Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #466
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmet Ilhan
it doesn't make much change really but you cant also call it messing up. Windows normally changes the size of the virtual memory according to its needs and this change in the size causes some slowing down.
And then when it does change the size, chances are it will be fragmented.

I always set up a static pagefile...and do it before anything else is on the drive. Get a nice contiguous block that way. :-)
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #467
New Boot

Vegas Media.
Arial.
WMV (9).
Best, 1280x720.

It's most noticable with red background or red text. Maybe use a different codec? It appears to be a compression problem.
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #468
Inner Circle

Hmmmm,
I use Arial all the time in the generated media and for WMV it works very well but I'm rendering to either 720X480 or smaller for the web.
Also I never render at BEST Good has served me well. Perhaps it has more to do with the size you're rendering too, 1280X720. Let me think somemore about this.

Don
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #469
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Harris
It's most noticable with red background or red text. Maybe use a different codec? It appears to be a compression problem.
It's the reds that are giving you grief. That's one of, if not the most, difficult colour for video to handle. If you saw any of the Olympics opening ceremonies (one scene almosty totally in red), you'll know what I mean.
I make sure to keep reds well below the 235 max, generally no more than 200.
BTW, there's a good article titled Great Titles with the DV Codec at http://www.creativecow.net/articles/...les/index.html

Mike
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #470
Inner Circle

Mike,
You know I looked at the thread and didn't even see RED-thanks for reminding me. I had to get to a gig by 5AM after getting in from 1 last night at midnight so the brain is fully functional yet.

Don
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #471
Inner Circle

Step 1 - figure out who will be watching your video online, and what their available bandwidth is. Modem, DSL/Cable, T1, OC3?

Step 2 - figure out how much buffering is acceptable before your audience decides to click away from your content. In other words, will they wait 8 seconds or 2 minutes?

Step 3 - now, size your video. File | Render As | Custom | Bitrate. You'll find that in many cases your 720x480 looks bad at lower bitrates, and you'll be back to the Video tab looking at other frame sizes ranging from 160x120 up through 640x480 (the square pixel equiv. of 720x480).

Test as needed. Frequently, something gets sacrificed because with the current state of internet access and technology it mostly isn't the same as full-screen full-motion TV. Sorry.

If you are using a true WM streaming server, you can also create a multiple bit rate file, that will have perhaps 2 or 3 bitrates included, the server negotiates the appropriate bitrate with the client. An alternative for progressive download is creating multiple versions of your WMV sized for different available bandwidths, and let the user decide which one they want.
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #472
Regular Crew

Well after hours of carefully reviewing the video it turns out only the initial scene looks weak. One thing that stood out was the interface between black shirt and black skin was "blocky". But most of the other shots look good. Still haven't heard back concerning my priviledges to post attachments.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #473
Major Player

Thanks... I am going to encode as h.264 as well. If my potential clients don't have highspeed, I will mail them one.

Stinks that 30 secs equals about 20+mbs.

Jon
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #474
Inner Circle

6.0d is out

For those of you who were waiting, it's here!!

Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 6.0d

* Support for VR-mode DVD Handycam® camcorder discs has been improved. When importing video from Sony DVD Handycam discs in VR or Video mode, each chapter is now imported as a separate file.
* The MainConcept AVC/AAC codec has been added to Vegas. You can use this plug-in to import H.264 video in your projects and to render H.264 video (including support for HD frame sizes, two-pass encoding, main and baseline profiles, export to all common frame rates— including NTSC, PAL, and 24p— and Apple iPod® video format).

Please continue to use the Sony AVC/AAC encoder to create video for the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable).
* Video quality has been improved for the Sony AVC/AAC encoder and rendering templates have been refined.
* A problem has been fixed that could cause problems when reading AVI files with MP3-encoded audio.
* A bug has been fixed that could cause Vegas to hang in some low-memory situations.
* A bug has been fixed that could cause Vegas to crash after copying and pasting Bézier mask keyframes between events.
* A bug has been fixed that could cause Vegas to crash when pressing Alt+Shift+4 to toggle external monitor preview when the Video Preview window is not visible.
* A problem has been fixed that could cause nested projects to display the incorrect length.
* Audio/video synchronization has been improved when reading certain QuickTime files.
* High-definition Windows Media Video rendering templates now use the Windows Media Audio 9 codec for improved device compatibility.
* A problem has been fixed that could cause a hang when burning a disc-at-once CD with the Plextor 716 SATA drive.
* A display issue with Waves GTR plug-ins has been fixed.
* A problem has been fixed that could occur when editing audio event properties on systems that use decimal separators other than a period.
* A problem has been fixed that could occur when typing nondelimited timecode in the Vegas external video capture application in PAL format.
* Various improvements have been made to the Media Manager.
* A problem that could cause XFX audio effects to run in demo mode has been fixed.
* Fixed a problem that could occur when running the Batch Render script without Quick Time installed.
* Resolved an issue with recapture of media from an AAF import.
* A bug has been fixed that occurred when setting the Timecode InPoint value of a media source during AAF export.
* A bug has been fixed that could cause Vegas to crash when adding some MPEG-2 files to the timeline and converting YUV 4:2:0 color to RGB.
* Last-used render templates are now preserved for each rendering format.
* Issues with certain VST plug-ins that related to presets and settings have been fixed.
* A problem with the ripple function sometimes creating very small event overlaps has been fixed.
* Scripting: a problem has been fixed that could prevent RenderArgs flags (such as IncludeMarkers) from changing the render settings.
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #475
Trustee

Perfect timing! I have to prepare DVDs this weekend for a film screening. Now I will be able to bundle a H.264 version of the video.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #476
Major Player

And they FINALLY fixed the audio plugins reverting to demo mode caused in the 6.0c release. I'll be downloading this tonight.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #477
New Boot

Thanks for the help guys! That article is just what I needed.
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #478
Regular Crew

thanks for the heads-up!
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #479
Major Player

Thanks Mike, that did the trick
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #480
New Boot

Mono to Stereo

I have some old 8mm video which is in Mono sound. When I captured it it shows on the left track. Can I create,copy the left track to the right so I will have 2 tracks. I would like to be able to pan to the left right later on.
tks
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...