Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #331
Regular Crew

scrolling credits

Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes my video track was above my generated media track, but after switching them, the fundamental behavior appeared to be the same. However, after some experimentation, I was able to "lighten" the generated media track and it seems to help. Does a level 1 track take precedence (or not) to the level 3 track?

Last edited by Paul Carlberg; January 30th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #332
Inner Circle

Paul, I totally missed the line in your first post where you said "Thus, in order to see white text, my video is darkened because my background for the generated media is black". If you mean what I think you mean, you used "Plain Scrolling on Black" instead of "Scrolling on Transparent". Try the Transparent option and it should solve your problem.
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #333
Major Player

Sorry about the mad rush and all but a $100 rebate and the training DVD deal from VideoGuys was too good a deal to miss. The net price is better than what it would have been if I had bought direct from Sony.

So I went ahead and purchased Vegas+DVD. So it looks like I will become a Vegas user in a few days.

I will still have MSP8 to temporarily fall back to while I get up to speed with Vegas.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #334
Sponsor: JET DV

Make sure a watch the training DVD and look through my newsletters (in the Newsletter Archive section on my website). There's also lots of tutorials on the VASST website.
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #335
Sponsor: JET DV

You can easily change the background color. Open the Generated Media FX box, on the right side, go to the "Styles" tab, and look at the bottom of that tab. There you will find a "Background Color" box that is set to black. Click on the background color and then change the "A" setting from 255 to 0. This will make the background transparent.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:55 AM   #336
Regular Crew

I do remember someone posting the link to the actual video on Edwards site;

Here's the link

http://thetroxels.com/vegas/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1093

Hope that helps
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #337
Regular Crew

Underwater Appearance

I am attempting to create a scene where I can place potential sponsors names moving and pausing underwater. I have tried to use 3D modeling with the top underwater area having light rays shine through on the bottom and on the sponsors logo from top to bottom. I was wondering if I should try to use animated water or reel water shot. I checked every VASST Veggie I could and everthing places logo on top of water or just in the water with no top or floor. Any and all ideas is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Capt Ben

Last edited by Ben Chancey; January 31st, 2006 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Misspelled appearance in title
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM   #338

The http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...8-012275582727 file doesn't do it for you? Very easy to make generated water, but if you need something different than the asset listed above, I'd recommend using shots of real water.
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:11 PM   #339
Regular Crew

re: scrolling credits

Mike and Edward,

thanks the excellent suggestions! Making the generated media background transparent should indeed work but for some reason, my white text disappears. (now I know what Styles-> color-> A0 equals). Anyways, what works well is placing the GM on track 1 (foreground) having video on track 2+, and setting the "composting mode" selection for track 1 to "lighten". My composting mode for track/video is source alpha. Mike, your suggestion "scrolling credits on transparent" is excellent and works, however I am using "timed fade on black". I'm sure if there was a timed fade on transparent, that would do the trick. Thanks guys!
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM   #340

Steven,
if you don't need the actual drop to be seen, but just be a representation of it, it's easy to build. Gary Gowman has a great tutorial on Sonar Rings that you can find at http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ve...owmansonar.htm which can easily be modified to make a drop of water appearance.
If you want to see how you'd do that, http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...0-2b47a51fa358 has a tutorial and veg file, plus downloadable media. It's a project for Vegas 4, but it's still quite applicable.
If you have Ultimate S, building the drop will take about 5 mins, tops. Without it, about an hour, but it's quite simple. If you can't get it quite there, drop me a note, I'll quickly build it for you.
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:59 AM   #341
Regular Crew

DSE for some reason when I download that file I don't get any motion. Is there something I am missing?
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM   #342
Inner Circle

"I'm sure if there was a timed fade on transparent, that would do the trick."

In a roundabout way, there is. It's just not specifically called that.
To fade titles from or to black (and keep the underlying video intact), use the "Scrolling on Transparent" option. Place your cursor at the top left or right edge of the title segment and you should see it change to a 1/4 circle with the words "Fade offset 00:00:00:00". Drag this forward or backwards to the desired amount. That's it.
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:51 AM   #343

http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...0-2b47a51fa358
contains the entire tutorial, that should get you going. You can also download a free water clip.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM   #344
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Make sure a watch the training DVD and look through my newsletters (in the Newsletter Archive section on my website). There's also lots of tutorials on the VASST website.
Thanks much!

I will get Vegas+DVD tomorow 2-2-2006.

I am looking forward to viewing the training DVD. I've already figured out a number of things when it comes to basic editing. Some of the workflow is a lot like what MSP8 has. I found a bunch of video type tutorials on Sony's site.

Meanwhile, I've been up all night editing and need to get some sleep.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:30 PM   #345
New Boot

Hello

Had the same problem still need another program that is easyer to use

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58209
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...