Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 121 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #1801
Inner Circle

OTOH...

One big file is great for sequences of chapters.

If you want to return to menu after a particular clip, that clip should be its own render, e.g. for "extras".

This has to do with end-actions, as mentioned above. Sometimes you want the option of an end-action returning you to a menu, sometimes you'd just want it to proceed to the next chapter, in which case one big file saves time and steps in authoring.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1802
Sponsor: VASST

This would have absolutely no affect on Vegas since Vegas does not use the GPU for anything. It does strictly CPU bound rendering. I would love to see this change in the future but there is no hardware support in Vegas for preview or rendering other than a faster CPU. :(

Don’t forget to visit the Sony site and submit a Product Suggestion for this feature.

~jr
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #1803
Regular Crew

Dual cores

I would like to see the ATI X1600 GPU in my new laptop used as well but until then I will just have to make do with the two T2400 1.83Ghz CPUs reported in Device Manager... (Luvi' it!!!! :o)
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #1804
Regular Crew

Format for web

I am trying to upload some .avi files to a website to show as samples. Reels if you will. They are rendered out to 5-6 minutes each and are about 1.3 gig. They were rendered to NTSC widescreen in Vegas 6D. Problem is FTP is taking 20 + hours per file. Am I doing it the right way? Is this the right format. I do have a DSL connection.

Jeff
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1805
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
They are rendered out to 5-6 minutes each and are about 1.3 gig. They were rendered to NTSC widescreen in Vegas 6D. Problem is FTP is taking 20 + hours per file. Am I doing it the right way? Is this the right format.
Jeff
You might want to look into a window mediaplayer, quicktime or flash format conversion. I doubt anyone would want to wait for a 1.3 gig sample to load. Check out the forum section on DVD and web delivery. There will be some other threads that will point to information on how to do the file conversion for good web delivery.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1806
Planck Studios

Hey Jeff -

If you want to share your work at full NTSC res (720x480), then I suggest using a different format (NTSC AVI files are huge and not meant for the web). I've just started playing with the MP4 format in Vegas 6d and it looks promising - it uses the H264 codec and is optimized for the web - also your viewers will need Quicktime 7 to view the files).

Another benefit to using a Quicktime format is that you can use the last tab in the options menu at rendering to enable quick streaming - I've found that equal sized quicktime files load much faster than wmv or avi's.

Check apple's trailer site for a few examples - if they're letting you stream 720p stuff in the H264 codec, you know it'll stand up to 480p.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1807
Major Player

Crushed blacks - major problem

What's up guys,

I have this project which starts many different segments with an animated title screens. It has a lot of blacks and grays, but each time I render a preview or export the video, it crushes all the dark colors and the textured background is lost.

Here's how it's suppose to look (you're better off saving it and enlarging the file to see the background detail)

http://www.randrent.net/images/good.bmp

here's how it comes out:

http://www.randrent.net/images/bad.bmp

I'm using the DV codec. I've tried using huffYUV and uncompressed, the problem is my project is a 24p project and I need the 2-3 pulldown and I don't know why Vegas won't let me select 2-3 pulldown with other codecs!

I exported using huffYUV but the playback is jumpy, even when compressed to mpeg2.

Any suggestions?
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #1808
Inner Circle

First thing is if you're looking at it on a computer monitor don't. Set up a deck or camera and pass it thru to either a production monitor or at least a samll TV that you've adjusted with the color bars. That will get you a lot closer than the computer monitor. As for the blacks being what they are you could try the video FX tab and start with LEVELS.
Good Luck,
Don
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1809
Regular Crew

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the thanks! :)

See my comments that I added to the thread you linked to. In short, I've never seen that problem. I use 24p footage though. If you're doing 35mm adapter work and your goal is film-look, you might as well either use a 24p camera or convert your interlaced footage to 24p to get more of the cinematic/film look.

Also I've made a small bug fix to the flip plug-in, and the update is available at the website.

Change:

1.0.2 Fixed a bug that caused video events with widths less than that of the project setting to not flip properly when the Flip plug-in is applied in the Event FX chain (not Track FX).

http://www.mirkwood.com/vegas

Thanks!
Adam
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #1810
Regular Crew

This is an excellent plug-in, thanks! I just tested it on my FX1 HDV footage and it works like a charm. I've got the SGPro on order, and this will most helpful when using DV footage. (I've got Cineform Connect HD, but I think that will only flip the converted HDV footage.)
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #1811
Regular Crew

Media Bin Clips Missing

I used scenalyzer to index and capture some footage..no problem. I played with the footage on the timeline but ultimately removed everything fom the timeline. I made six media bins and placed footage into each bin, saved the project and told Vegas to keep the media with the project.

When I opened the project the next day all of the media that was placed in the bins was gone. Does anyody know what happened and how I can avoid this the future?
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1812
New Boot

Do I Need An Editing Keyboard?

I Just Bought "Vegas 6 Studio + DVD" And Now I'm Wondering If Need An Editing Keyboard? I Looked Them Up and They Run About $100 but I just want to know if it is worth it or not?

Thanx,
David Desper

CEO of Indigo Productions
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #1813
Major Player

Cannot Capture HD

I have the Sony HC1 and I cannot capture HD with it using my notebook computer. I get a message saying something like 'device not available'.

I searched other threads/posts here and the problem usually was that someone had SP1 and when they upgraded to SP2 everything worked.

My problem is that I have Windows XP Home-SP2 and I cannot get my computer to recognise my camera in HD mode no matter what setting I use.

It does recognise my camera when it is set up for SD and I can capture SD but I don't want to capture SD, I want to capture HD.

Works just fine on my editing computer but not my notebook computer.

I have Vegas 6.0D on my notebook computer.

Note: The notebook computer came with SP2 installed.

Any ideas/guesses?

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #1814
Major Player

Roger,

On my calibrated 24" LCD computer monitor the "bad" looks good.

// Lazze
Old June 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #1815
Inner Circle

no u dont need one
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...