Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #646
Sponsor: JET DV

I don't know of a way to add a PNG to a generated media list. That's typically what people use the Media Manager for.
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM   #647
Regular Crew

I did three burns on three different brands with the same result each time. I only did one of the 60i burns so maybe my DVD burner is crapping out and I got lucky on the 60i burn??? This was 1 hour 37 minute program and it had to be re-compressed to fit but so did the 60i version. I burned 4 of my Demo DVD's as test cases. They are 60i and all worked fine but they only have about 15 minutes of video. I'm very puzzled. It acts like its a read problem or bandwith problem. The video image looks excellent. I have ordered some Taiyo Yuden DVD's since they seem to have a good reputation.
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #648
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
HDV is a form of HD, so the question is whether you'd benefit from converting to some other HD codec. If your video card has HD component in then you'd have to know what format it uses to capture and edit HD video, and that might not be any better than working directly in HDV.
Reading about it so far, I guess DVCPRO-HD is better then HDV. The 4:2:2 color or something like that is a lot better in quality as well, when working with Green screen, etc, etc...(From what I read about Nicholas Bartlett and his using the DVCPRO-HD format and the others agreeing with it.

I'm not a pro and I'd gladly just work with HDV format. It's working with my Vegas Movie Platnum format but it does take time.

I am just curious if it could be done with the Platnum and if there was some way of doing it.

My graphics card has component and cable input. It's built to receive HD content to record with the ATI program. I guess I should read up on the graphics card and see how it saves the HD format. I'm guessing it'll be H.264 format?
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #649
Regular Crew

Video choppy

VV6.0 editing 1080/24p, 1920 x 1080 -> .mov or .avi and rendered video is choppy/slow. I assume its my video monitor and /or video card. What is the best video monitor / card for this type of editing. PC is 3.0ghz, 2.0 gb Ram WinXP SP2. . .Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #650
New Boot

Edward, I've tried the demo of both versions. I like the way heroglyph integrates with vegas but BluffTitler seems to be a little more versatile with respect to creativity. I'm leaning on Heroglyph though. Thanks for your input.
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #651
Major Player

split screen effect in Vegas Movie

Is it possible to do a split screen in Vegas Movie?

I've seen a work of cloning in Vegas Pro where you have one guy show up as two people in one setting. I'm assuming it should be possilbe to do a split screen in Vegas Movie...

Seeing a friends work on Final Cut Express has peaked my interest in replicating something like that for a video project that I'm working on.

Also, I've been looking for a way to lower the audio for a portion of the video. I can't seem to get it to gradually lower the audio for the portion of the video that I want to use. Basically the music gradually lowering to a level where the voice can be heard clearly and the music is a background then gaining back the music when the narration is done.

When I try lowering the audio, it just seems to lower all of the audio clip.
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #652

Very easy. You can do this with masks, Track Motion, or Pan/Crop. Any of the three will work. Track Motion will squeeze the images, Pan/Crop will crop out half the image. A mask will allow you to blur the line between the two.
Read my recent tutorial on masking in VMS for an idea of how to achieve this.

http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...b-9fb00aa783ce
To lower audio, select the audio track you wish to lower the various volume points on, and hit the "V" key to insert a volume envelope. Doubleclicking the blue envelope allows you to put in "rubber band" volume points.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #653
Regular Crew

Im looking to do a mulitple split screen, ala 'Woodstock' (for those old enough) . Would you do the same method ? Thanks. ..
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #654
Major Player

If you are watching the video off of the timeline it will look choppy. Vegas has a tough time keeping a constant frame rate during playback. However if you render your project and then play it, it should look fine.
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #655
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i rendered out using DV NTSC template - went into custom and changed to uncompressed & progressive .. dropped rendered clip back into and it has correct pixel aspect with lower field 1st = vegas see's clip as interlace in Vegas explorer..

render out as DV25 progressive and Vegas sees clip as progressive ..
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #656
Major Player

Douglas,

Thank you. I got the audio to work. It worked perfectly. Click V on the audio you wish to work on and double clicking on the purple line that is newly created on the audio selected, as you said. I was a little confused about the blue envelope that you mentioned but a little trial and error and it works. :)

Now, I'll have to see if I can do the split screens with multiple movies playing on those screens, next!
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #657
Major Player

HDV capture in Vegas6... help

When I'm capturing--- everyone once in a while I see a slight hesitation and I see a new filename/clip...so its creating multiple clips.

How can I turn that off?
I wanna capture the full tape in one big m2t file.

Thanks

FYI: That includes... Corpus Christi, Galveston, Houston, Beaumont/ Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Penscola, Ft. Walton, Panama City... Any every little city and town in between.

If you need anything, Let's talk...
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #658
Regular Crew

Finally! -A Decent HDV Capture Utility

HDVSplit is a free HDV Capture Utility that does Scene Detection (which Vegas 6d LACKS) and detects dropped frames/packets during capture (which Vegas 6d also LACKS). It just for Windows users but it's the best Capture Utility I have used (though I do not use Cineform because of using GearShift instead).

Download version 0.75 here:
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/
Some Discussion is Here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=780721

Supported HDV camcorders:
Sony HDR-HC1
Sony HVR-A1
Sony HDR-FX1

If anyone tries this with a Z1u, I'm sure the author, Paviko, would appreciate knowing if it works. I personally want to thank Paviko for doing what Sony has failed to do - make a descent HDV Capture Utility - the 6d update was a real letdown for me in that area, even though 6d had some other great additions. What really bugs me is that you buy Sony Vegas 6 AND Sony FX1 (or whichever Sony HDV), and Sony just seemed to do nothing on the link between them. The Vegas HDV Capture Utility just leaves you with one massive file - SONY do you think I really want to manually find the start of every shot? I presume that Sony did this because they figure that everyone is going with CineForm, but not true. And for those who don't buy CineForm, Sony should offer something comparable to their DV Capture Utility with a minimum of the above two features.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #659

Turn off scene detection.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #660
Inner Circle

Shawn:

I saw another thread on here where complaint was that Vegas was breaking up his HDV capture into individual clips-- Doug Spotted Eagle responded to turn off scene detect in the capture utility. That leads me to believe yours is turned off....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...