Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #151
Trustee

Cool 3D?? Let me go check it out. The price is certainly reasonable :) Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #152
Trustee

I'm using a firewire external HDD as well.It works fines BUT I had an overheating issue n the HDD died! Luckily I managed to recover most of the date. So if u r looking for an external solution,make sure u get one from a reputable brand like maxtor (seagate now) with built in cooling. U dun wan to be caught losing yr impt videos...
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #153
Regular Crew

Transparent Letter Problem

I work with BluffTitler to create 3D titling efect.I save AVI file with no compression, then put the events to Vegas timeline, right click to change alpha channel from none to premultipiled. That works, letters appears as overlay but with 50% transparency and that iritates me. How to get solid letters, I mean no transparent letters at all.Regards.
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #154
Trustee

Results

Smooth here on my AMD x2 3800; 4gb ram

I'm curious as to what a minimal configuration might be to play this file.
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #155
Old Boot

PAL Wide Screen from Canon XM2?

Will somebody please put me out of my misery - tell me how to setup Vegas for Widescreen editing using the PAL XM2 or failing that the GL2. The XM2 can does shoot a 16:9 format - not the true 16:9 chip, but 16:9.

I'm confused between the widescreen project setups, the Previewing and the general process.

Grazie
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #156
Sponsor: JET DV

I haven't seen that with BluffTitler avi files. In my case, the background was simply properly removed. What if you try Pre-Multiplied without the "Dirty"?
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #157
New Boot

Real Media video into Vegas

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a DVD from some .rm videos I have, but they do not import into the Vegas timeline.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
Isaac
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #158

Yes, use some program that can read RM files and convert them to something Vegas can read. RM is a protected format but you should be able to find something on the web to convert them.
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #159
New Boot

Thanks Ed for such a quick response :)

Anybody out there have experience with RM converters out there?

Thanks,
Isaac
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #160
Inner Circle

A comment about the USB2 or Firewire issue:

Leaving aside any debate about whether fw is marginally faster than USB2, there is a potential concern with some setups in that certain cameras (mine included, a Canon XM2) can hog the firewire bus during capture and shaft your other fw connections - eg to an external fw hard drive! There are other posts o this subject in the GL1/2 forum.

This is why all my external drives (details below) are now USB2 (or combo USB2/fw). I learned this the hard way!

With USB I've personally never experienced any loss of connection as Don described but that's not to say it doesn't happen. My point is that you need to know that there won't be any conflict between your camera's use of fw and any other device.

FYI the external drives I use are:

1. 250Gb Western Digital External FW/USB2 Combo. I had two of these but one passed away, along with much video data! (How the hell do you back up a 250gb drive, other than to another 250gb drive?? I guess this is where 'redundancy' proves how useful it is). The drive performs OK but looks dire (fluorescent pink lights in a transparent case. Yuk). Also has no power switch, you have to turn off at the wall. Hate that.

2. 250Gb Philips SPD5110CC USB2. Only just bought this as I was in need of a quick burst of transportable storage for a specific project so no comments on reliability etc. Same problem with the lack of a power switch. It says there's a safe shut down button on the box but when you come to install you discover that this only works when you use the included backup software, which I don't want to do. That bugs me.

3. Maxtor One Touch II 300Gb USB2/FW combo. This is the best of the bunch. Small(ish) case, reasonably nicely styled, the quitest drive of the three and it has a power switch!! Having experienced three different low cost drives, this is the one I will buy again in future.

All the drives are 7200rpm and require a separate power supply.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #161
Major Player

Others have mentioned the 500GB G-Raid. A bit more pricey but seems to deliver speed and has a fan to keep it cool. Any thoughts??
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #162
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

We recommend G-RAIDs highly to our customers. Just posted G-Raid info for you in another forum http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58175

Gary
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #163
Regular Crew

Cloned track field order

Hello!
I want to do this:
a footage on video track 1,
the same footage on video track 2.
Then I want to set the field order of track 1 to LOWER FIELD FIRST,
and the field order of track 2 to UPPER FIELD FIRST or NONE/PROGRESSIVE SCAN/. But it is impossible!!!!!! Vegas automaticaly sets the field order the same for track 1 and track 2, i.e. the last set of track 2 becomes the same for track 1.
So, what to do so that to get one and the same footage on the timeline with different field orders choosen by me?
I don't COPY the footage from track 1 to track 2, I open the footage twice: once on track 1, once again for track 2. But the same result. Please, help!
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #164

What you are seeing is normal. If you want one upper and one lower, they have to be two completely separate files. Just copy the file and then put each on separate tracks.
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #165
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

you can use NRS to render mpeg2 files. you cannot use Distrute rendering service on mpeg2 files .. so you could assign a mpeg 2 render job to your 2nd computer ( it would render the whole job) and then you could assign a mpeg render job to computer 1 = they both are rendering separate jobs at same time. NRS will not render AC3 files ...

you can line up ( i've done up to 25 jobs) mpeg rendering jobs before bed or before you go to work and they'll render while you sleep/work ...

you can enter both distribute and non distribute jobs in line ..
if job 1 is a non distribute render assigned to computer 1 .. then it will start rendering job 1 ..
if job 2 is a distribute render then computer 2 & others will start that job as computer 1 does job 1... nothing will be assigned from job 2 to computer 1 until it is finished with job 1 ...

you will NOT have a licensing issue between 2 machines.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...