Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 126 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #1876
Major Player

thanks, Edward. Remains second question. If i have msdv footage and i do simpel cut do vegas export it without recomressing if i choose export format msdv as well.
And third question: can i do cut with proxy files and later replace in project directory proxy footage with original and then produce export footage.
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #1877
Major Player

Boris Graffiti upgrade from LTD in Vegas 6

Hey gang,

I'm just trying to figure out what I may have misunderstood, if anything.

Picked up Vegas 6 from Videoguys and they have Boris Graffiti 4 as an upgrade for Vegas users.

A sales rep had stated that, yes, the upgrade could upgrade from the Graffiti LTD included with Vegas 6.

However, there's no serial number with the Graffiti 4 disc and when I try to enter the Graffiti LTD serial it doesn't "take."

Any ideas?

FYI. I have an email into Boris and awaiting a reply. I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this or if I'm missing something important.

sincerely,

ian
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #1878
Sponsor: JET DV

If you have a DV-AVI file, do simple cuts, and output to DV-AVI, the parts you are keeping will simply be copied to the new file. As soon as you add any FX or dissolves, that changes.
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1879
Trustee

Whoops! Can I downconvert HDV24f

I suppose I should have checked first but I was trying out the XLH1 24f instead of 60i this weekend, viewed it on the HD monitor Saturday night and liked it so much I shot more on Sunday.

Now I don't think I can downconvert it in Vegas 6.0d.

Looks like I could have shot SD24f and been OK but I can't find a template in Vegas for the downconvert.

I may have to sit on the masters till I get my NLE that can handle the HD24f.

Any help is appreciated.

Ken
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #1880
Regular Crew

HD footage not playing...heelp

Im having a small problem. Im working for someone and they gave me some HD footage. Whenever i try and play the footage on my computer, there are a bunch of horizontal lines in the footage and it looks really bad. Do i need a special codec or anything to play the footage on my computer?

and another thing, i also have a HD tape, it wont play on my XL2, will it?
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #1881

Of course you can downconvert. Just open an SD 23.976 timeline, import your m2t or better yet, Cineform file to the timeline, and edit away. Just use "BEST" when rendering to DVD format or m2t for tape print.
http://www.vasst.com
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1882
Trustee

DSE comes through again!

Thanks! you guys at VAAST are a big part of the reason I'm using Vegas.

I better go buy something from you.

Ken
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #1883
Regular Crew

MXF Files

Its says in the Vegas help to just drag them into the timelime but it doesn't work for me :(

What could i be doing wrong?

do i need a codec?

grrrr... Sorry was supposed to be in Vegas section... can someone move it? i need sleep.....
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #1884
Major Player

In what format did you receive the HD footage you're having trouble with? How did you get it onto your hard drive?

As for the HD tape you mention, I'm assuming it's HDV. No, it won't play back on a mini-DV camcorder, because HDV uses MPEG-2 compression. It's an entirely different format that just happens to use the same type of tapes to store its 1's and 0's.
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #1885
Regular Crew

'Special Effect'

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had made a video that does the 'flashbulb' effect we often see in TV programs like CSI Miami.

It is often used to link shots -the luminosity of the scene rises sharply and quickly and when its at a peak the scene jumps to another. I'm not sure if the 2nd scene then ramps the luminosity down. All this seems to happen in a split second -maybe 1/4 sec or about 3 or 4 frames...

My questions is -how do they achieve it? Can you apply a 'luminosity' envelope over the two scenes? Thanks.

Nick.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1886
Major Player

Use the "flash" transition. You can overlap your footage like a regular dissolve, then go into the transitions pool and drag the flash transition onto the dissolve. You'll then be able to make adjustments to the color, brightness, etc. of the transition.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #1887

you can also use generated media, and even shift from a dull yellow to a bright white or vice-versa. Double-click the crossfade to create a selection, right click in the empty selection area above the Xfade, and "insert generated media" to create the effect. Keyframe generated media as desired. Fade in/out as desired.
http://www.vasst.com
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #1888
Major Player

Average frame rate after capture?

Hey all,

I was capturing some video using V6 and an external HDD with my laptop and noted that the average frame rate was listed as something like, 28.9 fps, during the capture.

I thought the standard is 29.97 or something similar.

Is that going to cause a problem with sync or speed or anything like that?

Just wondering.

sincerely,

ian
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1889
Major Player

I already responded in the other thread, but the short version is that I have no real idea what's up with that, but also that I've never had any problems with the footage.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1890
Inner Circle

Depends on a few things. One thing is using an external HD are you capturing on FW or USB? Whats the speed of the drive, what else is going on in the MS background and does it playback OK?
Although I've myself have never had a problem with capture framerate it could be any number of things.

Don
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...