Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 127 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #1891
New Boot

VST Plugins

Hey all,

Vegas 5 user here - have been playing around with the Vegas 6 demo.

I use a handful of audio plugins and virtual instruments to record with in Vegas. In Vegas 5 some of these work, some don't and a few I have to run cables out unused outputs of my A/D box and back into my mixer to be able to record with them.

In the Vegas 6 demo I find I've been able to open all my virtual instruments and audio plugins except M-Audio virtual keyboard programs. Does anyone know if it's possible to use M-Audio KeyRig or the M-Tron as a VST plugins in the audio chain of Vegas 6? According to the documentation they will both work this way with most standard DAWs but it doesn't actually mention Vegas.

thanks,

Dan B
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1892
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

there are many different kinds of MFX files ..from what camera ? or what capture system ?
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #1893
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Jackson
grrrr... Sorry was supposed to be in Vegas section... can someone move it? i need sleep.....
No problem..headed for the Vegas forum.

-gb-
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #1894
Major Player

High contrast cause interlace problems?

Still editing my first wedding video!!!!

EDITED - I've now managed to upload the clip in question - it's here

I'm creating the highlight piece to Van Morrison's Moondance. You'll see 6 clips appearing in rapid succession. On the computer screen it looks great but when I play back on TV the first set of rectangles play OK but as they are replaced by the second set the screen becomes unstable with the rectangles jitterimng vertically - completely spoils the effect. The clip was created using event pan/crop to adjust the picture width, event fx to add the border and track motion to place the picture.

I've tried reducing the size of the rectangles so they're further into the screen but this doesn't help. The only way I can get it to remain steady is to change the rectangle border from white to grey or to change the background from black to a dark grey.

Is this problem caused by the black and white contrast, the speed of change or is there something else I'm missing. I've tried 'reduce flicker', 'force resample' and render at best quality. I use the DVD Architect template and then use DVDA to make the DVD. This is PAL by the way.

Thanx

Ian

Last edited by Ian Briscoe; June 14th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #1895
Regular Crew

I'm not totally sure what kind they are, i've only downloaded 2 different ones.
Its just we supposedly gonna be shooting on XDCam and as it says in the Vegas Help that it can use the .MXF files straight from the disc i thought it would be best to grab them rather than having it transfered to miniDV.

Can anyone point me to more information on .MXF files and what kind Vegas will like?
Anyone used .MXF files in Vegas? can you email or send me link to download one to try.

Thanks
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #1896
Regular Crew

Oh , guess i should mention that no i haven;t got access to the XDCam to try the files from there, i'm not sure its even happening yet.
so thats why i downloading whatever .MXF files i can find to try it out first.. so when or if it comes i'll have things sorted..... hopefully :)
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1897
Major Player

Without seeing exactly what you're talking about, I'd say that this is probably just one of those things that interlaced video can't handle very well. You may just have to try that grey border.

One more thing you might try is a small amount of gaussian blur; you might try as much as 0.003 on both settings (though go with 0.001 or 0.002 if you can). That will make for a less abrupt transition between white and black.
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1898

Phillip,
there are .mxf files from both XDCAM and from Panasonic (and Grass Valley) on the VASST site. Free downloads. Other sites have at least HVX footage to download for experimenting.
XDCAM will load straight to the Vegas timeline. Panasonic's flavor requires conversion using either CineForm or Raylight.
http://www.vasst.com
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1899
Major Player

Jarrod

Thanx for the tip - I'll try that - note I have now editied my original post and managed to upload the clip.

Ian
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1900
Major Player

Ian,

It's more likely that your black and white values are out of legal bounds. Is there a Broadcast Safe filter you can use?

Josh
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1901
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, Vegas has a Broadcast Safe filter. It may be just as easy to simply make sure the colors fall within the 16-235 range instead. (i.e. instead of 255,255,255 use 235,235,235 which will still look white but won't be "pure" white which can cause problems)
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1902
Inner Circle

You can also put a 16 16 16 RGB black background underneath... the Vegas default is 0 0 0 RGB, which is not a legal black.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #1903
Sponsor: VASST

I don’t have M-Audio KeyRig but I do have M-Tron and it does not plug in. I’m not sure it really is an audio plug-in. What would it process? (it’s just a sample player) I have use Native Instruments B4 in Vegas as a Leslie effect and it works great.

~jr
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #1904
Inner Circle

Lost Keyframe

One of my favorite tools is keyframing special effects...for example making the lens flare effect move across a picture/video clip.

Unfortunately, the keyframe feature is gone from all video effects work areas.

I can still keyframe in Pan/Scan, but in nothing else. I suspect I accidentally removed it somehow, I have a vague memory of having had no sleep for three days and messing something up a while ago, but I'm not sure what is going on!

Appreciate any help...

Jeff Harper
Cincinnati, OH
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #1905
Sponsor: JET DV

Open up the window missing the timeline at the bottom of the effect screen. Move the mouse SLOWLY to the bottom of the screen. As soon as it turns into an up/down arrow, click and drag upwards.

The timeline at the bottom of the effects windows is resizable. You've apparently resized yours to nothing.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...