Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 102 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1516
Regular Crew

Probably not. I will check that..
Thanks
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #1517
Major Player

I don't know why they call it Vegas, but it did start as an audio only editor. I think it was first developed by Sony, not like the other multimedia tools Sony purchased when they snagged Sonic Foundry. And their sound editor was called "Acid." So, go figure.
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #1518
Jubal 28

Sony didn't get their hands on it until they acquired Sonic Foundry.
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #1519
Major Player

Blanced XLR on Vegas

When I capture a clip and drop it in the time line will there be two audio tracks?? One for each mic used on the XLR?? Just wondering how the work flow will be in Vegas, I have yet to venture the audio portion of video.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #1520
Regular Crew

Only if you recorded two tracks - either two individual mic'd sources or one stereo source.

Jeff
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #1521
Major Player

Mixing 24p with 29.97i

Hello all,

I have footage that I shot at 24p and 29.97i that I want to use in the same timeline. I was wondering what is the best way to do this?

I'm using Vegas 6.0d. The 24p footage is from the XL2 and some (a big chunk of important footage) is 60i. I accidently forgot to switch back to 24p one day when filming at work so I shot A LOT of important footage at 60i (I can't believe I didn't notice the difference earlier!)

The other half of the 29.97i footage is from a JVC 1ccd mini-DV camcorder (my capture cam). I didn't shoot anything important with this cam, but I thought I'd shoot some stuff while my XL2 is sitting on a tripod filming so If I can get the footage to work with the 24p footage would be great.

Now, should I run my 29.97 footage through avisynth and create a frameserver and make my interlaced footage progressive through avisynth? That's the only solution I can think of right now and it seems like a good choice (I've done this before, but with animation and it worked great), but I'm not sure if this will work good with video.

The two options I see with avisynth is using these codes:

ChangeFPS or ConvertFPS

I don't want to AssumeFPS because I want to truly convert the footage and not interpret the footage and have it look slightly slow motion.

So, what are some of your guys' suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-R&R Entertainment
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #1522
Jubal 28

What is your 24p footage? 24p or 24p advanced?

What do you want your end result to be? Do you want the 60i footage to look like 60i or 24p?

Mixing 24p (not advanced) on a 60i (29.97) timeline is no problem; if it's 24p advanced, you probably want to bring it into a 24p timeline and then export as 24p DV with 2:3 (not 2:3:3:2) pulldown and then use that in your 60i timeline.

That's if you want the 60i footage to look like 60i. The 24p will still look like 24p.

If you want it all to look like 24p, edit it all on a 24p timeline and then render as 24p. Vegas 6 is great about converting 60i to 24p with a minimum of fuss.

Just remember, though, that fast camera movement looks fine in 60i, but when converted to 24p, it's just like having shot in 24p, so fast camera movement may produce a strobe you don't see in 60i.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1523
Regular Crew

Suttle pro

I had a list of button presets at one time for vegas but lost them. I wanted to reassign some buttons to go with UltimateS. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Jeff
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #1524
Sponsor: JET DV

There's a preset file in the Vegas install folder.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1525
Major Player

David,

My footage is 24p not, 24pA

I'd like the 60i footage to look like 24p, but it's not exactly main priority. I just want compatabilty on the timeline really. I ran a test dumping my 60i footage on my 24p timeline and rendered and it looked pretty good. Fortunate for me, the footage I have has NO movement. It's all static, so that makes things MUCH easier.

Thanks for the help David. The more I use Vegas the more I love it. Thanks again!

-Roger
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #1526
Sponsor: VASST

Ultimate S2 comes with a prefs file for the Shuttle Pro 1 & 2. It’s in the Ultimate S2 directory (C:\Program Files\VASST\Ultimate S2). There is also a VegasKeyMap.ini file in that directory that you must load into Vegas so the mapping works properly. You do this in Options > Preferences > Keyboard > Import. As Edward pointed out Vegas has it’s own preferences in its directory. There is also a Sony Vegas 6 -- ShuttlePRO v2.mht file that will show you what the shuttle keys are mapped to.

~jr
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #1527

Which version of Vegas are you using? If you are using Vegas 6, you must use the External Video Capture option. The internal one is for HDV and the external is for DV. I assume the Optura 20 is DV (which begs the question, why are you asking this in the HDV forum?)

~jr
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #1528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
will there be two audio tracks?? One for each mic used on the XLR??
No there will be one stereo track from your camera. If you have recorded two mono mics on that stereo track you can split them out very easily in Vegas. Just duplicate the audio event on another track, then highlight one track's events and right-click and select Channels > Left Only. Then do the same on the other track's events but select Channels > Right Only. You will now have two mono representations of your original stereo track to process and mix independently on separate tracks.

~jr
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kinney
And their sound editor was called "Acid." So, go figure.
Actually the sound editor is called Sound Forge. ACID is a looped based music composition tool. It does not edit sound, it composes music. There used to be Vegas Pro which was audio only, then Vegas Audio and Vegas Video, and finally just Vegas. All of these tools came from the Sonic Foundry acquisition as David pointed out.

~jr
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #1530
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
Only if you recorded two tracks - either two individual mic'd sources or one stereo source.

Jeff

Sorry John, You're right about the stereo track. Your explanation is what I meant.

Jeff
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...