Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #271
Regular Crew

One thing you can do is flatten your computer (do a format and reinstall windows fresh) it's a bit of a pain but if you've had your computer for a while (1-2years) the registry file is probably bloated with tons of junk and other stuff installed by progams that you don't use anymore. Doing a full reinstall can really add some lost zip to your computer and you would have the bonus of being able to try that demo again(I'm pretty sure). It's way too much work just to get 30 days of vegas, but the benefits are significant.. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Old January 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #272
Major Player

Vegas & BorisFX?

Bear with me... coming from Premiere Pro and trying to adapt.

I'm trying to use BorisFX in Vegas. Having to jump out of the timeline and use the Boris keyframer is driving me nuts.

I know I must "manually" change the duration of the vegas clip within the keyframer but I can't get the keyframer's preview to show more than the 1st frame after I've applied an effect.

How do I "keyframe" the effect when I don't know where I'm at?

Boris forums aren't much help. (Not much here either).

The Dynamic Ram setting is "0".

Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #273
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

monaco does not do super 8 nor HDV

www.bonolabs.com does super 8 to 10 bit 1920x1080 24p ( black magic codec) delivered on hard drive - you choose either 16x9 pillar , full 16x9 or inverse 16x9 squeezed .. for extra $40 they'll render to HDV .. your 50ft ( 2.5 min - 3min ) would fall below their 15 min charge ( 165) ...
The Super 8 frame size does not contain more information that can not be stored into 1440 x 960 frame size so pillar ( they set the 4x3 image inside 16x9 = black on left/right side) will do the trick

if your super 8 has scatches and you do not want to see them on tape then you can transfer using wet gate at www.posthouse.com to digibeta format ( delivered on hard drive for extra $50) again your 50ft falls into their min charge area aorund $90 ...

there is no wet gate for HD transfers ...

make sure you have either AE or combustion as bono uses premiere/decklink to capture the HD files and it may not playback in Vegas ( sometimes they do sometimes they don't = it's a premiere-decklink problem) but i have found they do play back in combustion and AE = you convert to windows uncompressed avi or HDV or use sony YUV codec for vegas ...
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #274
Wrangler

I just switched computers, still running Vegas 5. When trying to preview to an external monitor like I've always done (through my camera), it shows "preview on external monitor" in the preview window, but I don't get pass through to my camera. Then when I stop the playback, the program freezes and I have to restart. I hooked up my other camera just for the heck of it--same story.

Any ideas? Sorry if I haven't provided enough info--I'm not sure what else to add.
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #275
Regular Crew

Still issues with edl

Thanks to those of you who answered my previous posts. I cleaned up my timeline to 1 layer and edl worked great. I used a JH3 deck to capture my HDCam as dv. I did a window burn of the cameras timecode so I could have backup data if I needed it. Now it appears my problem is that the timecode on the edl does not match up with my window burn. There is no consistency between the two sets of numbers. They are close but not off the same amount from cut to cut. Out of 4 sets of numbers, the first two appear to be in and out poins in timecode and the second two appear to be in and out on my timeline. I'm really out of time and think the only way to fix this is to put markers on the timeline of the online edit system and lay each of the three tracks on where the window burn corresponds to my window burn on each of the first frames.
Any other suggestions?

Jeff
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #276
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the TC for window burn - you need to add the TC filter to the clip from the media pool ... if you add it as event or at output it will not be the TC on the clip ...

why are you using EDL and not AAF ?
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #277
Wrangler

still struggling!

Hi,
My friend wondered if the SoundBlaster Audigy2 on this Alienware was causing the problem so I swapped it out for the card I had in my old computer. (His thought was that the integrated firewire port on the Audigy2 might be blocking the signal to the firewire card I installed....or something like that.)

I've got sound, but still the same deal with no pass through and then Vegas freezing up on me. Even though my PC recognizes the camera, could a faulty firewire cable be a problem? Or is it this darn computer?
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #278
Regular Crew

Pan/Crop Missing

I'm running Vegas 5 and I can't bring the Pan/Crop box up. It doesn't matter if I try to use the event, track or the drop down pan/crop function.

When I try to activate any one of these it seems like the pan/crop box opens and immediately goes behind Vegas (I see a flash and the pan/crop header going towards the bottom of the screen and then it disappears).

Has anyone else had this problem?

Should I just reinstall Vegas?
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #279
Regular Crew

Matrox Parhelia APVe Video Card with Vegas?

Hi, there, I am upgrading my video card to support broadcast monitoring. I want to connect my HDTV directly to my PC/component out on my video card.

I am still a novice and don't have much experience. I have a sony hdv hc1 camera and the only HD monitor I have is the HDTV.

On another thread someone mentioned Matrox Parhelia APVe Video Card as a good option for dual monitoring.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58399

this sounds like a solution. On the other hand, the reviews/specs mention some features that are specific to other NLE. From the specs:

WYSIWYG PureVideo plug-in for Adobe Premiere Pro , Adobe After Effects , Photoshop , Autodesk Combustion and 3dsmax, along with NewTek Lightwave 3D , you can see your final output on an HDTV monitor without the necessity for looping your signal back through the 1394 port.

Also, I noticed that another review sheet http://dv411.com/matroxgraphics.html#nles
shows that "video output preview with Matrox graphics cards." is not supported for vegas.

Does anyone have experience using this card with Vegas 6? do you recommend it and/or recommend another? I'm making the purchasing decision today (hopefully!).

Thanks.
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #280
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds like you've moved it OFF the screen. Try changing the screen resolution higher, locate it the window, move it back to the main area, and then change the resolution back.

Alternately, hold down CTRL-SHIFT when you start Vegas. That will reset EVERYTHING back to the factory defaults.
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #281
Sponsor: JET DV

It could definitely be a faulty firewire cable. Changing the cable would be the next thing I'd try.
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #282
Regular Crew

Edward

I did what you suggested but I still can't bring up the pan/crop box.

Any other suggestions?
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #283
Regular Crew

Edl

I don't understand. First of all, the online guy asked for an edl. This is my first time in dealing with an outside source so I never had to do this before. I don't know the difference in edl vs. aaf. I also don't understand the timecode filter you mentioned. Can you tell me what you mean in detail? Sorry for the seemingly simple request but I guess we all have to start somewhere. I stayed up late last night writing down all of my cut locations and am meeting the online guy today at lunch to start the edit.

Jeff
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #284

Jeff,
You can export the EDL from Tools/Scripting/Export EDL. Is this what you're doing?
I do have a workflow for the JH3/export EDL for Xpri if you think it will help you any.
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #285
Regular Crew

Thanks

Douglas, I really appreciate your help. The edl seems to work fine but the timecode on the tape doesn't match the timecode on the edl. How I know that is that when I set up my captures with the JH3 deck, I set it to window burn the t/code from the tape onto the captured image. While I am watching my footage and making my cut, I can see the camera's t/c on the clip near the bottom of the image. When I did the export to edl, the list that printed lists the in and out points for both the the timeline AND the timecode. When I match up the t/c that printed with the edl, it doesn't match the burn that is on the image. The numbers are off randomely seconds to minutes.

All of this is secondary to the online guy not being able to open my edl. He says 3 or 4 minutes comes in and then his system crashes or freezes up. He is using a program called Speed Razor. Sounds like it might be compatability issues with that.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...