Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 137 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #2041
Inner Circle

Eric, there's definitely something strange going on. From all the various posts I've read, you should be seeing at least a 50% speed increase with the new computer.
Take a look at the thread titled "Mobo/CPU - best value???" on the Sony Vegas forum at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=464857 and see if it helps. Look at the render test results in Glenn Chan's post. Do a search on similar threads there and you might get a few more suggestions.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #2042
New Boot

simple technique help (pausing video for a while)

hi, probably simple question, i want to my timeline moving and my audio track moving , but for one portion i want my video track to pause for a few seconds then continue at a set point? i just found out how to do slo-mo but it wont stop completely. Thanks in advance
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2043
Regular Crew

Put captured files in project media

I am certain it used to happen for me, but now it doesn't.... How do I make Vegas 6 automatically add files I capture to the project media bin?

I am not sure what I have changed or done, or if it is just a recollection of using V5...
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #2044
Inner Circle

Make sure your VidCap capture folder is pointing to the desired bin.
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #2045
New Boot

It works. Thanks all.
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2046
Major Player

Cineform

Cineforms website indicates you need Vegas 5 or higher, I thought you needed Vegas 6 or does Cineform allow for HDV capture in Vegas 5?
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #2047
Tourist

HDV -> MCE Compatible file

I recently purchased a Sony HDR-HC3 HDV camcorder. Prior to purchasing the HC3, I owned a Sony TRV310 camcorder. I also have 3 Windows Media Center computers throughout my house that I use to view movies and videos pulled from the TRV310. Using the TRV310, I would plug it into my Sony computer via 1394 and copy the videos to .mpg files to view on my MCE devices. It worked great. A one hour video is about 2.5G in size and fairly decent quality. All three of the MCE's are connected to HDTV's and are displaying at 720p.

I initially thought my Sony computer would be able to pull HD(V) video off of the HC3 and convert them to a viewable format for watching on my MCE devices. No such luck. After a little research on here, I decided to buy Vegas Movie Studio + DVD Platinum Edition.

I have been playing with Vegas for the past few days and have pulled a 5 minute piece of video off of the HC3. After many LONG hours at trying to render the video into a format usable by MCE, I have decided to come here for advice.

I have not tweaked Vegas much yet. I am capturing the 5 minute with no changes to the default import/capture settings other than telling Vegas I am using an HC3 with 1080 60i. The resulting m2t file is about 1G in size.

I have used the "Make a Movie" option from the captured m2t file to create mpg, avi, and wmv files. I can not play the avi file bt can play both the mpg and wmv files in full widescreen glory. However, they do not appear to be full HD even though they do look good. The big question I have is:

What output format should I use (mpg or wmv) and what encoding should I choose? I have tried 108 60i, 720p, etc and I am not sure which one(s) will provide the best end product.

Has anyone else imported HDV files and exported them for use in MCE? If you have, what are your import and export settings? I can eventually figure it out, but it takes SOOOOO long, I thought I would ask others.

Thanks
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2048
Inner Circle

Insert a velocity envelope (right-click on clip in the timeline | insert/remove envelope | velocity).

Double click on the horizontal green line that now appears in the middle of the clip to create a point. Click and drag the points to set speed and position.

For something that looks like "pause" you'll want to right click on a point | set to... | 0%. Note that you can do reverse motion as well.

Put in a total of four points, each velocity transition requires two, so your first point is 100%, then 0%, then 0%, then 100% again. You can have it go from 100 to 0 instantaneously, or slow down over time.

Have fun!
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2049
Inner Circle

Two cineform products are of interest to vegas users.

There is a cineform codec integrated in Vegas 6. Vegas 6 also has a 2nd capture application for HDV. Typical workflow would be to capture hdv, then render to cineform for so-called digital intermediate editing. You can cut hdv in its native m2t file format, it's just chunky, clunky, and frustrating if you're doing much more than putting heads and tails on a clip. Faster processors do better with this.

Connect HD is a standalone capture application from Cineform with a $200 list price. It will capture to Cineform, which lots of V6 users like. With a fast enough processor and disk it's real time to capture a tape and convert to cineform in one step. This also works for V5.

Lots of details at cineform.com, and there is a cineform forum here at dvinfo as well.
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2050
Major Player

Much thanks Seth, most helpful
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2051
Regular Crew

Rendering Regions

This has been driving me a bit crazy and I've looked up and down these forums and the preferences/help sections of Vegas but can't find anything. Whenever I render a section of my project, or when I batch render multiple regions of my project, the program seems to ignore my selection boundaries which begin on the very first frame of the video, so the final rendered file has 1 frame of background before the video starts.

I have zoomed in to the closest possible view on the selection boundary and it starts on the first frame. If, in this view, I drag my selection over by one frame (now beginning on the second frame) it fixes the problem, but I really should be able to just double click on a clip, and not have to surgically go in and adjust it to end up with a proper cut.

A bit of a nitpick I know, but I need to be able to see accurate and varying thumbnails of my video projects as I am dealing with several hundred small clips. I've tried using programs like Virtual Dub and various movie splitting programs to trim the first frame out but not only is this a pain to do after the fact, it never seems to work properly (too fine a trim maybe? but even with virtualdub, which I realize is a really excellent program, it pretty much just ignores my trim parameters and cuts the video wherever it wants)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #2052
Inner Circle

Well, this isn't a direct answer, I've never experienced this problem and I do batch render from regions all the time. But I might not notice an extra frame with my content.

Is "quantize to frames" on when you drop your clip and when you drop your region markers? In theory, if quantize wasn't on, this could produce some behavior as you're experiencing.

You've not got hdv or mpeg2 on the timeline, right? DV, Cineform AVI or some uncompressed format? Compressed formats are another possible source of issues with finding a particular frame.
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #2053
Trustee

Moving a project wholesale

How can I move the everthing belonging to a project from one folder to another without leaving a litter of "offline" media?
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #2054
Regular Crew

I tried changing the quantize settings but it didn't make any difference.

I am working with compressed formats. And through messing around with a few different types since I read your reply I've found that I get various results, none ending in what I need. So yeah I guess it's a codec issue.

Are mpegs the only format that have true frames?

It seems silly that the program still can't figure out where the real video starts on it's own though. I don't remember having this issue with my older version of Premiere and I was editing avi's then too.
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #2055
Sponsor: JET DV

I have a script that has seen this too. In fact, I told it to render a SMALLER amount and it STILL got the extra frames. Not sure why. In my case I was doing a fade in/fade out and was getting a full frame before the black frame. What I did was have the script delete the area before and after the region so it WOULD be black (after copying to a new track to make sure I still had the original!)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...