability to do slideshows like Adobe After Effects??? Hopefully it's a little easier. Thanks

Depends on what you mean by "slideshows".
Like a lot of folks here, I've done several photo montages and Vegas makes it very easy. In addition, there are numerous add-on programs that help to automate a lot of it.

Edward Troxel January 12th, 2006 03:02 PM

Take a look at vol 1 #8 and vol 3 #3 of my newsletters. They show how to add variety to slideshows in Vegas.

Chris Barcellos January 12th, 2006 07:50 PM

USB Drive Problems

In the past, I have used my USB 2.0 drives to capture DV and edit from. I recently upgraded my computer to a Dual Core AMD 3800 board. In both Vegas and Premiere Pro 1.51, I get sudden freezes when acquiring the DV footage. I don't seem to run into that same problem when I use Pinnacle Studio 10 to capture. Anyone else having the problem. The whole system will freeze, and I have to shut down the system by switching it off.

Chris Barcellos

Jim Sofranko January 12th, 2006 09:02 PM

External firewire drives

I would like to edit selects onto an external 250GB hard drive or two for a project. Then send the selects on the drive to the editor. Will my 2.5Ghz P4 with 1GB of RAM be up to this task?

Any recomendations on the best portable firewire drives people have been using sucessfully lately?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

Peter Jefferson January 12th, 2006 09:03 PM

vegas does not use teh GFX card for rendering whatsoever UNLESS your using a plugin (like the new Magic Bullet suite) which utlises the openGL grunt of the GPU to proces said material.

apart from that the questions been answered

John L Scott January 12th, 2006 09:15 PM

Thanks I will do that!!! I have been messin with the demo version of Vegas and I am liking it more and more. I ment montages. Must be the Texan commin out again--->sorry ;)

John L Scott January 12th, 2006 09:25 PM

Hi Chris, Good to see someone I kinda know here. I had read that if you shut one of the cores off in bios (I guess! I can't remember if there is a program that comes with the motherboard or not) it might help... Might be wrong. I have had nothing but trouble with my AMD64 locking up on burning to DVD in PPro.
(:I might have another dv cam here soon. I got a second chance on a GL2 :)

Don Bloom January 12th, 2006 10:14 PM

I used to use a laptop as a 2nd system. P3-650Mhz with 256 meg Ram-and a 120 meg FW HDD. It rendered slow but it worked like a champ.
Just make sure the external harddrive is firewire not USB. I've heard many many horror stories of using USB and losing the signal between the drive and the computer. (only relating what I heard)

Don

Chris Barcellos January 12th, 2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John L Scott
Hi Chris, Good to see someone I kinda know here. I had read that if you shut one of the cores off in bios (I guess! I can't remember if there is a program that comes with the motherboard or not) it might help... Might be wrong. I have had nothing but trouble with my AMD64 locking up on burning to DVD in PPro.
(:I might have another dv cam here soon. I got a second chance on a GL2 :)

Thanks John, I'll check it out. Did you see that on DVInfo.net ?

Congrats on GL2. I will curious to see how you compare the two rigs once you are shooting both. By the way saw all that heavy equipment you work with-- wow !!! Some awesome booms there :)

Chris Barcellos

Jack Smith January 12th, 2006 11:34 PM

Sean, are you thinking of something like Cool 3d?Where the text itself is on fire.