Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #556
Inner Circle

half-bitrate test results

FINALLY pried the device out of my son's hands. Had to tell him I'd burn him a DVD with his latest projects...

I halved the video and audio bitrates - works fine on the video iPod and file size went from about 31MB to 13MB (for a 7:21 file).

Played it over the good monitors and couldn't hear any difference nor see any difference on the iPod screen.

FYI.
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #557
Major Player

Good man, great news! Thanks for running that test. Well, it's safe to say for me at least, that 6.0d is worth it for this feature alone. I was sick of rendering out to avi and then importing/exporting from Quicktime. THANKS!!!
Old February 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #558
Major Player

It gets better.

I have 2.0 installed on another computer, and while it previews a mpeg2 video beautifully, and goes through the whole burning process without an apparent hitch, I had a repeat of the same problem I had yesterday--the menu images and the audio don't appear when I play the disc. Only the video does. Why?
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #559
Regular Crew

Removing 'head shine'

Howdy...

I have some video that is very well lit other than a nasty shine on the head and face of some of the talent, due to some oily skin.

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting rid of the shine without negitively affecting the contrast and brightness of the video?

Thanks,

- Ben
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #560
Old Boot

Ah! Just read your "other" post!

Hiyah Ben!

Well I did this for a chum here, but it was a shine on some polished fireplace. Could be a similar remedy - LOL!

No promises on the results, but if you wish, send me a "still" and I'll concoct a VEG for you.

Grazie
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #561
Regular Crew

I apreciate the offer, but having you create the file for me is hardly a way I'll learn. Could you perhaps detail your technique, and then I and all who read this email can benefit?

Thanks,

- Ben
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #562
Wrangler

"Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!" --Bullwinkle

;)

Ben, it could be that if you let our dear "Old Boot" here concoct something for you he might share the technique once he's got something. I'm with you; would love to see some of his magic!
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #563
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Freedman
I apreciate the offer, but having you create the file for me is hardly a way I'll learn. Could you perhaps detail your technique, and then I and all who read this email can benefit?

Thanks,

- Ben
Ben, I completely disagree:

1/- Once I make the veg you will see exactly how to do it.

2/- I would find this very difficult to explain here. It would take a better man than I to do a detailed "How To". If somebody wishes to do this - Good!

I will say I've done this very often for others, and they have been able to get on and do what they do.

Lorinda? "Bullwinkle"? What is that?

I'm up for "sharing", I do it very often, but one thing I wont do - and that is make things difficult for myself! . . And consequently others too!

The offer is still stands.

Best regards,

Grazie
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #564
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Lorinda? "Bullwinkle"? What is that?
He's a moose! You didn't get The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show in England? LOL! A classic!! It was an old, old cartoon starring a moose and a squirrel. There was always a sketch where Bullwinkle (in a tuxedo, I think) would call that out to Rocky. Anything but a rabbit always came out of the hat.

My sorry attempt at humor, Grazie--alluding to the notion that it might be tough concocting a fix without access to a still.

Nice of you to offer your help--mighty kind!!!
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #565
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
He's a moose! You didn't get The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show in England? . . . Anything but a rabbit always came out of the hat.
LOL!!!

I didn't see that one. I did see TOO much kids TV though, so I SHOULD have seen it.

"Alluding to the notion that it might be tough concocting a fix without access to a still."

Well yes, you are correct, but the reasons are at least 2-fold.

1/- These "shine" levels are truly dependent on just how much "shine" there is.

2/- PLUS actually using the still will provide me with an option to see what else could be done.

Grazie
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #566
Major Player

You mean the 1978 original Superman: The Movie? Could you post a small clip of what the opening sequence looks like?
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #567
Major Player

Hi Ben

This is one of those things that needs addressing before the shoot....
Get a women's make-up compact, and power the face of your talent...
If you look in most chemists or cosmetics outlets you'll find a tone that is neutral enough to use on most caucasien faces....

Once you've shot and recorded and your hi-lites are blown out they are gone, no soft ware will get them back...

regards

Gareth
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #568
Major Player

drop shadows on text

Hi Folks, I searched for the answer for the question I'm about to ask, and guess what? I found that I asked the same question when I was using Vegas 4, and I still don't have an answer. But I think I can ask the question in a much better way now.

OK here goes: I want a caption on some footage. I open a track above the scene that I'm going to caption. Then I click on media generators - choose text - default text - write the caption - place it where I want - add a drop shadow. And it looks fine. When I open the composite control, it shows that "source alpha" is checked.

Now here's where it stops working. I want to fade up the caption - so I add a "fade to color" envelope on the caption video track. As soon as I do that, the entire project goes black until I fade it up where I want the caption to come in.

Now, if I change the composite mode on the caption track to "add" - then the fade to color doesn't black out the project before I fade it up. BUT and this is the CRUX of the problem - it removes the shadow on the caption.

Is there a composite mode that will allow me to use both the shadow on the text and a "fade to color" envelope? Or do I need to use a different technique to fade in the caption?

I would like to get this issue solved as I continually choose to not use captions when I know I should, because I can't get the shadow on it. I really like a shadow on my captions.

I really appreciate any answers you can give me here.
Milt Lee
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #569
Major Player

how to save rendered m2t

After I have done my editing with the CF-avi Vegas does a render to m2t then prints back to tape. How do I keep that final m2t on file without having it to render again if I need to print additional copies??
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #570
Sponsor: JET DV

Don't add a "Fade to Color" envelope. To fade-in a title, move the mouse over the upper left corner of the event and it will turn into a quarter circle. When it does, click and drag to the center. The farther you drag, the longer the fade. You can do the same fading out by moving to the upper right-hand corner. The same also applies to video and audio events.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...