Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #226
Wrangler

I attended the GPVA seminar for PPro2's release this Wednesday. While Luisa Winters did a fantastic job going over all the new features and abilities the program didn't impress me what so ever.
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #227
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your help. The Mackie Onyx is compatible with Vegas. Inorder to recorder multiple tracks I took your advice. After selecting Onyx ASIO for the audio device type under the audio device tab, I right click on the audio track an was able to select my input. After this I was ready for testing.
I had a friend bring over his Yamaha Motif keyboard and I was able to record four tracks at a time (I could have recorded more, but he did not have an expansion card that would allow for more outputs.) I ended up recording 15 tracks. Each time I recorded, I grouped those tracks together. This was a great learning experience.

The only problem I had with the recording was that when I was trying to sync the audio tracks, there was a glitch in one group. This group played fine at the beginning of the sync but became out of sync midway. Could this have anything to do with the sampling,latency or the computer's processor/RAM? The sampling (resampling) was set to good in Vegas. The latency was set on auto detect under the audio device tab in Vegas. And I had the sample rate at 44.1 kHz and the latency set at 24.0 ms./1064 samples using the onyx control panel. I have a Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1.56 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #228
Inner Circle

there was a plugin/convert type thingy that was released.. apparently u could get some really nice dvcprohd 720p performance from it. i know nothign about it... yet, but i read it on Sonys own forum
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #229
Regular Crew

phone calls

I'm shooting a scene where there is a phone conversation. Do you guys know how to create that phone voice coming from the other line? Like how editors do it in the movies and in television shows, whenever someone is talking on the phone with someone else... Please help me.
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #230
Regular Crew

Why not use a real phones,put an actor on each phone and use a mic to record the incoming conversation.
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #231
Major Player

You can create a Parametric EQ curve that passes only 250 hz to 4000 hz. I then like to compress it so it distorts a little, then mix it lower than person on camera. My first attempt was to record off the phone. This took a lot of set-up, and the director thought it sounded too much like a phone. I think the EQ method is the best way to go in post. Some digital EQ plug-ins have a telephone pre-set that sounds pretty good. I would like to hear how others approach this also.
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #232
Inner Circle

I use beatmodel OptiEQ for this...
i do quite a fair amount of training videos for call centres and this is always appreciated coz u can make it sound as authentic as u need it.
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #233
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hartney
The Adobe Production Pro package is far more powerful as a complete production solution than Sony Vegas + DVD production suite.
When it comes to packages, suites and bundles, it depends on what you already have and what you need.

How about this one:
Total Production Bundle
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...ct.asp?pid=969
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #234

As Glenn and Peter said, use an EQ. Much easier to do in post.
If you have Sound Forge, you already have a telephone preset, same answer if you have Ultimate S 1 or 2, as there are a couple phone voice setups in there, too.
Use an EQ, cut everything below 500Hz, and cut everything above 3.5KHz.
Then boost the remaining area.
Now apply a 4:1 compressor. You'll be needing it after the boost, because if your vocal is recorded properly, the EQ should be giving off a slight distortion. The comp will make the distortion smooth.
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #235
Sponsor: JET DV

The Parametric EQ effect in Vegas also has a Phone Line preset. You'll need to put that audio on a separate track so that it doesn't affect the rest of your audio.
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #236
Regular Crew

Layers

I have like 3 layers of audio and video. My audio tracks are split.

When I ran the script for the edl, I got a 12 KB file and the other guy used it to open and all he got was about 6 minutes of a half hour timeline. He is using speed razor for HD and has FCP for off line which if he could build to that, he can export to speed razor. I'm frustrated with the Sony Manual AND tech support. The manual says to go to file save as and select .edl to save the file. This is not an option. Save as for the coice for edl only saves a .txt file. Going to tools, scripting, export to edl gives me no choices - it just does the export but this won't work. Is it the layers or split audio that I have to fix?

Jeff
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #237
Regular Crew

thanks, I have vegas 6...umm whats the difference with vegas compared to lets say soundforge? If i were to try to get that effect? And how would I do the Parametric EQ effect in Vegas?
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #238
New Boot

Multiple Characters in One Shot

Hey all, question here. I'm very new to Vegas 6.0, but my next project is, hopefully, going to have a shot with multiple instances of the same character. I shot several instances of him as a test without moving the camera, but I'm having trouble combining it.

The only way I've discovered so far is to lay down all the tracks of the characters, and then using the cookie cutter effect to cut a circle around a character, replacing the rest of the shot with the next one down. However, these shapes don't leave a lot of room for error, and there's got to be a better way to do this.

Can I get help in easy, layman's terms for a noob?
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #239
Regular Crew

Done editing now to burn...how?

Hi all...
Finally able to encode my veg file to mpeg. I want to try DVD3. For starters...I just want to have a menu where viewer will need to press play. Perhaps someone can break it down for me. The DVD3 manual is somewhat huh?

Thanks again!!
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #240
Sponsor: JET DV

You're in luck. I just released a new newsletter today talking about just that topic. Take a look at Vol 4, #1.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...