Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 118 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:13 AM   #1756
Inner Circle

Try using the "Match Output Aspect" setting in the Pan/Crop window instead.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM   #1757
Sponsor: JET DV

Another option may be the "Stretch to Fill Frame" option on the "Render As" screen.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM   #1758
Major Player

Aaargh - why is this happening - borders

I don't understand this.

I have 3 video clips on separate tracks one on top of another. I've tried to add the Sony Border (Blurred) to the even on track 1. But it's not working properly. It's giving me a sort of transparent-ish border with the lower layers showing through. It doesn't matter whether I do this at the clip level or the track level. If I SOLO track 1 - or mute the others - it all works fine. I've checked the opacity of track 1 and its set to 100%. No track motion or pan/crop.

There are NO effects on the lower tracks/events or media. No compositing - nothing.

Help!

Thanx

Ian
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1759
Jubal 28

That's the way it works -- it makes the edges transparent. Either have nothing below the clip, or put a black card under it.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM   #1760
Major Player

David

Oh my god - of course it does - and that explains how you'd get different coloured blurred borders doesn't it. We have a phrase in the UK - "What a Plonker" - that's me.

Thank you so much.

Ian
(obviously a Vegas novice)
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #1761
Jubal 28

Any time a Vegas effect preset icon has a little checkerboard in it (though it's admittedly harder to see in the "Soft Edge" icon), it means it's putting in an alpha channel, a transparency.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1762
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida
Try using the "Match Output Aspect" setting in the Pan/Crop window instead.
I don't see anything that looks quite like that. Don't suppose you can walk me through it?

Sorry, Edward, I tried the "Stretch to Fill Frame" to no effect.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #1763
New Boot

Did you try the stretch to fill frame in the pan/crop window?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM   #1764
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt
I don't see anything ("Match Output Aspect" setting in the Pan/Crop window) that looks quite like that. Don't suppose you can walk me through it?
Put a clip on the timeline. Click the "Event Pan/Crop" button (small square button near the top right of the event). Now right click anywhere in this new window and select "Match Output Aspect". If you watch your clip (in the preview window), you should see it get slightly larger, eliminating the black borders. That's it.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1765
Wrangler

Thanks for walking me through that, Mike--unfortunately it didn't change anything. As I said in the original post, in the preview, the clip looks as I want it, but when I choose Render As... it seems to ignore what's going on in the preview and does its own thing.

ETA: I tried adjusting the crop borders in the Event Pan/Crop window to close over the black borders, and this seems to have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance Colvin
Did you try the stretch to fill frame in the pan/crop window?
It says Yes by default.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:43 PM   #1766
Regular Crew

Track missing after Render

Hey all,

I am currently doing a wrestling DVD for a company, and I am having the following trouble.

I have on Track 1 and 2 the full match and audio

Then on tracks 3 5 and 7 I have the instant replay set up. I have that working fine and everything seems good on the preview window, but then when I render it out, it is missing out the first instant replay.

It just plays on as if the instant replay isn't even there, but when it comes to the next replay screen, one minute later it works like a charm.

Does anyone know why it would completely miss out something on a different track even when it shows up on the preview window and plays another replay on the same track fine ?

This is probably hard to understand, so if anyone needs anything explained further I'll clarify on it

Thanks in advance

Scott
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #1767
Major Player

fading multiple tracks as one

Well - I must say I'm having a load of fun editing my first wedding video using Vegas - and the help I'm getting from this board is fantastic. But sometimes it's the simpler things that I struggle with...

I've made quite a nice picture wall using event pan/crop and track motion - I have 12 tracks stacked on top of each other. I now want to fade out the entire wall, not each individual clip. The only way I've worked out how to do this is to put a black solid as the top event starting opaque and use keyframes to decrease the opacity at the end. I probably can't see the wood for the trees - is there an easier way?

Thanx

Ian
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #1768
Major Player

That's what I do - except I assume you meant to say: the solid black starts transparent and increases to opaque?
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #1769
Major Player

Martin

I sure did mean that. See - intensive editing puddles your brain!

Thanx

Ian
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #1770
Inner Circle

Ian, there are two "Fade In-Out Cursor" scripts on the VASST site at http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?tex...n-Out%20Cursor that should do what you want. Make sure to do a CTRL-A (select all) before running the script.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...