Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM   #376

Danny, why not just render over a short segment to test your theory first? 5 hours is a long time to wait.
http://www.vasst.com
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM   #377
Inner Circle

I have als had a issue with the combination of Premiere Pro 1,HDV downconverted to MiniDV and Mainconcept which is apparently Premiere's mpg encoder.

Eventually I got my .mpg file after about five tries and it was only a short file.

It seems I might have been trying to encode to mpg off the timeline and not from the clip I thought I had selected.

I attibuted it to personal fatigue and the steep learning curve but maybe it was something else. I wear Premiere 6 like a comfortable jacket but Premiere Pro is still tight under the armpits and I won't say where else.

Thanks for bringing this here. I shall watch with interest.
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #378
Major Player

Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Danny, why not just render over a short segment to test your theory first? 5 hours is a long time to wait.
I originally rendered a file with MSP8 expecting to use it with my final DVD. I had decided to go ahead and get Vegas+DVD (I am so glad I did).

I have a folder named 'MPEG' that the original MSP8 file was in. I created a sub-folder and moved the MSP8 file and its associated files into so as not to be in the way when I render a file from Vegas. Also to preserve the original files so as not to get in a bind from a deadline.

Even so, somehow the files got mixed up. I don't know how it happened. I don't remember moving them around or whatever but somehow the MSP8 file got re-located in the main MPEG folder and the Vegas file got into the MSP8 sub folder with the Associated files mixed up.

Playing both files gave poor results. I decided to delete all the rendered and associated files from the MPEG folder including the sub folder and then re-rendered a file from Vegas.

This time I did it after a fresh reboot. I don't know if that really made the difference or not but it took 3 hours and 5 minutes this time instead of 5 and a half hours. It took 9 minutes to do the AC3 stereo file. I used VBR at 7,000,000 max, 6,000,000 average and 5,000,000 min.

Now it plays fine without any stuttering and loads into DVD Architect 3 without any problems.

My next step is to finish learning how to use DVD Architect 3. I looked at the included manual and said, huh?

So I watched the basics on the DVD I got from VASST and I am now ready to have at it. Thanks so much DSE and VASST!

So with that, its back to video work.

Thanks much,

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #379
Inner Circle

External midi controller (Phatboy)

Hello all,

Is anyone using a Phatboy midi controller (used to be made by Keyfax or G-Media) to control Vegas?

I've just bought a second hand Phatboy to use with Cakewalk Sonar and I'm wondering whether I could use it elsewhere, ie Vegas.

If there is anyone using a Phatboy, what parameters are you controlling and is it easy to set up?
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #380
Major Player

Audio out of sync?

The audio portion of a clip got moved slighty out of sync with the video --

What's the best way to re-sync the audio portion of my video clip? Is there a comand to 're-sync' the audio to its video clip? (moving it manually doesn't seem to get it perfectly)

Thanks

PS -- still in Vegas 5
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #381
Sponsor: JET DV

In Vegas 6, you can just right-click and choose "Sync". Since you're in Vegas 5, you could try this:

Delete the audio
Right-click the video and "open in trimmer"
Drag the audio from the trimmer below the video
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #382
Regular Crew

hd jumping

Paul,

Thanks for the information. I have not tried to view the rendered video on a non-system disk. I will try it.

The machines that I have tested on have plenty of memory, I have tested on machines with 1 and 2 gig of ram and on a two processor 64bit machine with 3 gig ram. I have the same results on all of them.

The file sizes are not that large as I am trying to view only a few seconds of footage.

I have posted some of these files to show exactly what is going on:

Rendered files:

256K wmv (700 kb)
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...Test22_256.wmv

ntsc for dvd architect (14,698 kb)
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...sc_da_best.mpg

wmv9 1440x1080 HD (33,756 kb)
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...est22_best.wmv

A different HD clip that jumps (36,920 kb):
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...ds/clip021.wmv

I have included the clip021 source here (83,718):
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...ds/clip021.m2t

The test22 clips were rendered by selecting a small portion of a large input file, they use exactly the same selected area.

The jump in the file at about 10 seconds is due to the camera being paused and restarted during filming. As the video shows the 256k and sd file work fine, the wmv does not.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #383
Regular Crew

Apologies, for the incorrect file names:

wmv9 1440x1080 HD (33,756 kb)
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...est22_best.wmv

the mpeg 2 transport file is called:
http://www.broussardvideoproductions...ds/clip021.m2t
Old February 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #384
Major Player

audio delayed while previewing on external monitor...normal?

Hey all,

I preview on an external monitor...OK, it's a Toshiba 14" TV but it does the job.

The external video and the audio (from the PC, of course) are slightly off. Is this unavoidable or is there a tweak I need to perform?

Using Vegas 5.0b and upgrading this spring.

sincerely,

ian
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #385
Sponsor: JET DV

There is a tweak you can perform to fine tune the timing. Go to Options - Preferences to the Video Device tab and adjust the "Sync Offset" as needed.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #386
Major Player

Super!

Thanks Ed.

That helps a lot.

sincerely,

ian
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #387
Inner Circle

H.264 Rendering from Vegas Movie Studio.

I am trying to figure out what setting I can a decent render with the h.264 Quicktime codec from Vegas Movie Studio +DVD. While I am able access the H.264 codec from Premiere Pro, I can't do so in Vegas Movie Studio. I am rendering both from HDV and DV.
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #388
Trustee

Vegas 6.0c adds support for H.264 under the "Sony AVC/AAC" moniker. The default template is great for the Web. I don't know whether Vegas Movie Studio has the same feature.
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #389
Regular Crew

HD jumps

Bruce,

After looking at your wmv files, I can only suggest that your check some standard settings that would affect display, preview or rendering. My File->Properties->Video->Template settings are "NTSC Widescreen" because that's what I prefer viewing. You may need to try a template of "HD 1080 60i 1440 x 1080" or similar. I'm guessing because I'm pretty new at this. Possibly a search of this forum may turn up something. Sorry I can't be much better help.
Good luck.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #390
Regular Crew

PC Spec Recommendations - advice

Hi there - a friend of mine is offering to sell me his Pentium 4 2.4GHz PC, with 512MB of ram, 16x DVD burner, Adobe Premiere 6, and the various Matrox video cards to go with (think it's one of the RT ones with the video accelerator / dual monitor capability) for £300/$525.

I'm want to move on from Pinnacle Studio 7 (hey it's old, but it's the last Pinnacle version I could get to work properly). I was looking to get a standalone machine and Movie Studio Platinum seemed a good choice (maybe to move up to Vegas 6 later), as it seems broadly similar to Studio 7. Try as I might, I just can't get to like Premiere - just seems overly complicated after Studio.

But I have to move quick - should I buy my friend's computer, then by Platinum at a later date?

OR - do I decline and ask him to build me a PC purely for running Movie Studio Platinum. If so, what specs would you recommend? I would like to keep to the £300/$525 budget. I intend to buy a 120GB firewire external hard drive to go with it seperately.

Thanks in advance!

Paul.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...