Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #301
Major Player

Wow, that's a little expensive for me. Will this work: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It does have s-video output.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #302
Inner Circle

Why would you want to replace your camcorder? I have never heard of anyone's camcorder failing from being used as a A/V bridge.
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #303
Regular Crew

Improving MPEG 1 Render Video Quality

Hi everyone,

I just finished a short film and today I rendered to MPEG-1 (for VCD) straight from the timeline. However, the video quality is terrible - the image is very noisy and there are artifacts surrounding my credits and titles. All of my previous short films have looked fine, but for some reason this new one looks terrible. Can anyone help?

(I have Magic Bullet applied twice to the bus video track. One is set on 'Filmic' for the beginning and the end of the video, and one is set on 'Neo Dark' for the middle section of the video. I thought this was the problem, having two things in the chain. However, I rendered sections of the video again without any effects, and it still looked bad.)

Also, I rendered with everything closed except Vegas 6, and my computer is fairly new. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #304
Wrangler

Tony, I have used the ADC Pyro with my Mac and it should also work fine under Windows for your purpose. There might be a few reasons to use this instead of a camera. For one, your camera isn't sitting out on your desk gathering dust for long periods of time and won't be connected to the A/C line where a power spike could hurt it. But probably the main attraction would be that this box has component video output which can drive a monitor at higher quality (if the monitor supports it). That box will is also switchable between NTSC and PAL which might come in handy.
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #305
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Why would you want to replace your camcorder? I have never heard of anyone's camcorder failing from being used as a A/V bridge.
I can't be the only one who thinks it's a pain in the butt to use my camcorder as a converter for my monitor. It's a simple job, so I'd like a cheap peice of dedicated equipment. That way I could keep my camera downstairs and ready to go.

Old January 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #306
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Tony, I have used the ADC Pyro with my Mac and it should also work fine under Windows for your purpose. There might be a few reasons to use this instead of a camera. For one, your camera isn't sitting out on your desk gathering dust for long periods of time and won't be connected to the A/C line where a power spike could hurt it. But probably the main attraction would be that this box has component video output which can drive a monitor at higher quality (if the monitor supports it). That box will is also switchable between NTSC and PAL which might come in handy.
Excellent... I'll have to try that. That should be a cheap alternative to leaving the camera hooked up to the computer.

Old January 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #307
Major Player

That is one of the limits of Boris. The advice I've been given is to take the clips and use boris by itself and then you can play the clips in Boris. I haven't tried it but it is a pain.

I expected more from Boris and was let down.
Old January 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #308
Regular Crew

Help with Menu Page DVD Architect 2

I created 3 menu pages which are chapter selections, 14 chapters in all.
The 1st two pages havev 5 chapters eachand the 3rd page has 4 chapters.

Now I want to create a home page which is what I want to be displayed on my DVD 1st. This menu page will be my home page and will basically have a picture, a play all button and a chapter selection button.

I tried to create a menu page that links to page 2, but it puts the menu page as page 4 and it links only to page 3.
I dragged it to the top of my project window, without a problem, but it still links only to page 3.
I cant use end actions to link my new menu page with because it does not allow me to link it to page 2.( page to is not an option on the properties window)

I already linked menu pages 1, 2 and 3 in the order I want.

PLEASE HELP ME CREATE A NEW MENU THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO LINK TO PAGE 2 WHICH IS WHERE CHAPTERS 1-5 ARE.

Please help, I'm desperate!!!

Thanks in advance.

Bernard
Old January 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #309
New Boot

Thank you Edward. I appreciate the info!
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #310
Sponsor: JET DV

I would have created the main page FIRST. However, just add a new menu and set it to be the first menu that is shown. Then add links to the proper menus or videos to that menu.
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #311

Coupla things to view here.
1. Vegas scales media correctly, so if you were to save at 655 x 480 from AE, Vegas will read it right.
But.
2. AE/Adobe prefers scaling vertically, so 720 x 540 is the preferred size from their apps. PITA, it would be better if they correctly scaled, but it works either way in Vegas.

HTH
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #312

The MB stuff you're applying likely has a little to do with the image quality, but two things to note.
Vegas doesn't do MPEG 1 well, I'd recommend a third party tool like Procoder or TMPEG.

Second, try crushing the blacks with the Black Restore plug. You'll usually see some improvement.

finally, unless you *have* to use MPEG 1, avoid it. It's so antiquated, it's tough to get anything looking good unless you really reduce saturation and give the encoder a mostly flat, unsaturated image.
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #313
Regular Crew

Hi Douglas,

Thanks a lot for the reply I'll try those things and get back to you on how it goes.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #314
Major Player

Naming Conventions

After using PixelPops for my menu(s) I find they work well in Encore but I know I need to change the names for them to be accepted in Architect.

From what I can gather from the Help and Manual the only accepted "items" are buttons or backgrounds, both with their various sub items. If so how is a video, that is to be used as a motion element, named? Is there any way to look at a template that is included with Architect to see how the structure is established.

Thanks

Jim
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #315
Major Player

Thanks for the help. That puts an end to the mystery for me. :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...