Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 136 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Also avoid bright red. Or checks and patterns. And ocra, but that is a different story.
I make it a matter of religion to avoid okrah. Yukky stuff no matter how you slice it. ;-)
http://www.vasst.com
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #2027
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan King
Thanks.. now will my project be effected if I have both the real 24p footage and the gl1 footage on the same timeline and render at once?
Not as far as I know. I've never mixed frame rates, but you should be OK. You'll want to use 2-3 pulldown though.
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2028
Major Player

What? Okra haters?

It's easy enough to see who isn't Southern around here (Florida isn't the South, by the way). :)
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #2029
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
What? Okra haters?

It's easy enough to see who isn't Southern around here (Florida isn't the South, by the way). :)
Not since the Snowbirds discovered it!
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #2030
New Boot

Running Text cross the bottom

Hello,
This is my first post here. I'm working on a little project using Vegas 6 that I want to make a text running on the bottom from right to left like you see it on TV news stations when there's a warning or closing schools due to heavy snow. We see that quite often in western NY during winter time. I know how to scroll the text from bottom to top (credit text), but not on the bottom. I did a search 'running text' on this forum here, but didn't find what I want to accomplish.

Thanks for all your help
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #2031
Major Player

Have a look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69902
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #2032
Sponsor: JET DV

I have that fully explained in Vol 4 #3 of my newsletters.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #2033
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Richard Kim's Star can do this, www.velvetmatter.com
I have never heard of them. Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #2034
Jubal 28

Instead of using pan/crop, as suggested in that thread above, for a long news scroll, do this:

Type out your news scroll in a text box from beginning to end -- all in one line.

Look at the frame size and length at the top. Change the length to what you need it to be. (You might need to experiment some here.)

Then, go into the "Placement" tab, make sure the cursor on the timeline at the bottom of the editing box is on the first keyframe, and place the start of the scroll where you want it. Remember what the Y coordinate is.

Put a keyframe at the end of the timeline. Move the whole scroll over until you get the end in the position you want it. Make sure the Y coordinate matches your original Y coordinate.

Now, the scroll should run from beginning to end over the length of the clip.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #2035
New Boot

Thanks for all of you. When I get home, I'll try what explained above and if I still get stuck, will let you know. There's such great help in this forum.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #2036

Quote:
Instead of using pan/crop, as suggested in that thread above, for a long news scroll, do this:

Yes, that's what my article describes as well. Using the Placement tab using the "X" values to control the scroll.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2037
Regular Crew

Frame Image in DVD Architect

I am just learning Vegas+DVD. Vegas has been simple and works great. On DVD Architect the manual is not so clear to me. A question.

I inserted media onto a menu. Because it fades in, the image is black. Can I easily tell it to use a specific frame on the video as an image for the menu? Or do I have to go back to Vegas and separately capture and save the frame I want to use?

Thanks.

Dale
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2038

Yes you can. Select that menu item and then look on the right hand side. You want the "Media" section. Then change the "Start Time" to be the frame you want displayed.
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2039
Regular Crew

Thanks. That worked perfectly. I appreciate the help!

Dale
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #2040
New Boot

Render Speed and Processors

I do several projects per week with similar settings. I render from AVI to mpeg 2 in order to make DVD's. I recently bought a second computer to improve my workflow, and it has, because I work on my second project while rendering the first and so on. The problem is that I thought the new computer would also render a good bit faster than the old, but they are approximately the same. It's about an hour and 30 min. of render time for every hour of video (this is just the video stream, I'm not concerned with the audio, because it's pretty fast).

Here's a comparisson of the parts of the two computers that should make a difference:

New Computer:
MSI 939/Nforce4 sli/sata2/raid/a&gbe motherboard k8n-sli
AMD athalon 64 X2 Dual-core processor 3800+
1 GB Supertalent 1024 CL 2.5 DDR PC 3200
Western Digital WD1200JS 120GB sata2 7200rpm (system drive)
Western Digital WD400KD 400GB sata2 7200rpm 16mb HD (video files)

Old Computer:
Dimension 8400 Series, Intel P4 Processor 540 (3.2ghz) w/HT and 1 mb cache
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 400mhz
250GB serial ATA HD (7200 rpm) (system drive)
Seagate 300 GB sata 5nf1f23z

Now with the dualcore and sata2 doesn't the new computer seem like it would be a lot faster? If not, I'm taking it back, it cost about twice as much as my old one from just a year ago.

Here's a brief description of what I render:

AVi files with default settings and 1.2121 pixel aspect ratio most often with only a crop effect (to crop out parts of the top and bottom...not changing the h/w proportions) and a RGB - 16 generated color clip beneath (this is because a lot of my stuff is 2.40:1 or similar). Anyway, there are mostly straight cuts, VERY RARELY is there a single disolve or speed effect or overlay, and the only effect over the whole thing is the crop. I take that and Render AS: mpg 2 - DVD architect - Widescreen - and usually change the average and max bitrates depending on length. It's usually about 2 hours long and like I said take about 1.5 hours render per hour of video - on EITHER COMPUTER. Does this sound right?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...