Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 130 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1936
Regular Crew

If all you want to do is convert a VOB to MPG without loss of quality, MPEG2VCR will do that.
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #1937
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Rochefort
How did you render the file for DVDA?? Should have been mpeg2

It was mpeg2
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #1938
Regular Crew

update

Well, I now have the system I described earlier.

My experience is the same as Magnus's. Not full framerate preview. Good enough though.
We did our first week with the kids this past week. They did a great job and the parents were blown away.
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #1939
Regular Crew

If You only want to do simple cuts and additions, You should try out Cuttermaran (Freeware) in connection with the TMPGEncoder. You can cut frame accurate, only broken GOPs are reencoded. You need to demultiplex the VOBs first. You can load fhe final elementary streams in every authoring tool. If cutting on I - Frames is sufficent, You dont need TMPGEncoder. Works with AC3 and PCM and DTS sound.

Greatings Richard
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1940
Regular Crew

Vegas User Group Meeting - Washington DC, Baltimore, Northern VA

REMINDER:

The next Washington Baltimore Vegas User Group (WBVUG) meeting is next week on Thursday, June 29th.

For more information go to:

http://www.oicproductions.net/wbvugm.html

If you plan on attending, please let us know.

Thanks!

Mickey Grackin
mgrackin@oicproductions.net
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #1941
Major Player

Velocity

Hey guys, I've been using Vegas for a while now, and one thing I can't figure out is how to speed up the footage BEYOND what the Velocity envelope can do. Sometimes, the max Velocity isn't enough, as is my current situation. I need to speed up atleast another 100%, maybe 200%. Right now, the only NLE that I have that can do this is Premiere, but my footage is 24p and we all know what Premiere does to 24p!

Is there even a way to increase the speed change in Vegas (beyond the given velocity in the envelope)?
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #1942
Sponsor: JET DV

Use the Velocity Envelope for up to 3x.
Hold down the CTRL key and resize the event for up to 4x.
Do both for up to 12x.

For more than 12x, options include:
a) Rendering that section, putting it back on the timeline, and doing the above again.

b) Saving that section as a separate VEG file and putting the VEG file back on a new timeline and do the above again.

c) Using a script (Like "Time Bandit" found in the Veggie Toolkit and Excalibur) which will cut out pieces to go beyond 12x.
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #1943
Major Player

Awesome, thanks a lot Edward!

EDIT: I must say, I hate Vegas' velocity options. I speed up my footage well beyond 12x. This is what I did:

Original Clip, raised the velocity envelope all the way, and then held CTRL and resized event to 4x (as small as it got). Saved the it.

Got that VEG and did both again. Saved it.

I took the secondo VEG and imported it into my project, I then used CTRL to resize the event a little more, almost all the way, but not quite.

Now, it previews just fine, not much lag, and it looks nice and smooth...so what's the problem you ask?

RENDERING! It's taking me well over a minute to render 1 frame from the sped up footage. Premiere didn't have this much trouble rendering sped up footage like Vegas does, in fact, Premiere blows Vegas out of the water in this particular situation. My computer has spent the last 2 hours and 41 minutes rendering a 20 minute project. Normally, this would have finished an hour and a half ago, if not quicker.

Last edited by Roger Rosales; June 19th, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old June 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #1944
Regular Crew

Ron,

The .1 in 5.1 is the bass or LFE channel. When you are working with 5.1, USUALLY the audio tracks are mixed seperately with the intention to go to their respective channel. For example, if you have 10 discrete tracks and want to make the project a 5.1 project, then you can assign each channel to it's respective speaker config. Generally, what you intend to come through as bass, you send to LFE. what you want to come out to RF, you send to RF. You can also send 1 channel to a combination of speakers so when all 10 tracks are directed, you can get the sound to surround as you wish. Once you render to AC3, it will be encoded so it will play exactly to what proportions you set up to each speaker.

Hope that helps.

Jeff MAck
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #1945
Major Player

Don, I would love to do so, but I currently can't have that kind of set-up.

Lars, I have no idea how the bad looks good on your screen...I can't get it too look right at all.

Glenn, great tuturial, but I already have tried playing with the Levels and it did nothing. Of course in my preview monitor it looked nice and vibrant, but as soon as I rendered out, it looked even WORSE. The bird was more visible, so were the blocks, but the background texture was COMPLETELY lost.

I haven't gotten a chance to really read your tutorial, but will do so as soon as I get a chance. It looks very informative and hopefully it solves my problem.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #1946
Major Player

Think about it: for every ten seconds of sped-up footage, Vegas is having to cram 129,600 images into the space normally occupied by 300 (this is assuming you've increased velocity by a factor of 432, as your workflow would seem to indicate - 3 x 4 x 3 x 4 x 3= 432). If there is a lot of detail in those frames, and a lot of movement in the footage, it shouldn't be hard to imagine the kind of computing power it would require to accomplish this.

Granted, render times have always been the chink in Vegas' otherwise very shiny armor, in my opinion. Still, I don't remember Premiere outperforming Vegas all that much when it came to rendering (or an any other area, for that matter). I jumped the Premiere ship and boarded the Vegas vessel (pardon the nautical metaphors) before PP 1.0 came out, and I imagine things have improved a decent amount since then. But this still seems like a very CPU-intensive process in any environment, to me.

Side note: I usually just start my renders late at night and then go to bed. I was looking at routine 16-hour renders on an extremely composite-heavy project I recently completed, and I don't think I'd have remained sane if I'd waited around all day waiting for the render to finish up. The long render times are just part of the price we pay for being able to do such amazing things on home computers, IMO. If you want faster renders, build a render farm or set up a huge network.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #1947
Major Player

Single frame capture

If I'm using Cineform codec to edit HD in Vegas, if I do a frame capture (in the usual manner from the preview window) - will it be full HD resolution - 1440x1080 or would it be a lower res because of Cineform?

Thanx

Ian
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #1948
Regular Crew

Be sure to set the qualtiy settings to "Best" and You will get a 1920x1080 picture. Check if You need Deinterlacing. If You need 1440 x 1080 - I dont konow if this is possilble. Fpr tis You can use Vdub (freeware).

Greetings Richard
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #1949
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Blais
I just bought this program (Vegas 6.0) as a step up from Pinnacle 9. This is a huge step and the learning curve for this program is great. What's the best way to learn? Should I click in and out of everything, buy a tutoring DVD, scan forums, or get a book?

Thanks!
I learned vegas after I ran out of curse words using Premiere, (sorry PP users), and I can honestly say, this forum, the people here who have written books and tutorials will help a ton. As mentioned earlier, get a project and push it using different techniques. Don't be afraid to try something. I seem to learn something new every day about Vegas.
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #1950
Major Player

I thought the horizontal 'real' (ie number of pixels) is 1440 - it just looks like 1920 because of the shape of the pixel?

And just when I thought I finally understood aspect ratio....

Ian
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...