Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM   #526
Sponsor: JET DV

How about the "Damaged Goods" video clips. There's a review in Vol 4, #1 of my newsletters. Here's the link to the product: http://uvtvproductions.com/damaged.html
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:10 AM   #527
Regular Crew

New Flip Video Plug-in

Hi Everyone,

I recently noticed that the image flipping capability built-in to Vegas' Track Motion is very slow at simple vertical and horizontal image flipping. Image flipping is a nice thing to have right inside Vegas for those people using 35mm SLR lens adapters on video cameras. The source footage will be both vertically and horizontally flipped, so you need some way to get it unflipped. You can do this outside of Vegas with VirtualDub, for example, but that requires an additional render to new .avi files.

I wanted a way to do it seemlessly right inside Vegas, with virtually real-time playback. So I wrote a simple flip plugin that does this. It allows you to flip the video vertically and/or horizontally.

On a reasonably fast computer with SD footage, playback should be real-time, and it shouldn't affect playback of HD footage too greatly.

Here's an example using 29.97fps (60i) DV source footage on my P4 2.8GHz machine:

Applying vertical and horizontal flip with Sony's Pan/Crop or Track Motion causes playback to drop to 13-14 frames per second.

Using this new plug-in with vertical and horizontal flip, playback stays virtually right at 29.97 frames per second.

You can get it here:

http://www.mirkwood.com/vegas/flip

Please let me know if you use it!

Thanks!
Adam Woodworth

Last edited by Adam Woodworth; February 21st, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM   #528
Regular Crew

Sony Vegas Movie Studio ????'s

I have just started using the Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD and I have a couple of questions.

My Equipment is as follows.

CAMERA
Sony HDR-FX1

Computer.
Dell 350 Workstation
Windows XP Professional
3Ghz processor.
1 Meg of ram
(2) 36 gig SCSI hard drives. One for programs and the other for the footage.
Firewire card.
On board sound

Presently the only editing I will be doing will be in the DV format in the 4:3 ratio.

1. Is there any ability to color balance the footage using the color bars to balance to the camera at the time of transfer? i.e create a split screen and color balance.

2. I want to output the final edit to a DVD. The manual only mentions approved devices, but I cannot find a list anywhere in the manual or online for that matter, that gives any specifications about approved or suggested DVD burners.

I am going to assume that it would need to be firewire compliant, but is there anything else it should have or do?

3. The Dell is set up for dual monitors. Will the Sony Vegas Movie Studio program support dual monitors?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM   #529
Inner Circle

New 6.0d iPod output working fine

After struggling with various shareware that was difficult and buggy, I'm glad to say that the new MainConcept AVC/AAC codec included in the 6.0d release works GREAT for iPod output. (use the iPod template.)

10 minutes later my son had his latest video project on his iPod, all working and rendering just as Vegas should.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM   #530
Jubal 28

Have you tried using the horizontal/vertical flip in the pan/crop tool?

EDIT: Yes, you said that. Missed it. Sorry.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM   #531

This plug is real-time. In the Pan/Crop, and Track Motion tools, it's not realtime on playback, because of the way the scaling is optimized in Vegas.
Therefore, the plug is very, very useful.
http://www.vasst.com
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM   #532
Major Player

I don't have a video iPod, but I was wondering if you cut the bit rate in half for audio and video from the default template, would it still play fine on the iPod (albeit at lower quality). So, that'd be 64 kbps audio and 256 kpbs video. Care to give it a shot and let me know? Thing is, I'd like to start posting video clips to the web, but 512 video + 128 audio makes for some file sizes that are larger than I'd like to host.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM   #533
Major Player

Vegas output to DV tape

I am new to Vegas, and am ordering guide books and registering for an instructional course, but I have a question the the almost-useless "Quick Start guide " doesn't answer. I would like to output many of my final projects to DV tape, but that doesn't seem to be an option in the guide. What is the best way to do this ?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM   #534

Tools/Print to DV tape is the easiest/most efficient method.
http://www.vasst.com
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:03 AM   #535
Inner Circle

Well, I've rendered the test - now if I can only get my son to hold still while I borrow the iPod for a few minutes... hope to report on this soon.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:00 AM   #536
Major Player

It should work fine. I've rendered lower resolution files like this and they play fine on my iPod. But those weren't rendered out of Vegas. I'll give this a try too, as I'd be interested to see the results. Let us know how your tests turn out Seth.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM   #537
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Well... you have the standard dissolves you could use to dissolve from one to the other. Using some transitions may look more like morphing than others. However, there's also the tools from www.debugmode.com which includes WAX and WinMorph.
Hey Ed,

I'm not sure this works with Vegas 6. Do you know for sure?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #538
New Boot

Upgrade timing question

Sony is offering $125 off if you spend $500 so I could upgrade from MS Platinum to Vegas plus DVD for $450. That's the best deal I've seen in the couple of years I've been watching it. My dilemma is I think there could be some major HDV upgrades in the next version of Vegas. I still have a couple of dv projects to finish before I start on my first major HDV project so I'm in no big rush. Of course I have no idea when the next version of Vegas will come out or what will be in it. So is anybody else thinking about this or have some helpful insight to guide a hesitant and confused person? Thanks,

Mark
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM   #539
Major Player

quality of preview on secondary display...

Whenever I view a project on my secondary display, whether it's lcd #2 or the tv, the quality is directly affected by the size of the preview window in Vegas 6. Is this normal? It's a PITA to keep resizing the preview window just to get a decent external preview quality...
Thanks for any advice.
Vin
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM   #540
Regular Crew

is your preview window set to "preview (auto)"? you can set it to "best (auto)" but i'm not sure how smooth it would run in an external monitor.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...