Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 114 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #1696
Jubal 28

The license covers three installs. But do you own the license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gregory-Browne
I have Vegas 6 at work (I do video for a school district), and Vegas 5 at home. I sometimes like to work at home, but the Vegas 6 project files won't open in 5.

Is there a solution to this problem that I don't know about?

Since I'm the only user on my work machine with Vegas 6, does the license allow me to install it at home as well? It seems a little vague to me. But because there's only one person ever using the program, I thought it might be okay for the second install.

Any thoughts?

Here's was the EULA says:

"non-exclusive license to use the Software on one (1) computer at a time upon the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement. "

It doesn't say Install, it says Use. Since I will only be using the software on one computer when I'm at home and only one computer while I'm at work, it sounds like I'm safe. Or am I dreaming?
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1697
Inner Circle

Rob, I work for a local commuity college and I have the versions of Vegas, DVDA & Sound Forge that I use at work installed on my home computer. Sony (and Sonic Foundry before them) have never questioned it.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1698
Regular Crew

Hi Dale
Can you not just export the 10 second clip as an AVI, import into AE, then render it out as a new AVI with the rain effect, then finally re-import the new clip into Vegas?
I know Adobe has better integration, but I use this method for clips that need AE effects and it works fine..
Hope this helps

Graham
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #1699
Regular Crew

Try some footage (free) from www.detonationfilms.com. They have rain against a black background (as well as many other full screen effects) and then you can chromakey the effect in Vegas or AE.

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old May 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #1700
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys. David, the license is in my name and workplace.

The Adobe After Effects license specifically spells out that it's okay to use two computers, work and home, as long as both aren't being used at the same time.

So I was hoping that Sony's is basically the same. Sounds like it is.

Thanks again.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1701
Trustee

Alienware

I run an Alienware mj12-7700:
P4HT 3.1GHz
2.5GB DDR2 RAM
160GB RAID 0 stripe (7200RM ATA133)
GeForce Go 6800

This system runs Vegas 6 like a dream. Render times aren't bad especially considering that I have the raw data on the same RAID as the render location (I think the RAID part helps a lot). Unfortunately due to Windows design limitations only 1/2 of available RAM is allowed to be used by applications. The rest is reserved for the kernel aka OS. So pack in the RAM (but 32bit OSes can only address a few gig) so don't go crazy. The real benefit is in the dynamic RAM preview and the ability to preview footage in real time with a few effects applied.

In case any readers haven't read the threads I have written in regarding this topic before, this new laptop with hyperthreading (pretend dual CPU / dual core) is only 3% faster rendering the exact same video than my 4 year old dual Athlon MP system wtih only 512MB of RAM.

jason
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1702
Trustee

Yay AW systems

serriously..... these are mobile desktops. You cannot actually sit them on anything besides a hard flat surface due to all the fans on the bottom.

The part of the system right above the hard drives, which is the mouse pad, gets roasting hot when I am rendering because those two drives are spinnign and writing like crazy.

jason
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #1703
Regular Crew

Review

I just downloaded Cinescore (trial version) from The Sony site, while I am waiting on my order to come, and thought I would give the group an IMHO review.

The software has the same layout as Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge, etc.

The concepts of the software are fairly easy to learn.

I had no problem learning how to change the "mood", "intensity", and "tempo" of the music. When the music is generated, you can add hints to modify several of the parameters.

I was hoping to be able to find a way to synchronize a specific frame to a musical event, i.e. a down beat to a frame. I couldn't determine how to make this happen. Since I've only worked with Cinescore for a couple of hours, it might be possible but I just couldn't find it. It is possible to generate a video with the new soundtrack or generate the sound track only. By generating the sound track only, I am sure that I could then synchronize a specific frame to a down beat, but within Vegas, not Cinescore.

I had two problems:

1) The soundtrack did not exactly match the length of the video I was making. I could adjust the length that Cinescore automatically selected but even then it might not exactly match the length of the video.

2) I couldn't find a way to render for 24 fps. It only seemed to render in 29.97 fps. This could be due to the fact that I was using the trial version but it seemed that all of the other features worked just fine.

The trial version only had a couple of themes. I ordered the regular version through my company and am hoping that I don't have to pay extra to get additional themes.

You can download the 30 day trial version at:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?did=674
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1704
Inner Circle

Jesse:

I downloaded the demo, but where are the sample themes ? What did I miss.
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1705
Major Player

Dell Inspiron 8200, 1.7g , 512mb ram , 1 40g 4200rpm system drive , 1 40g 5400 rpm capture drive , on board firewire.
I know it's old but works fine.I use for capturing multi-cam( 4) shoots, premixed, capturing audio, editing and rendering.I have it networked to the desktop usually,but does all these idependantly just fine.The only reason I would upgrade is if it breaks or when I go HD or maybe when I gotta have faster rendering.
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #1706
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it.

Does anyone use the free Frameserver plugin?
I'm told (correctly?) that there are some scaling issues/differences between the two applications, so I was wondering, if that is true, what my New Composition settings should be in AE for optimal results.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #1707
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith
Dell Inspiron 8200, 1.7g , 512mb ram , 1 40g 4200rpm system drive , 1 40g 5400 rpm capture drive , on board firewire.
I know it's old but works fine.I use for capturing multi-cam( 4) shoots, premixed, capturing audio, editing and rendering.I have it networked to the desktop usually,but does all these idependantly just fine.The only reason I would upgrade is if it breaks or when I go HD or maybe when I gotta have faster rendering.
what is the graphic adapter of your notebook?
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1708
Trustee

Trying to import Quicktime video - only comes out as audio?!?!

This isn't the first time this has happened, I have a quicktime movie that runs with quicktime (video and audio), but when I bring it into VEGAS and try to run it, it only gives me the audio stream and not the video. What am I doing wrong? I have upgraded my quicktime to the newest version of Quicktime.
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #1709
Regular Crew

Chris,

You've probably figured this out already, but the sample themes come up when you click on "Generate Music" on the icon bar at the top.

The two themes are "Blizzard of Sparks" and "The Monaco Diamond", on the left side of the pop up window. On the right side of the pop up window are the variations (and they vary greatly) of each theme.

Hope this helps.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1710
Regular Crew

Ultimate S Question/Help

I recently downloaded the Ultimate S plugin for trial. It seems to work very well for the multi-cam work I was doing. I am currently using Vegas 5.0. I would like to check out the live switching ability that UltS offers in V 6.0. Anyways, after the trial had expired I had to figure out how to remove the timecode from some of my footage. I notice that this could be done by removing the timecode plug-in under media fx for each clip. I was able to resize and remove the timecode from all my footage, but I have another problem. There is a clip that I copied and pasted on the same track. After the first clip plays at regular speed, I reversed the second (copied) and played back at alternating speeds. The problem that I have with the second (copied) clip is that it reveals the timecode in the lower right corner. I look under the media fx and found that the timecode plug-in was not being used. I pre-rendered the footage to see if the timecode would go away (but it didn't).
Is there any other way to remove the timecode from this project? I noitce in the Ultimate S interface you could remove time code, but my trial version has expired.

THanks.

Al Rodgers
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...