Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 20th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #241
Regular Crew

Drag your video file from the explorer onto the menu. You can rename the button "Play" if you like.

Preview the disc with Ctrl/F9 to see if it's how you want it.

Gary
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #242
Sponsor: JET DV

Take a look at Vol 3 #1 of my newsletters. In that issue I show multiple ways to split screen.
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hausman
Hey all, question here. I'm very new to Vegas 6.0, but my next project is, hopefully, going to have a shot with multiple instances of the same character. I shot several instances of him as a test without moving the camera, but I'm having trouble combining it.

The only way I've discovered so far is to lay down all the tracks of the characters, and then using the cookie cutter effect to cut a circle around a character, replacing the rest of the shot with the next one down. However, these shapes don't leave a lot of room for error, and there's got to be a better way to do this.

Can I get help in easy, layman's terms for a noob?
You can find several methods of accomplishing this at:
http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=split%20screen
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:54 AM   #244
New Boot

Edward

Edward can you please direct me to the appropriate tutorial? I can't seem to find the pertinent information in the link you supplied.
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:06 AM   #245
Tourist

Making movie on Z1 (HDV), editing w/Vegas

My brother and I are shooting a feature movie with a Z1 (HDV) , and editing with Vegas. Our immediate goal is winding up with the highest resolution movie possible on DVD.

Should we shoot in 60i, 50i or what to wind up with the highest resolution DVD possible?

Anybody have the experience to answer this question?

Thanks
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:13 AM   #246

If you shoot 50i/CF25, you'll get the closest-to-film cadence and blur that the Z1 offers. If you know how to shoot with the slower shutter, I'd do that if you're after that sort of a look. Otherwise, shoot at 60i, and you'll have the highest temporal and spatial resolution available to your DVD. Shooting at 50i/CF25 reduces temporal resolution, but again...lotsa people like that look. For many projects, I prefer to do it in post if I'm going to a framerate output different than my acquisition framerate.
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:30 AM   #247
Tourist

Thanks, Spot

Thanks, Spot, for your prompte reply. We're taking the 60i option. After we finish the DVD version of the movie, we'll show it around and if it is well-received, the next step would be to transfer to 35mm film.

We'll have editing questions for this forum, when we start editing (probably in June.

Thanks again.
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:02 AM   #248
Regular Crew

Smooth on my old P4 2.66GHz 1 gig of ram ATI 9500/9700 Sony VAIO.
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:43 AM   #249
Sponsor: JET DV

In the Newsletter Archive section, load Vol 3 #1. Then look at the article "Ways to Split Screen".

To make life easier, you can download most of the newsletters at once via:
http://www.jetdv.com/tts/tts.zip
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM   #250
CTO, CineForm Inc.

60i is not the best mode if you intend a film transfer. As the 60Hz motion conversion to 24p is tricker than 50Hz to 24p (or 25Hz to 24p is better still.) Also a 60i DVD and 24p film have completely different motion characteristics, normally you would select one look for all your outputs, but I don't know if you project would benefit for the 60Hz motion (sports and reality TV looks do, drama doesn't normally.)
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:34 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
60i is not the best mode if you intend a film transfer. As the 60Hz motion conversion to 24p is tricker than 50Hz to 24p (or 25Hz to 24p is better still.) Also a 60i DVD and 24p film have completely different motion characteristics, normally you would select one look for all your outputs, but I don't do if you project would benefit for the 60Hz motion (sports and reality TV looks do, drama doesn't normally.)
Most film transfer facilities prefer 60i or 50i because they've all invested considerable research and effort into making 60i/50i transfer well. DFG (Digital Film Group), one of the leaders (and who many major production companies use) have a great white paper on how they prefer media come in. They prefer 60i over 50i, because it's a more common need, but we've done two projects that have been acquired in 50i, and they looked stunning when transferred.

All that said, film transfers for most of us will be a thing of the past very, very soon. More than 50% of the films here at Sundance this year are digital projection, and at the producers summit day before yesterday, aside from the Cinemark dedication to be all-digital over the next 24 months, so are many major chains going to be. They're enthusiastic about it for numerous reasons, but bottom line is...this is where it's all heading. Listening to the discussions, it was almost comical and certainly serious deja vu, as I clearly recall the debates of CD vs vinyl back when the Sony 1630 became so common for master output. It's almost verbatim the same discourse. "44.1 vs 48k=24p vs 60i. Analog has sweet harmonic distortion and pushed dynamics=film has greater latitude and depth of color.
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM   #252
Major Player

Ok, supposing I`m interested ALSO in getting a final product in 24p NTSC (besides the 24p filmout), and I opt for shooting 50i and use Vegas (5 in my case), what should be the workflow (with Vegas) to deinterlace the footage edit it and obtain the NTSC 24p printing it to tape?
Thank you
Ron
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM   #253
Major Player

m2t to cineform

Do you guys convert both the video and the audio on vegas time line into cineformavi thats supplied with vegas6? I was thinking of just doing video since it will render less data.
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM   #254
New Boot

Wow these are great, thank you sir.

Also it actually wasnt that hard to find the newsletters, I was just a bit not in my right mind last night ;) , so sorry about that.
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:07 PM   #255
Regular Crew

What To Upgrade?

Heya's

I'm a new HC1E owner from Perth, Australia. I have Vegas Studio+DVD platinum. Used to get between 15-25 fps for previews dependent on how many streams are going for SD DV. With HDV the max I'm getting is 5fps on just one stream. I figured my PC might only just make the mark before getting into HDV, and while I'm sure you can edit with 5 fps previews, it will be hard.

So I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade. I currently have:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (yes a 2800+ ath 64 did exist)
512mb RAM (Hynix)
128mb Geforce FX5900
1x 80gig, 1x 200gig HDDs (both non SATA)

I've read 3D video cards make no difference with vid editing, so I figure mine should be fine. Hard drives should be fine, though I guess SATA drives might help a little bit.

The cheap way out I thought would be buying another 1gig of RAM. Though I've heard conflicting reports on wether RAM actually makes much diff with native HDV editing. Would getting another gig of memory make the difference I need?

I've read HDV is mainly processor dependent (with all the compression going on), which would mean hefty upgrading if I was to do that (i guess a dual core ath 64, new mainboard...and therefore a new vid card seeing my current card is AGP no PCI-E, and new memory). Almost a whole new computer.

Does this sound like the only option to get usable performance? Am I being unreleastic about editing native HDV without using the best of everything computer wise? Is there any websites with lots of info on real minimum requirements of native HDV editing and what hardware it relies on most?

I really don't want to have to buy and use one of those Cineform plugins as I'd rather use that money towards hardware which would be useful for audio production as well and other applications (while the Cineform plugin just helps HDV editing).

Also...could doing a offline/online situation work. Capture the HDV footage as SD DV, edit it, then recapture the final product as HDV? Would this work in Vegas studio?

Thanks

Last edited by Lee Kennedy; January 21st, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...