Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM   #616
Major Player

If going to DVD, what would be the best form to render in?
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM   #617
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Vinyard

I keep mines in the cineform intermeidate format and go to sd dvd it looks good.

All it is is just swaping or replacing the m2t files right?

Thanks again Douglas!
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #618
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Vinyard
The best thing to do is render to 16x9 (widescreen) SD MPEG2, and make sure your DVD authoring software is capable of processing this correctly. The end result should be a disc which fills a 16x9 screen without distortion when played on a DVD player which is set for 16x9 output, and plays with black bars on the top and bottom when played to a 4x3 TV.
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:54 PM   #619
Major Player

Handles it very well, I discovered this evening.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM   #620
Regular Crew

Vegas Fails to Recognise field Order?

When I render out an uncompressed avi as progressive 16:9 and bring the clip back into Vegas, it defaults to upper field first with aspect ratio 1. It's really annoying to have to right click and change the field order and aspect ratio every time, is there a reason it isn't recognising the field order and aspect ratio?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM   #621
Regular Crew

You mean bring it back to the same project or a new project. What are your default project properties?

In the project properties dialog box there's a button (folder symbol) for matching media settings. Click on it and then point to your rendered progressive file and the project properties will match those of the file.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:55 AM   #622
Major Player

You could always burn to blue-ray, release of Samsungs drive is due in April. My fingers are crossed, LOL

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...+Nikko%29.html
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #623
Major Player

Hi,

I have always had the same issue with Vegas - render to a 'Progressive' Windows .AVI using Vegas and Vegas will still insist that the file is 'Upper Field First' when attempting to detect the file properties in your Project Settings. Is there a problem with the render or the detection?

As a matter of fact I have never had any reasonable explanation from anyone over the years as to why Vegas does not correctly detect the field order of a file or is it really Vegas that is wrong?

I have had this issue creating files with Boris RED 3GL, MainConcept's MainVision 1.1, Combustion 4, etc. etc. and the problem is that you never know which application is at fault i.e. is Boris RED 3GL (for example) REALLY creating a file which is 'Lower Field First' (as you specified) or is Vegas detecting the field order (and other information) incorrectly?

On numerous occasions I have had to use something like TMPGenc to view the file frame by frame (or field by field) to try and detect the correct field order and even that is not foolproof.

Any comments?

Regards,

Dale.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM   #624
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Paterson
I have always had the same issue with Vegas - render to a 'Progressive' Windows .AVI using Vegas and Vegas will still insist that the file is 'Upper Field First' when attempting to detect the file properties in your Project Settings. Is there a problem with the render or the detection?
I've just tried it out and I don't have this issue in Vegas 6.0d with PAL DV. When I match my project settings to my deintrlaced AVI file, I get Field order: None (progressive scan).

What version are you using?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:42 AM   #625
Major Player

Hello,

Using 6.0d.

Dale.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM   #626
Major Player

Just did some further testing for interest sake:

It does not matter what field order you specify in your render template - if you output to Video For Windows / Uncompressed .AVI Vegas ALWAYS detects the Field Order as 'Upper Field First' regardless of what field order you used in your render template.

Regards,

Dale.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM   #627
Regular Crew

three questions that are plagueing me

1. how come sometimes I can't ripple delete? its not lit up, rather, its greyed out...nothing seems to be in the way, but it won't let me, i have select the tracks and then I can move them around...
2. is there anyway to do picture in picture...imagine a TV show...in the bottom right corner the person doing sight language....possible in Vegas? sure..but how?
3. I have a music track on the timeline, i want to fade about 10 seconds of it for dialogue and then bring it back up, how do i add keyframes to do so? I don't want to split the track, just can't see any other option than lower the whole volume...
thanks for any help
cheers
Q
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #628
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
All it is is just swaping or replacing the m2t files right?
No. It is physically rendering the intermediary to an M2T file which you print to tape. Do not get this confused with swapping the media in the media pool to M2T. It is not the same thing. Either way, the trip back to tape requires you to render all of your edits to the format of the camera which, in this case, is M2T.

~jr
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM   #629
Inner Circle

1. Don't know why you sometimes can't ripple after delete. Sometimes Vegas doesn't do what you'd expect because the focus isn't in the correct area - try Alt-0 to bring focus to the tracks. Do click on the little triangle next to the ripple button and check out the various ripple options. There are also keyboard shortcuts that many Vegas editors prefer to the ripple button. Check the keyboard shortcuts section in the help file for "F" key combinations for "post edit ripple".

2. PIP is easy with Vegas. Put the "insert" in a top video track and your "background" video in a track below. Click the track motion button (two squares with an arrow) in the header of the "insert" video track and drag the size and position of the wireframe there, while watching your video preview. Some juggling of window sizes and positions may be neccessary to see both. Two displays is really nice. You'll need to learn about "sync cursor" and keyframes to make most effective use of this control, check out the help file.

3. Music fade - also easy. Insert a volume envelope by highlighting the music track, right click the track header, pull down to insert volume envelope. Now there's a blue line through the middle of your music track. Double click on the line to create ummm... anchors? What does Vegas call them? Points? You'll need four of them to duck the music under a piece of dialog, two to define each volume change. Make them, drag them around, they are easy and versatile.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM   #630
Sponsor: JET DV

For more information on creating a PIP, you might take a look at the first few issues of my newsletters.

For deleting with ripple, make sure you have the proper ripple mode set or use the appropriate Post Ripple Edit mode. Just do a search for "ripple" in the help file.

Volume envelopes are definitely very flexible. You can quickly add one to any selected audio tracks by pressing "V" and then add points as needed to adjust the volume levels.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...